Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
    If we all threw in $10, you could get a new unbranded one. I'd certainly be willing....a fine self-centered investment in having you continue to tweak this stuff. Anyone else?
    I'm in let me know how -- got a paypal account, James? Love the custom rom's, they've saved me a lot of frustration and made my investment in the non AT&T 680 worth it.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Just realized one of my pet-peeves with the 680 has been fixed with the 2.11 update -- resetting of the chosen gprs data network is fixed! I always had to reset the default network after a reset, but this is now fixed. It remembers the one I have chosen.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I'm in let me know how -- got a paypal account, James? Love the custom rom's, they've saved me a lot of frustration and made my investment in the non AT&T 680 worth it.
    NO doubt. I'm in for $20, for sure.

Just ran the latest FW/ROM update, using MFB's MAXDBCACHE version. NVBackup restored all my files, and all seems well after about 10 minutes of playing. Seems more stable...I had a couple programs that were causing resets, and now they're not. When restoring from NVBackup, I did a Selective Restore and left out carrierprofiles2 and networkprofiles2. Also noticed a lot of _tmp* files and similar crap (it's been several months since I did any major maintenance such as reinstalling all my apps) and left those out.

The biggest difference I notice in the first few minutes is that it grabs the network much more quickly...when I cycle the phone radio it reconnects within 10 seconds. Before it was closer to 20 seconds. And browsing with Blazer is definitely snappier. Not twice as fast, but noticeably quicker when browsing my usual sites.

I also did my first HotSync, and it was flawless. I mostly attribute that to NVBackup, the best freeware program ever. I honestly don't know why anyone pays for backup software. I've been thrilled with NVBackup for over a year.

Now, if someone could post the IM and PTT and other program prc's so I could install them to RAM individually (like I did the Calc) and check them out (and probably quickly delete them, by the sound of things in other threads), I'd be much obliged. I did not install the full ROM update that was first posted, but I'm curious about these new apps.

Thanks guys!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsaboutTreo View Post
    Quick questions:
    3. Will we get a full custome lineup of the ROMS as previously? I need to get more off the device, but not as drastic as Tomtastics version...
    Hi nutsaboutTreo,

if you want, I made a 2.11 custom rom, starting from the stripped Unbranded version By Tomtastic, and adding VersaMail; let me know if you want to try it (at your own risk): I have been using it for two weeks and found no problem ;-)

Ciao from Italy

Sergio
    my apologies first off. i did try to go through this thread for my answer but it is just too long and i at loss on how to make my search specific to the problem. (it's pretty generic. and i have been at this for hours so my eyes have had it!)

anyhow, i have an unlocked 680 and i went to update the firmware and the rom. i followed the instructions and updated the firmware fine. but when i update the rom, it seems like everything goes fine but the version is not changing.

the rom version i am using is 2.11 that was linked in the very first post.

this is what i see when i pull up my phone info:

firmware: r01.91
    software:treo680-1.03-cng
    carrier db: 510
    hardware: a

i'm confused at which i should be using, why does it say 2.11 in the beginning of the thread but it seems mostly all about 1.09?

i appreciate any help! even if it is an RTFM comment, as long as it includes a link!
    Quote Originally Posted by SergioA View Post
    Hi nutsaboutTreo,

if you want, I made a 2.11 custom rom, starting from the stripped Unbranded version By Tomtastic, and adding VersaMail; let me know if you want to try it (at your own risk): I have been using it for two weeks and found no problem ;-)

Ciao from Italy

Sergio
    Sergio,

Is the ROM English? I only ask because ur profile says ur from Italy. I need English.

So the version you created is stripped of the following rite?

Tutorials / Spanish language localizations / AddIt / DocsToGo / PTunes / PushToTalk / Tutorials / Tips / InstantMessenger / Telenav / MobiTV.

Let me know. I would be interested, but at the sametime a little apprehensive since its not coming from Tomtastic or James (no offense, its just that I have yet to see any of their custom ROMS bricking ppls phones....)
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsaboutTreo View Post
    Sergio,

Is the ROM English? I only ask because ur profile says ur from Italy. I need English.

So the version you created is stripped of the following rite?

Tutorials / Spanish language localizations / AddIt / DocsToGo / PTunes / PushToTalk / Tutorials / Tips / InstantMessenger / Telenav / MobiTV.

Let me know. I would be interested, but at the sametime a little apprehensive since its not coming from Tomtastic or James (no offense, its just that I have yet to see any of their custom ROMS bricking ppls phones....)
    Yes Sir ;-)

It's English, stripped of the above mentioned programs plus the wired car kit.

If you look at post 953, you can see you wouldn't be the first one to use it (ok, the second one, excluding myself...):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=953

Let me know!

Ciao

Sergio
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    And I want say that it works perfectly! Not a single issue after almost a week of flying! Thanks Sergio again!
    from 1.04 ROW (fw: 1.50)
    CC cap 000-000-000
    carrier db 310
    hardware A
    to:
    1.04 ROW (fw r01.91)
    CC cap 000-000-000
    carrier db 510
    hardware A

using 1.04 maxdbcache (thank you guys -tomtastic, jamesgangut, etc)
    all works no error, internet ok, mms ok, faster reset time
    location indonesia
    Fossil WristPDA ->death
    Tapwave Zodiac 2
    Treo 680 ->white Centro
    <still> perfect gadgets for my life
    Quote Originally Posted by alne View Post
    I've updated my Treo 680 (ATT branded unlocked) using stripped version of the 2.11 ROM with Versamail (Thanks to Sergio!). Everything works superb now. Phone app works faster, as well as combination of background applications (I am using pTunes+JICQ(version of ICQ IM client) and Opera mini. I just have small problem - after update my DbCache was segmented into 2 big pieces - 16383 kb / out of 32943 kb total. After Hard Reset memory in DbCache is still fragmented by the same way. What can I do to have it back to one big piece? I know there is small program Memory Unfragment, written by Dmitry Grinberg, which helps in this case. But it was written not specifically for Treo, but for other Palm handhelds. Is it safe to use it? I know that this fragmentation can be caused by Blazer (it uses memory, but after it's cache is being cleared, corresponding memory regions still assigned as being in use by blazer). Is there any suggestions to resolve this issue? Thank you all in advance!

Did you ever fix the DB Cache issue? and what program are you using to look at your DB Chache? Have you tried using Reset Doctor??

Is your MMS functionality still working?

Sergio, Can you please send me your Custom ROM?
    THANKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsaboutTreo
    Sergio, Can you please send me your Custom ROM?
    THANKS!
    Sure, send me a Private Message with your email and I will do!

Ciao

Sergio
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I have already did 3 rom update with success & i finaly decide to go with the MaxDBcache one!
    Everything is working fine,I install new version of programs in RAM like Ptunes,DTG,VM.......
    But still 2 points bother me & I dont think these have been answer completely:
    1- Ram is smaller ( about 3 megs) as advise before;can this be fixed or it wont;why the Palm update 2.11 makes us loose these precious 3 megs?
    2-why having 35 megs of dbcache 17 only are free (I am using meminfo to check)I understand Blazer is using a part of this but 18 megs is a lot?

Tkz a lot for your hard work!

enotar
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    nutsaboutTreo
    I am using resco explorer to look at my DbCache state. My MMS features have been working fine from the beginning - I'm on ATT network... Reset doctor only allows you to view DbCahe statistics and flush it - no option to reformat or de-fragment. Anyway, I don't think this 16 mb chunk in DbCache is a bug - it is probably normal for this ROM version.
    enotar
    1. ROM updater rearranges memory during the 2.11 update process. It was necessary for PALM, because they put a lot of new stuff in 2.11 update, so they need extra room for it. No fix for this at present moment. I believe that it will be fixed then we will get update for unlocked Treos 680 from PALM in January, So lets wait...
    2. That's not right. You still have 35 megs free in DbCache, but it is spitted in two chunks. So the maximum ammount of data that you can store there in ONE FILE is around 17 megs. But you can use the rest of the space for storage of the smaller files.
    Last edited by alne; 12/29/2007 at 01:29 PM.
    Nuts.
    http://www.inkhorn.net/site/log/Entr...Treo_%3A(.html

The cause of death is either a cruel coincidence or the deviceupdater.prc is a truly dangerous tool and I'd strongly warn anyone thinking of examining it not to do so. I had been looking into the ROM and device updaters and had much success with the former in discovering the hidden commands available to update the ROM tokens by hand (lt,dt,wt), I was just beginning to probe the device updater when the device locked up and I was forced to remove the battery to reset, but that was to be my Treo's last breath as it never came back

I'm not averse to begging so if you have a spare buck, I'm saving for a new one :
    http://www.chipin.com/mywidgets/id/4b04e4c35ba2ec2f

unhappily,
    -- tomtastic
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I left my contribution, but why not to buy it on ebay?
    You can easily get new unlocked unit (with warranty) fo around 300$ (with postage included). Look here:
    http://cell-phones.search.ebay.com/t...QQsacatZ146487
    Some sellers can send stuff from US worldwide.
    I got mine Treo 680 a year ago for 220$. Came like new - no scratches, with absolutely new OEM battery and factory protection film attached to screen
    Package included all stuff (new software disc (sealed), stylus, charger, hotsync cable and Palm branded screen protector, mono headset, printed manual, inner plastic box), except outer paper box. Treo was locked to ATT and was sold without warranty (but with option to bye replacement plan). After it I bought unlock code on e-bay (you have to send coded IMEI of your unit to seller to get you unlock code) for around 15$ and successfully unlock the phone from ATT (perfectly legal here at US). I've tried phone with T-mobile and out of country SIM card - worked perfectly fine. So, I recommend you to try e-bay to get new phone faster!
    And, by the way, you can disassemble your old phone and sell parts on e-bay: screen assembly (with digitazer and anthenna) for around 85$ (if it is in good shape), case and keys for 30$, keyboard for 45$. Your motherboard should be trashed, but old battery and stylus can be used as spare one's.
    Sorry for your loose, but hope you'll get you new friend very fast,
    and Happy new Year!
  16.    #976  
    Hey Tom I am thinking I am just going to part out my broken treo. I have my Mobo avaliable if you want to just buy that.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I have applied the latest version on an unlocked 680 and discovered yesterday 'B' is tied as a speedkey to a function to switch lines. This is also indicated on top-centre of the phone application (alternating '1' and '2' after each usage of 'B' as speedkey).

Questions:
    - is this only working for AT&T or also for other providers (currently have a temporary pay-as-you-go subscription with limited functionality pending final subscription with new employer so I can not really try)
    - what is this supposed to be doing ?
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Hey Tom I am thinking I am just going to part out my broken treo. I have my Mobo avaliable if you want to just buy that.
    Why not buy a replacement screen or digitizer, I hear they aren't too expensive over in the US?

Or are you planning on buying a different device ?

How much do you want for the motherboard ?
    Quote Originally Posted by alne View Post
    I left my contribution, but why not to buy it on ebay?
    You can easily get new unlocked unit (with warranty) fo around 300$ (with postage included).
    Many thanks!
    I hadn't thought to search eBay for items available from the US, they're definitely cheaper and more prevalent than here in the UK, sadly there doesn't seem to be such a market for Treo spares over here. I'll keep an eye on it, thanks
    @tomtatstic

Can't you get Palm to reflash you Treo. Of course it will cost you something, but it will probably be cheaper than a whole new Treo!?

Shuby