Post with download link for latest 2.11 ROM - Instructions in text file (Thanks to Jamesgangut) http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=864
Firmware and Rom sd update package uploaded is specifically for those unlocked GSM ROW users who want to update to the latest fix given by Palm. If you have 1.04 ROW, then this is for you. As a bonus, Updated splash screens and default wallpaper to Unlocked, thanks Tomtastic!files that we normally complained about were removed thereby increasing db cache. Language option is automatically set for English. If you use another language, this update is not foryou.
*For those who have already updated and are a using Treo 680 ATT, see post below for the 4 files needed for you.
Updated splash screens and default wallpaper to Unlocked, thanks Tomtastic!
There were no apps added to rom as there is no need for it. Also, this has not been tried yet and its safer not to.
This package does not contain Versamail, DTG, Clock, Voice memo, Calculator and other files unnecessary for a lean rom. This was done to give you the biggest possible db Cache available for the Treo 680. Files that have been removed can be safely installed in ram.
Download Link for Treo680MaxDbCacheSdUpdateUnlockedGSM.zip - http://www.4shared.com/file/17676942...lockedGSM.html
So what's the benefit of a smaller rom? Faster boot up times after a
reset and of course, a bigger db cache. Those apps removed can be installed in ram. Space previously occupied by these files are now used by OS db cache.
Just follow the sd card update instructions here.
Preparing the SD card
Double-click the downloaded file to decompress it. Windows will unzip the file to a PALM folder containing several individual files.
1. Format the expansion card, either on your Windows PC, or in your Treo 680 smartphone.
We'll show you how to do it on your desktop PC. This will erase all data on the expansion card.
* Insert the expansion card into a card reader, and insert the reader into your Windows PC.
* On your Windows machine, open up My Computer.
* Right-click the SD Card reader, and select Format...
* Give it a name under Volume Label, and select Quick Format. Click Start.
* When finished, confirm the format by clicking OK, then click OK to complete the formatting.
2. On your Windows PC with the expansion card still inserted, copy the PALM folder in its entirety into the root directory (top level, no subfolders) of the expansion card.
3. Backup your data thru hotsync or backup software such as resco backup. After this is done, Perform a hard reset.
4. Turn off the phone radio and once this is done, insert your sd card.
5. The update will begin immediately. You must erase all data to proceed with the update. Select Proceed when prompted with the warning shown.
What to do, what to expect
- Make sure you’re Treo is plugged to using the AC adapter. Do not use a your Palm car charger. Do not remove your AC adapter until the upgrade is finished. Ensure that it is properly plugged before proceeding. Not doing so might result in an incomplete phone firmware upgrade which will make your treo unusable. Load sd card.
- Don't do a manual reset during the entire process or else you'll risk having an incomplete update. Don't touch the screen, tap, press any button or use your stylus until prompted for a reply on the screen.
- Device Customizer launches and you see the words, Treo 680 Customizer. Be patient while firmware files load to ram.
- Warning message will appear. Proceed if you're sure you have already backed up. Upon confirmation, "Please wait" appears.
- It will reset and start on its own. Just be patient as the LCD will just be white. After a minute or so, you’ll see the firmware updating.
"Updating Treo, Warning: Do not reset during the update process! Downloading Firmware"
- When it reaches 100 percent, the message “Please wait” appears.
- Files for ROM update are now loading to ram.
- You just have to wait at this point, be patient.
- Device Updater info appears and updates rom. It automatically resets your Treo 4 times. If its more than 4, don't panic and do a manual reset. Just be patient and wait.
- After automatically resetting for 4 times, you'll see "Use stylus to tap center of target". Go through this process to calibrate the touchscreen.
- You should be seeing date and time set up
- Your Treo 680 is now updated.
Restoring Data, Final Instructions
- Perform a HotSync operation with your Windows pc machine to restore the data you backed up at the beginning. (see *note for hotsync users)
- The new sd update has a default carrier db of 292.
- If you used software such as resco backup, full restore as usual but exclude carrierprofiles2 and networkprofiles2. Reset afterwards.
- If you have previously updated with the patches released by Palm for the battery drain and security issue fix, also exclude the lfollowing files (CameraLib-camL, HsNav, HsNav_enUS and a temp installer file)
*note for hotsync users - Using filez or resco explorer, delete carrierprofiles2 and networkprofiles2. Reset afterwards,
If you have previously updated with the patches released by Palm for the battery drain and security issue fix, just delete the files enumerated above.
Go to Phone, menu Phone info
You should see the following details:
Carrier DB: 292
Congratulations, you have successfully updated.
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if something unfortunate happens to your treo 680. You use the file uploaded to update your device on your own free will.
Credit to this custom rom goes out to jamesgangut, MFB and tomtastic. : )