Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 444495051525354555657585964 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1377
    Quote Originally Posted by climber_rich View Post
    Any chance of getting a stripped rom with DTG only?
    Why U need DTG which is V 8.00, when U can install V10 or 10.0002 in RAM and save around 6MB in ROM memory
    Quote Originally Posted by gapleki View Post
    No, I had 1.09 MaxDB from MFB and straight updated using James Cust#1...

This is the first time I ever failed updating ROM since using Treo650...

Sigh
    From Post #1

Run after you have already run the official updater.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Dang, I missed that line... THANKS!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by drashran View Post
    Why U need DTG which is V 8.00, when U can install V10 or 10.0002 in RAM and save around 6MB in ROM memory
    Does DTG load any faster from ROM? I have 10.002 in RAM and it takes about 10 seconds to return to an open document. I wouldn't mind going back to 8.0 if it loaded instantly like on the centros.
    Quote Originally Posted by shsmith View Post
    Does DTG load any faster from ROM? I have 10.002 in RAM and it takes about 10 seconds to return to an open document. I wouldn't mind going back to 8.0 if it loaded instantly like on the centros.
    It will. All program that are in ROM are actually copied in RAM during boot process, and stay in the "DB CACHE" area. All programs that are in the VFS must first be copied to the cache, than they run. Forcing a program to stay in the the RAM (with Resco Locker for example) will achieve the same results....
    Quote Originally Posted by shsmith View Post
    Yes it loads faster on my Treo, after Cust1 ROM install.
    There will be lag time to load DTG, that is normal
  7.    #1067  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapleki View Post
    No, I had 1.09 MaxDB from MFB and straight updated using James Cust#1...

This is the first time I ever failed updating ROM since using Treo650...

Sigh

It didn't actually fail. The tokens are written as a step outside of firmware or ROM updating. If you run the official updater the tokens will be written. This is the reason I state to run the official updater. Also the official updater will flash the firmware. This is just the safest way to make it all work right.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    James,
    Still can't decide is it safe for me to update ROM from Custom1 ATT 2.11? I have R01.91 firmware and don't know will it be working fine with last 1.12ROM (I'd like to have 70 mb storage heap back)? Can you make the same trick with firmware updater as you did with 2.11 ATT update (it allowed ATT 2.11 updater to be used with unbranded phone)? I cannot use original 1.12 update because I have ATT branded unlocked phone. So please post instruction how to reflesh firmware in my treo from R01.91 to R01.92. Thank you very much for your great job!!!!!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    James/MTB

Ok! This is what I got after updating my phone with the official att upgrade which is cingular branded but unlocked on Tmo.

Firm: RO1.91
    Software: Treo680-2.11-ATT
    CC-Cap: ATT-NR1-005
    Carrier DB: 510
    Hardware: A

After doing the update I decided to run James 2.11 update ROM, but I keep getting this:

Rom image directory found on card, installing from there.
    I type: low and hit enter and this is what is displayed.
    "Low MaxOS Size: 0x02100000
    "Low BinFS Size: 0x02400000
    Checking as file size (/ROM/low-palmos.zip)....
    Error: Can't open file low-pamos.zip!

I also tried different rom packages and get the same error!
    Any ideas?

BTW: I am using a 4gig sd card ... do you think maybe I need to use a smaller size? I do not think this would be a problem because I did the Palm upgrade from the same sd card.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance! Oh! yes the phone works just find, except I can not get "good" to work properly, if I leave it off the phone works fine.

Thanks again!
    I tried doing the update and copied the files over then ran the romupdater.

Typed in low, hit enter and I get errors.

It won't complete (won't even start) and I get the following error:

Verifying the image files...
    Validating /ROM/low-ipl-cvt...ERROR!
    ERROR:Low image files corrupt or missing
    ERROR:Aborting update
    Error(0x0012):Error calculating the MD5 checksum

I downloaded the Cust1 rom 3 separate times and copied them over to the SD card 3 times - still won't work.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I figured it out.

I tried it a 4th time using filez to copy the files over instead of resco explorer....no errors this time.
    Last edited by Stalloneeh; 01/21/2008 at 04:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalloneeh View Post
    I tried it a 4th time using filez to copy the files over instead of resco explorer....no errors this time.
    I find this very strange . . . I used Resco Explorer amd James' instructions for the 2.11 custom ROMs (several different versions, including Tomtastic's and MFB's) and I also used it last night for James' 1.12 Cust1, then Cust2 (I decided I wanted VM in ROM, on the theory that it might be updated from the version for which the VM files were posted early in 2007). Anyway, the bottom line is that I've never experienced any errors at any time I've used Resco Explorer to copy the files.

Everything is working perfectly -- THANKS ONCE AGAIN JAMESGANGUT!!!
    Same feeling here: I had more problems using the official Windows installer then from using this Cust1 version (which went flawless BTW).

DbCache is once more up where it belongs
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Hi James!

I "disassembled" your Cust1 and Cust2 Roms just to have a look at the differences with the ATT previous customizations; I noticed the following files that I suppose can be safely removed to get an even smaller footprint:

- DefConnectionDB_jpJP.pdb (is it a Japanese leftover???)
    - GettingStarted.pdb
    - GraphicsLibrary.prc (should be replaced with a fresh DTG installation?)

- WiredCarKit68KApp.prc (if not needed)
    - WiredCarKit.bprc (if not needed)
    - WiredCarKit_enUS.oprc (if not needed)

Any caveat before proceeding?

Thanks again and Ciao!

Sergio
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    You are right, no wonder I was surprised that it took only 1 minute to update.
    I have to much desire to have it installed and forgot that important line of yours... just like a kid with a new toy... lol

BTW, if you make MaxDB cache meaning creating super barestrip ROM, it will be greatly appreciated...

THANKS JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    It didn't actually fail. The tokens are written as a step outside of firmware or ROM updating. If you run the official updater the tokens will be written. This is the reason I state to run the official updater. Also the official updater will flash the firmware. This is just the safest way to make it all work right.
    Restoring Question:

If I do a complete restore after everything is updated using BackupMan or NVBackup, won't that essentially re-install all the junk files on my fresh Treo?

I really, REALLY don't want to go and do each program one-by-one but I want the benefits of an updated, hard-resetted device. Any clean restore advice is appreciated!
    Applications: no. Since they were in ROM, they were not considered for backup to start with.
    Preferences: yes but unless something goes corrupt, there should be no effect.
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    I'm talking about the programs in RAM that get copied in backup sets. If there are leftover junk files from old programs, they'll be put onto the fresh Treo, right?

I'm not worried about the ROM - that will be nice and clean for sure. I'm trying to avoid the clutter that gets piled up in RAM. I should have been more clear.
    Yes, those files will go over.
    A cleanup action based on CreatorID should allow you to weed them out.
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Is it still necessary to EXCLUDE the carrierprofiles2 and networkprofiles2 from the final step of restoring via BackupMan or NVBackup?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    Is it still necessary to EXCLUDE the carrierprofiles2 and networkprofiles2 from the final step of restoring via BackupMan or NVBackup?

Thanks!
    I don't know for sure whether it's necessary to exclude those files, but I've been excluding them anyway everytime I've done a custom ROM and restore (I figure it sure can't hurt, because those files automatically rebuild themselves in any event).

A bonus I've found in this last full day of using the updated 1.12 custom ROM is that my signal is better everywhere. Where I had no signal at all before, I'm now getting at least 2 to 3 bars, and I'm getting full bars where I only got 2 to 3 before. I'm pretty psyched about that!

I haven't had any of the problems people reported with speed dials not restoring, or reset loops, or Blazer not working, or any of that stuff. My 680 seems rock solid and everything I restored is working great.