Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1377
    Try *#900# to force the connection with 900 MHZ carrier. If this works, you might try autoexecute programs after a reboot. Or add it as a dial shortcut and just dial one time after each reset.

The *#900# might not work in Brazil - if so, check with your carrier if there is a code you can send to force the connection. Or experiment!
    Successfully updated from 1.09 to 2.11 (although it still reports as 1.09 as it should).

Used MFB's 2.11 MaxdBCache ROM at the top of post #3 for unlocked GSM Treo.

One comment - if you use this download, you will need to follow jamesgangut's instructions in Post #1 titled "Version 2.11" and not MFB's Post #3's instructions (which was for the older 1.09 update only). This was not made clear in post #3 nor the 50+ webpages thereafter but it became pretty obvious after reading 50 pages of user experiences!

Also need to read jamesgangut's instructions CAREFULLY as it's spells out the steps precisely. The steps may not be clear until you are actually doing the update so have the steps handy while you are doing it.

Other than that, pretty easy and fast!

Perceived improvements:

My old unlocked Treo (MFB's 1.09 fully stripped) used to hang on calls after the Bluetooth headset separated too far from the Treo and closed up again. But this is now solved.

Also the BT Palm wireless keyboard used to require that the Bluetooth be switched off before attempting to pair with the Treo or the phone would crash. Doesn't anymore.

I'd say the BT implementation of 2.11 is better than 10.4 and 1.09 and for me this is the main advantage of the upgrade. BT stability.

Cheers to MFB and jamesgangut for their hard work and contribution.

Unlocked GSM v1.12 is now out.

A stripped out version of that might be interesting

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=159400

And just for the record:
    FW: R01.92
    SW: Treo680-1.12-ROW
    CC-Cap: 000-000-000
    Carrier DB: 549
    Hardware: A
    Last edited by ChasT; 01/16/2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added Phone Info
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Just update from 1.09 to 1.12
    Mexico Telcel & no problem so far
    All went smooth Restore too!
    If I use the Palm update will I find I have all the crap that the stripped down ROM got rid of? Should I wait till someone here strips this one down too?
    Ok, I'll take the ***** award for this question but...

If I've already applied the 1.12 *official* update from palm, can I use the custom ROM here?

Sorry but it's just not clear for me

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    If I use the Palm update will I find I have all the crap that the stripped down ROM got rid of? Should I wait till someone here strips this one down too?
    You will have everything you got rid of :-/
    Last edited by aproposnix; 01/17/2008 at 10:16 AM.
    Will someone be stripping the latest 'Update 1.12 for Unlocked GSM Treo 680' and making custom ROMs? I do understand that it is not a small job...
    I would really like to use the equivalent of the Cust 8 ROM (Cust 1 plus DTG & Ptunes).
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Yes, the crap will be back.

You may wait for the stripped version, or apply this one, crap or not, and then later apply the stripped version when it comes. It's up to you, really.
    SANDRO CAMPOS MANCINI
    Treo 680 Crimson GSM unlocked
    Transcend 8Gb Class 6 SDHC card
    iBlue SIRF-III Bluetooth GPS
    Quote Originally Posted by aproposnix View Post
    Ok, I'll take the ***** award for this question but...

If I've already applied the 2.12 *official* update from palm, can I use the custom ROM here?

Sorry but it's just not clear for me
    Yes, you CAN!
    SANDRO CAMPOS MANCINI
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Tomtastic & Deceptitech!

Look, I really don't wanna to 'disassemble' the phone or the SO, but if there is some file to put in RAM and can configure the phone to ignore a 850 Mhz, I really like.
    Here in Brazil we have it all:
    - CDMA (850 or 800 I believe)
    - GSM 1800
    - GSM 850
    And now there is 3G coming with 2100 I believe.

Brazil really is a perfect test-bed for manufacturers. If your phone works properly here, it will work everywhere. :-p

Unfortunately, Palm Treos do NOT pass the test (given Palm's quality control software and hardware-wise, this is no big surprise, right? ).

Palm Treos behave sometimes erratically because they:
    - insist on trying the wrong frequency
    - don't lock to any frequency at all (rare)
    - try to lock to the wrong carrier in another frequency

Most times, manually instructing the Treo in the PHONE application to look for the right frequency solves the problem (locking to the correct carrier).

Still, this is a serious problem, since as we all know, Treos reset. For some, that's a daily event. For a few, an event that happens many times in a day. For most of us, something that happens from time to time.

No matter you many resets, if when a reset happens your Treo locks to the wrong frequency or finds no frequency at all, and it happens to be in your pocket or purse/bag, you may stay unreachable for minutes, hours and even most of a day!

What makes this MUCH worse however is that this can happen even after a signal loss, which is of course a pretty common event. Can you imagine having to check your Treo many times a day because you fear the phone radio may not be working properly?

Fortunately, it seems that using the "frequency code tip" virtually solves this problem, so my suggestion is to create a favorite in the PHONE application with the right frequency code for you, and use it every time you suspect carrier locking may be flaky. In theory, using this code ONCE solves the problem, unless you HARD RESET the phone (then use it again).

Anyway, if your phone is out of coverage and you suspect it may be due to this bug, use the favorite.

This problem happen with every Treos since 600, selled or no in Brazil, but we no has this problem before because no one operator was using a 850Mhz GSM until this last year (before, was using in a CDMA network).
    Yep!

We have a company (Vivo) that handles CDMA (the only one), GSM 850, analog (in some remote areas) and now will offer 3G GSM in yet another frequency. It's insane.

Some of the GSM carriers use two frequencies, and will use a third for 3G GSM.

It's truly insane.

But is worst: when the Treo 680 no find signal, turn off and turn on automatically, losting the networking configuration and have a signal problems.
    Oh yes, this is YET another serious Palm Treo bug... it sometimes (more or less common from user to user and I believe depending from the wireless carrier you use) does not properly pull the network settings after a reset or phone off and on procedure, so you end up having no GPRS/EDGE connectivity at all.

Some times this "network amnesia bug" is so serious, you have to manually delete 3 files and soft reset the phone in order to have it pull again the network configurations and recreate the network DB file. A few times just deleting the NetworkDB.PRC file and rebooting the phone works. A VERY few times, no method works, and you must HARD RESET your device, let it create the network files properly, and restore your backup without restoring the carrier and network files.

It's INSANE, I tell you, INSANE!

No wonder Palm is sinking slowly but firmly... Were it not for the Windows Mobile Treos it will release this year, I would not bet Palm being able to stay afloat in 2008 and have time and money needed for PalmOS II to arrive in early 2009.

Still, there is a "workaround": create MANUALLY two network configurations, one for GPRS/EDGE connections, one for MMS. Google those configurations, they are available for each and every Brazilian carrier 'out there'.

When your Treo loses it all, it will STILL retain the ones you created, and you will be able to use your phone normally! Those default configurations will come and go, but it will not affect normal operation of your phone.

Well, there is two extras colateral effects: everytime, the Treo 'freeze' everytime for some seconds trying to find signal; and if the Simcard have a password (PIN), the Treo Phone stay 'locked' until the user type the code.

Here in Brazil, everybody disable a Simlock in Treos 680.
    This is a worldwide phenomenon, be assured...

We just can't expect our Treos not to reset while we're not using them and then stay (yet again!) unreacheable without our knowing it.

Only a last comment: is fantastic that the Palm Brazil no has passed this situation to Palm Inc. The Treo 680 has a low market in Brazil only because this!
    Palm Brasil is a joke. It's 3 people I believe. If it's still the same regional manager as the last time I checked, he's a stupid ***. It's only marketing (here and there), logistics and nothing more, really.

Support and repair is also a joke. There's only ONE repair center countrywide, and normally sending a Treo for repair costs a small fortune, because you pay SEDEX (FEDEX/DHL-like service from our national post office company) both way, and pay a high minimum fee (which in theory is a practice forbidden by Brazilian law, but that's another - long - story) even if all you want is to fix a loose button.

No wonder I'm considering an HTC tytn II nowadays... Oh well, there I am ranting already...
    SANDRO CAMPOS MANCINI
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    MFB will you create the newest MaxDB of this 1.12ROW
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapleki View Post
    MFB will you create the newest MaxDB of this 1.12ROW
    Yes, we are all looking forward to a stripped 1.12 ROW rom. Thank you in advance James and MFB.

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rayliu23 View Post
    Yes, we are all looking forward to a stripped 1.12 ROW rom. Thank you in advance James and MFB.

Please!

Thank you very much
    Quote Originally Posted by enotar View Post
    Please!

Thank you very much
    Pleaseeeeee make it early
    Hi,

I'm just playing with the new official Palm 2.11 ROW updater and I've got some questions to the Customization Experts :-))

I extracted all the files from the PALM original updater, deleted the non "_enUS" translations, got rid of tutorials, addit, tips and wiredcarkit; also deleted DTG and pTunes; now I should have a "stripped version + VersaMail" ready to be tested...

I've got only 4 files that I'm not sure I can delete:

MM_EAS_FPI_enUS.oprc
    MM_EAS_FPI.bprc
    Original.pdb
    palmSkin.pdb

Perhaps the first two ones are related to VersaMail (can't find them in the previous ATT 2.11 version)?

One last question... the "boot.conf" file is to be updated with the new shorter list of files or not? When I made my custom rom (a stripped ATT + VM) I used the one from the stripped version and didn't touch it...

Thanks and Ciao!

Sergio

PS: if the experiment works well I can send the customized version to anyone who likes and dares to try it ;-)
  16.    #1036  
    I now have my son's phone for the day. I will be creating a stripped rom and a couple versions and posting them later today.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

17.    #1037  
    Quote Originally Posted by SergioA View Post
    Hi,

I'm just playing with the new official Palm 2.11 ROW updater and I've got some questions to the Customization Experts :-))

I extracted all the files from the PALM original updater, deleted the non "_enUS" translations, got rid of tutorials, addit, tips and wiredcarkit; also deleted DTG and pTunes; now I should have a "stripped version + VersaMail" ready to be tested...

I've got only 4 files that I'm not sure I can delete:

MM_EAS_FPI_enUS.oprc VersaMail file
    MM_EAS_FPI.bprc VersaMail File
    Original.pdb Ptunes File
    palmSkin.pdb Ptunes file

Perhaps the first two ones are related to VersaMail (can't find them in the previous ATT 2.11 version)?

One last question... the "boot.conf" file is to be updated with the new shorter list of files or not? When I made my custom rom (a stripped ATT + VM) I used the one from the stripped version and didn't touch it...

I just use the RomTool and don't touch it either.

Thanks and Ciao!

Sergio

PS: if the experiment works well I can send the customized version to anyone who likes and dares to try it ;-)

Answers in red
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    I now have my son's phone for the day. I will be creating a stripped rom and a couple versions and posting them later today.
    Thanks a lot bro

This latest update has left me paranoid
    My T680 is acting up
    thank you.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    This is Great......................

Thank you very much

enotar