Page 57 of 69 FirstFirst ... 747525354555657585960616267 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1377
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orangemike View Post
    Hi
    I would like to start by thanking everyone for making my update possible (jamesgangut) and everyone else for their posts as I have solved many problems that I had after the first update.

I have custom 1 working and am very happy with it. Faster, leaner, meaner! However, I would like to add Versamail and have read that it can be installed (and deleted) afterwards.

I have found the files (46 of them) in the link in this thread: http://www.4shared.com/file/17048965...VM_online.html but was just wondering how to install them.

Do I install as a normal add-on or with Filez copying from SD to Internal?

Thx and sorry if this is a stupid question.
    Why you dont just install Cust2?

It has VM inside
    True enotar, I could install cust2 but I wanted to install to RAM as mentioned in #3 to keep the ROM small. Any advice on how to install it?
    Installing to RAM
    1, Through palm quick install
    2, From SD Card, using FileZ or RescoExplorer
    either way U can do it

Install all the 40 so files
    Yes. 1.12 is slower than 2.12 - around 3 seconds difference in PalmInternal. I did found, average free dbcache in 1.12 around 15mb, while in 2.12 around 10mb. It made long lag in 2.12 when viewing .flv in Kinoma.
    I suspect, Palm is slowing down the device in 1.12 (with improvement in batt), but promise more stable (because of more free dbcache).

Also, I found, updating to 2.12 takes longer time (significantly) than to 1.12, especially in "Copying updates" step (progress bar %).

Some users report, that MMS works fine in 2.12, but have problem in 1.12. If anyone can confirm this, I'd really appreciate.

The main reason I keep mine 1.12 is battery. 5 hours standby + some note taking, takes only 5%. In 2.12 it could take 10-15%...

Quote Originally Posted by matteosg View Post
    I'm the one who posted on SPUG....

There's a lag when I'm using 1.12 while the speed when running 2.12 is a lot faster. After using 2.12 for 2nd day, personally find it more stable compared to 1.12 (especially switching between app, bluetooth, phone app) but there seems to be no improvement in battery consumption.

Hope James & guys can take a look at this update, I'm pretty sure there's a difference between this 2 updates.

Matt
    No 'MMS' and 'SMS' trunkated to 160 characters: with 1.12 ROW Update as well as with Cust1 ROM

So something wrong with the firmware
    Last edited by drashran; 01/28/2008 at 01:03 AM.
    SMS trucate 160 chars already has the solution. I found somewhere in this discussion. If I am not wrong, you should use Phone Interface Layer (PIL) from the ROM, not from backup (which is 1.04 version). You can test it just after hard reset. I have no problem on SMS in 1.12 so far .
    Quote Originally Posted by drashran View Post
    No 'MMS' and 'SMS' trunkated to 160 characters: with 1.12 ROW Update as well as with Cust1 ROM

So something wrong with the firmware
    I think it is 'Phone Intreface library' ur talking about.
    Creator ID: PIL!
    Size: 157k
    It is in ROM it came with updater
    Version: v1.0

I tried Singapore SMS update. Got an error message: 'v1.12 does not require this update'. Actually it comes as a installer file, so it cannot be forced into RAM from SD card.

It is not yet solved.
    Erasing PIL! from saved preferance does not help!!!
    Hi, How do you apply 2.12 over 1.12? Im getting "not compatible" message. Thanks!
    Take out SD Card and SIM Card. Do hard reset 2-3 times, with 5-10 minutes idle time with battery unplugged. Then, after no battery for 10 minutes, put the battery, hard reset again, setting until finished, plug AC charger, and plug the SD installer. Leave the SIM Card outside, until update finished. Then, plug the SIM card, and do hard reset again.
    Quote Originally Posted by soperdoper View Post
    Hi, How do you apply 2.12 over 1.12? Im getting "not compatible" message. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by drashran View Post
    Installing to RAM
    1, Through palm quick install
    2, From SD Card, using FileZ or RescoExplorer
    either way U can do it

Install all the 40 so files
    Well I tried installing VM to my cust1 using the palm install tool so that it is in the RAM. If I click on Email I get a white screen momentarily, then it returns to the programs view. If I reset (remove battery) I get the following message:

Please load library
    MIDataLib.Lib

Any ideas what to do?
    Well I tried installing VM to my cust1 using the palm install tool so that it is in the RAM. If I click on Email I get a white screen momentarily, then it returns to the programs view. If I reset (remove battery) I get the following message:

Please load library
    MIDataLib.Lib

Any ideas what to do?
    I have attached the file, try coping from SD card to RAM
    And do a soft reset

Might help
    Attached Files Attached Files
    thanks Drashran, this cured the message however, VM still doesnt work!

Has anyone tried installing VM to RAM? I dont really want it in ROM the cust2 version...

Has anyone tried installing VM to RAM? I dont really want it in ROM the cust2 version...
    Try once copying all 40 so files from SD card to RAM (and lets us know )
    Question to orangemike: why keep VM eating up main memory when you can just as well have it in Flash ?
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user

Yes, I installed Versamail to RAM on one of the earlier Custom ROMs using the files James posted early in this thread (post #61), and everything worked fine. I used Cust2 with Versamail with 1.12 update, though, because it's a later version of VM and I knew I was going to continue using it, so I might as well have it in ROM.

If you're going to continue trying to install it to RAM, make sure you have installed ALL of the files in the zip file in post #61.
    Quote Originally Posted by holvoetn View Post
    Question to orangemike: why keep VM eating up main memory when you can just as well have it in Flash ?
    Because having it only in RAM gives you more DBCache available to other apps, that's why we use Custom ROM's in the first place.

It's just down to each user to decide how much DBCache v's apps in ROM they want

BTW I used Cust2, which has VM in the ROM
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I just tried transfering the files with Filez and it started giving me errors and stopped copying ... hmm, maybe I shall install cust2 after all...

ChristieC, how did you install it ?
    I just tried transfering the files with Filez and it started giving me errors and stopped copying ... hmm, maybe I shall install cust2 after all...

On my PC, I extracted the zip file to a normal folder and then I copied the folder to my memory card. I then used Resco Explorer to open that folder, did a "select all" and then, using the "Copy to" function in the "File" menu option in Explorer, I copied all of the files to RAM. That's all I needed to do.
    ok, will try again tomorrow. thanks all, I shall let you know how it goes.

Sometimes FileZ does not work well ResExplorer might be of help or copy one file at a time
    Hard Reset before copying the files to RAM