Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13535859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1377
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.who View Post
    I've just purchased a shiny new unbranded 680 and I'm tempted to install a custom rom. If I do so but then decide to go back to the original rom, can I re-install the 2.12 update from the Palm website, or will it not allow me if it thinks the rom is already updated?
    I'm in the same boat - I *think* the answer is yes, we can run the official updater to go back, but I'd love confirmation of this from one of the gurus...
  2.    #1242  
    Yes you can. The thing you have to keep in mind is the updater will check the version tokens. So running the updater first for the full version you want then apply the custom.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Yes you can. The thing you have to keep in mind is the updater will check the version tokens. So running the updater first for the full version you want then apply the custom.
    Thanks. Took the plunge. Everything seems to be working and DB Cache has increased from 23M to 35M. Brilliant!
    Thanks, it's worked really for me as well. Much much faster than the official updater too
    I have a new unlocked cinular 680 and using it with t-mobile and t-zones. The phone seems to be really stable but I'd like to get rid of the stuff that I don't wont use but wonder if using a custom rom would be a foolish move an make the 680 less stable. Right now the phone if firmware 1.91 software 2.11-ATT abd cc-cap Att-Nr1-005 and a carrier DB of 510. I don't intend making the plunge unless someone has been through this before. I have owned very stable 650s and don't want to sacrifice stabilty. I should mention I had a brand new 680 for a long time in a draw and put it there because of it's instability on the t-moble network. My son is using it now. I still have my 650.
    The Bernster
    Quote Originally Posted by befranklin View Post
    I have a new unlocked cinular 680 and using it with t-mobile and t-zones. The phone seems to be really stable but I'd like to get rid of the stuff that I don't wont use but wonder if using a custom rom would be a foolish move an make the 680 less stable. Right now the phone if firmware 1.91 software 2.11-ATT abd cc-cap Att-Nr1-005 and a carrier DB of 510. I don't intend making the plunge unless someone has been through this before. I have owned very stable 650s and don't want to sacrifice stabilty. I should mention I had a brand new 680 for a long time in a draw and put it there because of it's instability on the t-moble network. My son is using it now. I still have my 650.
    My 680 phone info currently reads:

I have an AT&T 680 that I unlocked. In December I installed the most recent AT&T update and then used the stripped, unbranded custom ROM image for ATT listed earlier in this thread. I haven't looked back. Other than beta testing reasons, my Treo has not reset since I installed the ROM image. I have no stability issues and I couldn't be happier with deciding to do the custom image install. This has been my experience, but YMMV.
    Ok sorry for the daft question in a first post, going through the instructions, and it says, "turn off the radio"...urm am i missing something how?
    Push and HOLD the red "End" button and the radio will shut off. Hold it again and it will turn back on. A quick push only turns the screen off.
    Yeah sorry i was being very dim

all sorted now i think, no more at&t although it seems to have left some files in the ram section, can i delete those?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    My 680 phone info currently reads:

I have an AT&T 680 that I unlocked. In December I installed the most recent AT&T update and then used the stripped, unbranded custom ROM image for ATT listed earlier in this thread. I haven't looked back. Other than beta testing reasons, my Treo has not reset since I installed the ROM image. I have no stability issues and I couldn't be happier with deciding to do the custom image install. This has been my experience, but YMMV.
    I too made the jump and installed a custom Rom and everything seems to be working okay. The one thing I did notice though was a lag when you hit the menu button. Has anyone observed this? Additionally the rom removed Addit but I notice a bunch of Addit files in my backup, does anyone know if you can safely remove these files from backup and in RAM?

B. Franklin
    The Bernster
    Greetings to all.
    I have a treo 680 gsm unlocked, which i have upgraded to the latest 2.12 official Palm Rom (2.12 ROW - Rirmware: R01.92).
    I would like to install a custom rom like 2.12 MaxDBCash without VM,ptunes etc.
    I read trough this forum, but i could not really point to the right updater to install.Anyone so kind to help me with that?
    Thanks in advance.
    Danilo
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    Don't know if this is what you're looking for ?
    http://www.4shared.com/file/37705690...d-ROM-212.html
    It's a stripped SD installer (not in jamesganguts format) and will update both firmware and ROM, but it's untested so you'll need to be either brave or stupid to try it.
    Tom,
    Ur post refers to the 2.12 ROW update right? Or is this the AT&T 2.12 (and customised to unbranded)?

Edit: Yup It's the 2.12 ROW update. I also missed the fact that the official AT&T update is actually 2.11 not 2.12.. Oops!

One More thing, I have to copy these to SD card and then to Ram and install from there (Like James Instructions) right?
    Or Do I just copy it all to SD Card and Hard reset. Didnt quite follow which method to be used. Thanks for the info guys!

Edit: Despite reading this entire thread I didn't pickup that Tom's ROM is installed the same way as the official ROM.. DUH! So anyway.. Ignore the above! Ta!
    Last edited by Dunebug; 05/12/2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Figured it out
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I have a Treo 680 with Palm's 2.12-ROW update and James' 1.12 Unlocked/Unbranded Version. Other than the wired car kit, will I see any difference if I install Tomtastic's 2.12 stripped ROM?
    Well, i have installed the customRom 2.12 i have found in this forum, and i also experienced the problem with mms.. then i had a look at the tomstatic web site and .. uuhh, a customRom 2.13??? well, since i would like to buy a centro i would not mind to break my treo680.. so i gave it a try and it worked.. and i have the mms in order now.I will do more tests, but things look nice now.. good bless you, Tomtastic!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Does this make the 680 work on Verizon? I tried several search terms to search this thread but do not have time to read all 63 pages. I only found Verizon mentioned at the very beginning and one other time. Are you saying this custom rom will make an unlocked 680 work on Verizon's CDMA network? I thought GSM could not work on Verizon.
    Verizon only uses CDMA.
    680 is GSM hence will NEVER work on CDMA.

The single usage of the word 'Verizon' in this thread in post 984 (excluding yours and mine now) must have been a mistake.
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Quote Originally Posted by danilo2k View Post
    Well, i have installed the customRom 2.12 i have found in this forum, and i also experienced the problem with mms.. then i had a look at the tomstatic web site and .. uuhh, a customRom 2.13??? well, since i would like to buy a centro i would not mind to break my treo680.. so i gave it a try and it worked.. and i have the mms in order now.I will do more tests, but things look nice now.. good bless you, Tomtastic!
    Please don't use the ROM on my website, it's a work-in-progress and I only put up a link to share it with someone who's working on it with me. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    Please don't use the ROM on my website, it's a work-in-progress and I only put up a link to share it with someone who's working on it with me. Cheers.
    Sorry, i could not resist the temptation.. but if you want some feedbacks please let me know.I can say that so far it works very good.. 35 mb free od dbcache and all the garbage apps in rom are gone.. ahhh.
    Thus i will have to wait a bit more to buy myself a Centro.
    Btw, great work!
    Hi guys!

My beloved and "deeply - ROM customized" Treo 680 (thanks to tomtastic & holvoetn) went to my brother (after reinstalling the last official and untouched ROM!!!) and now I'm a quite happy owner of a black unlocked Centro GSM.

I'm very satisfied with size and battery performance, but the DbCache (in the "standard" configuration) is very very poor, so each time you launch an heavy application you get long lags (I assume some cache cleaning is performed by the system) and sometimes soft resets may happen (which never happened with the "customized" 680...)

I suppose we have to wait for an official Palm update of the ROM before trying to make some customizations, am I right?

Ciao from Italy

Sergio
    Just installed Tom's 2.12 ROW Custom ROM and boy does it rock! seems really good n I have 35MB DbCache! WOW! Everything also seems smooth as heck!

Only thing that scared me was a frozen white screen that showed up AFTER the 'Calibrate Touchsceen' and 'set date and time' screen. I did figure that if I got that far the update must have already succeeded and so after a 10 min wait (Just to be sure!) I reset the device and all worked great from then on!

A note for those wondering about the SMS receipts.. I have the option in the SMS Pref and tested it.. It works just fine (I'm not on Tmo though, I'm in Malaysia)! Also I installed the MMS files that were listed on post #1215
    and the SMS receipts option still shows up and MMS seems to work just fine too! Thanks alot once again Tom, James and MFB for all your hard work!

Ps: I tested a 4gb SDHC and that worked like a charm too!
    Last edited by Dunebug; 05/12/2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Added successful SDHC test