Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 545505152535455565758596065 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1377
    Answering my own question here - also posted this in the "problems" thread:

I have had the same data connection issue. Here's what I've found that has me baffled.

After the Palm update and then the James update, everything worked. I restored with BackupMan, excluding the Carrierprofiles2 and Networkprofiles2 files. VersaMail, xWeather, and Blazer all had no problem downloading data as they always have.

I did a Hotsync after this and then couldn't connect to anything. I did a hard reset, restored again, excluded the files again. All worked just fine. This time I went into my Hotsync Manager and made sure the phone was overwriting the computer so it wouldn't somehow re-establish old files. Same thing as before - nothing worked.

So, just for kicks, I go and restore Networkprofiles2 only. Now VersaMail and xWeather jump on lightning quick and update as fast as they ever have. I'm thinking I'm a genius and go to Blazer expecting it, too, to work fine. No such luck. Now I have all but Blazer going.

Soooo, I figure if Networkprofiles2 got stuff to work, maybe Carrierprofiles2 will as well. I restore that file only. xWeather still loads super fast. VersaMail loads super fast. And ..... Blazer still does nothing. Except it does! Half of my bookmarked sites work just fine, half say they can't connect. Now THAT'S weird! Turn the phone off, turn the phone on, and now everything works.

Wacky. I guess the lesson for folks still having trouble is to NOT exclude those two files if you're doing a JamesG update.

Hope that helps someone!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    A bonus I've found in this last full day of using the updated 1.12 custom ROM is that my signal is better everywhere. Where I had no signal at all before, I'm now getting at least 2 to 3 bars, and I'm getting full bars where I only got 2 to 3 before. I'm pretty psyched about that!
    The gain in signal strength seems to come from the updated firmware. My GPS receiver does not connect well with TomTom 6 on the updated 1.12 ROM. So I played a little and just updated the firmware, kept the previous 1.09 ROM, and got the following hybrid ROM:

Firmware: RO1.92
    Software: Treo680-1.09-ROW

It turns out that the hybrid works very well for me - TomTom 6 still works seamlessly while there is a significant gain in signal strength! Everything else works just as fine as before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledragon View Post
    The gain in signal strength seems to come from the updated firmware. My GPS receiver does not connect well with TomTom 6 on the updated 1.12 ROM. So I played a little and just updated the firmware, kept the previous 1.09 ROM, and got the following hybrid ROM
    Cool! How did you do that? The 1.09 installers I know about all seem to include firmware as well as ROM. Do you have a link?
    I have an AT &T 680 with TMo.
    Firmware R01.91
    Software Treo680-2.11-ATT
    Hardware:A

Is the new custom ROM good for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by drashran View Post
    Why U need DTG which is V 8.00, when U can install V10 or 10.0002 in RAM and save around 6MB in ROM memory
    About 5 times a year I find DTG useful. Version 8 is fine for that. It's not worth it to me to spend $30 for the upgrade for DTG 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by shsmith View Post
    Cool! How did you do that? The 1.09 installers I know about all seem to include firmware as well as ROM. Do you have a link?
    The 1.09 installer can be split too but you do not have to do that. If you still have the 1.09 cust ROM on your 680, get the 1.12 firmware from the following link that I uploaded, then update the firmware only to get the hybrid. If you have the 1.12 or 2.11 cust ROM on your 680, then reflash it with your favorite 1.09 cust ROM before doing the firmware update.

1 - Strictly follow Jamesgangut's instructions on the 2.11 firmware update in post#1 to run the 1.12 firmware update. Do it at your own risk!

2 - Use Resco Explorer, Zlauncher or FileZ to delete the 6 files copied into the RAM (2 "GSM..."files and 4 "Firmware..." files) after the soft reset.

http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=5450662
    Where's the romupdater.app located?

7- Run 3rd party app to copy the contents of the ROM folder to RAM. (See app instructions for help). Exit app.
    8- Making sure the power is plugged in locate the Romupdater app. (SD Card catagory) Run it.
    9- type low then hit enter/return. It will update the ROM. When it is done it will tell you it is done and to hard reset.
    10- Hard reset, restore data.
    I'm using Rogers (locked) Treo680. I was using AT&T v2.21 for a month before I switched today. I installed Rogers update 1.12 first and installed Jamesgangut's 1.12 unlocked/unbranded Cust1 version. The upgrade process was very smooth.

Thanks Jamesgangut!!!!

It feels faster than before.. (I'm sure, it just feels faster)
    3Com PalmPilot Personal > Handspring Visor Deluxe > Palm Tungsten T > PalmOne Tungsten T5 > PalmOne Treo650

Current Device: Palm Treo 680 w/1.12 Cust1 ROM, 4GB SDHC, GlobalSAT GPS Receiver
    ROMUpdater is located in SD card. Check SD category in Palm AppLauncher.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinner23 View Post
    Where's the romupdater.app located?

7- Run 3rd party app to copy the contents of the ROM folder to RAM. (See app instructions for help). Exit app.
    8- Making sure the power is plugged in locate the Romupdater app. (SD Card catagory) Run it.
    9- type low then hit enter/return. It will update the ROM. When it is done it will tell you it is done and to hard reset.
    10- Hard reset, restore data.
    3Com PalmPilot Personal > Handspring Visor Deluxe > Palm Tungsten T > PalmOne Tungsten T5 > PalmOne Treo650

Current Device: Palm Treo 680 w/1.12 Cust1 ROM, 4GB SDHC, GlobalSAT GPS Receiver
    ah, I see, my download didn't include that, for some reason. Tried again, and it was there. However, I can't seem to get the custom files onto my SD card using Card Reader. ANyone else have this problem? Is there a non SD method?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    "4- Using an SD card adapter copy the two folders to your SD card. PALM and ROM
    5- Get a 3rd party software app like Resco Explorer or FileZ. Copy it to the palm/launcher folder of the SD card."

okay, I've got the 2 files PALM and ROM on my SD card. I've got Resco Explorer prc file. I have to copy this file into the palm/launcher folder in the SD card. Correct?
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    "4- Using an SD card adapter copy the two folders to your SD card. PALM and ROM
    5- Get a 3rd party software app like Resco Explorer or FileZ. Copy it to the palm/launcher folder of the SD card."

okay, I've got the 2 files PALM and ROM on my SD card. I've got Resco Explorer prc file. I have to copy this file into the palm/launcher folder in the SD card. Correct?
    Yes, that's correct.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    Yes, that's correct.

Ok, just wanted to make absolutely sure since last I did this (way-back-when) I bricked my phone. Here I go....

Thanks.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Should read as:

5. Get a 3rd party software app like Resco Explorer or FileZ to prepare for step 7.

6. as the original written by Jamesgangut.

7. Run fileZ or Resco Explorer (3rd party software) and copy all files inside the ROM folder in your SD card to treo's RAM (internal memory.)
    Treo Maniac?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv View Post
    Should read as:

5. Get a 3rd party software app like Resco Explorer or FileZ to prepare for step 7.

6. as the original written by Jamesgangut.

7. Run fileZ or Resco Explorer (3rd party software) and copy all files inside the ROM folder in your SD card to treo's RAM (internal memory.)

Thanks for the clarification. I've copy the ROM contents to treo's RAM. I launch the RomUpdater prc file from the SD card (in palm/launcher folder). The phone reads it but nothing else happens. Did I miss something?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Never mind...I had to quit out of zlauncher inorder to launch romupdated from the Treo's basic launcher.
    Last edited by simba; 01/22/2008 at 09:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Just add some more words to step 5.

In order to launch the 3rd party app, you have to copy fileZ.prc or (rescoexplorer.prc) to PALM\Launcher on SD card or treo's RAM (internal memory.)
    Treo Maniac?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Completed latest custom rom and it went well. Whew! Didn't brick my phone.

Sorry for the questions on the instructions. Since I bricked my phone the last time I did this, I didn't want to take the chance of getting it all wrong.

Thanks all!
    Need for a newbie....
    I have a unlocked Treo680 AT&T branded and IŽd like to unbranded it....
    The phone is officially updated to:
    Firmaware: R01.91
    Software: Treo680-2.11-ATT
    CC-Cap: ATT-NR1-005
    Carrier DB: 510
    Hardware: A

What custom rom should I go for?

And...If IŽd like to use the spanish language...Is there exists a custom rom with it?

Thank you in advance!!
    Quote Originally Posted by alne View Post
    I am currently running custom ATT ROM from tomtastic and SergioA (2.11 with Versa Mail) (Firmware R01.91, Software 2.11). Can I use James's 1.12 custom ROM #2 to update my phone (to get 70 mb in storage heap back)? Is it safe with my current firmware? Thanks a lot for this great job!
    Hi there!

The answer in short is YES, but remember to HARD RESET the unit before upgrading! Here is my experience...

Just upgraded my Treo from "Tomcastic 2.11 + Versamail" to a slightly modified "James's 1.12 custom ROM #2" (got rid of Wired Car Kit and minor stuff): first of all I ran the official Palm 1.12 updater; as it wasn't stated in the "official" instruction, I didn't hard reset my Treo, simply turned the radio off; by doing so the first part of the upgrade (firmware) went smooth, but the second (rom) wasn't accomplished at all (I still had the English only rom with VM); so I HARD RESET the unit and went again with the upgrade, this time both firmware and rom were successfully upgraded (I had the choice of languages at startup); then I followed James instructions and installed the 1.12 custom ROM #2. All went fine ;-)

So thanks again James!

Ciao

Sergio