Page 40 of 69 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243444550 ... LastLast
    Now AT&T have update for firmware of Treo 680 AT&T and Cingular.
    Can everybody cook rom become use for Treo 680 Unlock/ Sim Free/ International ?
    Dang! My unbranded, unlocked 680 is damn-near perfect right now. NEVER resets, runs fast, everything works all the time - most stable Palm I've ever had. It took me 9 months to get this way, of course, but I'm there now thanks to the Custom ROMS. Problem is, I want some of these features! I have faith, jamesgangut! Work your magic! I will mess with a good thing against all logic

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    I have the whole ROM & firmware ready to go. After I work up some instructions and get it uploaded I will post a link. Once that is done I will work on stripping.
  3.    #783  
    Use at your own risk!!!

1- Backup your data. Use Backupman or similar.
    2- Get an SD card prepared. Empty is best.
    3- Plugin the power to your unit. Not a car charger, or combo sync power cable, usb cable etc. MUST BE THE AC CHARGER.
    4- Using an SD card adapter copy the three folders to your SD card. Firmware, PALM and ROM
    5- Get a 3rd party software app like Resco Explorer or FileZ. Copy it to the palm/launcher folder of the SD card.
    6- Turn off radio, Insert SD card.
    7- Use the specific instructions for which proceedure you are performing. Remember to get the full update both must be run.

Firmware (only needs to be done once, not everytime you try a new ROM)
    A- Run 3rd party app to copy the contents of the Firmware folder to RAM. (See app instructions for help). Exit app.
    B- Making sure the power is plugged in locate the GSM FW App. Run it, it should give you update: R01.91. If so tap "Update Now".
    C- It will reset when done.

ROM
    A- Run 3rd party app to copy the contents of the ROM folder to RAM. (See
    app instructions for help). Exit app.
    B- Making sure the power is plugged in locate the Romupdater app. (SD Card catagory) Run it.
    C- type low then hit enter/return. It will update the ROM. When it is done it will tell you it is done and to hard reset.
    D- Hard reset, restore data.

This is the full unaltered firmware and ROM.
    http://www.4shared.com/file/31862725...ified=e992fa47
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 12/12/2007 at 11:19 AM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Talking about speedy service !!

Q: What is the exact difference between 'Firmware' and 'ROM' ?
    Why would someone have to select the one or the other ?
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Hi James!

Great :-)

Can you tell us what applications (and version) are included in your ROM?

Many thanks!!!

Sergio
    Is there a way to extract all the .prc's from the new ROM without actually updating the ROM?

Like running the ROM update in the simulator and stop the upgrade process or another way? I remember doing something like this several years ago.

Can this be done with this ROM update?
    Last edited by clievideo; 12/12/2007 at 06:12 AM.
    Hi, Thanks James, before I proceed, I have one of your custom roms, it will be safe to install this I'm in Mexico and with Telcel carrier.

Firmware: R01.34
    Software: Treo680-1.09-ROW
    CC-Cap:000-000-001
    Carrier DB: 292
    Last edited by dread_phantom; 12/12/2007 at 08:48 AM.
    James:

I guess my question is the same as the above. I already have one of your first custom ROMs (the barest stripped down version), in my Palm GSM phone. Despite being called 'ATT' I assume that is simply originally intended for ATT but this should work just as the original custom ROMs worked? Once again, sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't kept up with this (because your custom ROM was so satisfactory).
    Some good news, MMS works!

James, I am guessing you mean that the MMS works after you updated to the new ATT update.... Please confirm.

Use at your own risk!!!

3- Plugin the power to your unit. Not a car charger, or combo sync power cable, usb cable etc. MUST BE THE AC CHARGER.
    4- Using an SD card adapter copy the three folders to your SD card. Firmware, PALM and ROM
    5- Get a 3rd party software app like Resco Explorer or FileZ. Copy it to the palm/launcher folder of the SD card.
    7- Use the specific instructions for which proceedure you are performing. Remember to get the full update both must be run.

Firmware (only needs to be done once, not everytime you try a new ROM)
    A- Run 3rd party app to copy the contents of the Firmware folder to RAM. (See app instructions for help). Exit app.
    B- Making sure the power is plugged in locate the GSM FW App. Run it, it should give you update: R01.91. If so tap "Update Now".
    C- It will reset when done.

ROM
    A- Run 3rd party app to copy the contents of the ROM folder to RAM. (See
    app instructions for help). Exit app.
    B- Making sure the power is plugged in locate the Romupdater app. (SD Card catagory) Run it.
    C- type low then hit enter/return. It will update the ROM. When it is done it will tell you it is done and to hard reset.
    D- Hard reset, restore data.

http://www.4shared.com/file/31862725...ified=e992fa47

Okay, what the hell is the difference between the ROM and Firmware update??

I really don't care about the firmware update, since I think it will destroy my abilities to MMS again.

I am guessing that the ROM update has all the new features from the new update? Such as IM etc?

I am crossing my fingers, that you will deliver again with great Custom ROMS.....

For example the following would be GREAT:

Cust 1- stripped of, all languages except ENGLISH, Quick Tour, wired car kit, and PTunes. Adds the following from the new ATT update:

# Conserve battery life with improved default power preferences.
    # Customers can access AOL, MSN, or Yahoo! IM service.
    # Enhanced ringtone support (formats: MP3, AAC, AAC , MIDI, WAV, and AMR)
    # Easy access to extra services such as TeleNav GPS Navigator and MobiTV
    # Three updates in one – This update incorporates three previously released software updates: Treo 680 Camera Update (January 2007), Daylight Saving Time Update (February 2007), and Treo 680 Software Update 1.09 (May 2007).

That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!

Anyone running the update???
    I am happy with my custom ROM (1.09 stripped down).

If I just update the FW from R01.34 to R01.91 does anyone know what I get?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  11.    #791  
    The ROM I posted is the FULL thing, nothing trimmed. Just in a format that you don't have to worry about version checking.

In the Palm updater there are 2 separate pieces that are updated. Firmware this is the radio. This is the piece that takes the most time when flashing. This doesn't change when customizing the ROM. So you don't need to do it every time you change a ROM only when you want to change the Firmware.

ROM is the part we customize. When reflashing a new ROM the way I laid out here takes about a minute. When customizing I always get it in this state first then start stripping. What I posted is the full rom as I flashed it to my Treo. If you want to take a look at the Update in full here it is.

You should keep the ROM and Firmware versions matching. 2.11/1.91 etc, in the previous version there were problems when you didn't.

I did flash this and tested it very briefly, finding out that MMS with Tmo is working again. My 680 is not my main phone anymore so I am hoping as others test out the 2.11 version any issues will surface.

I think I am going to make two versions to start and work out any bugs. A stripped one similar to Cust1 and then one that is basically unbranded but has all the useful apps. After that we will see.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I am thinking that due to all the incompatibility issues from last time I am just going to make a firmware only and ROM only updates. New instructions will follow. This will mean no tokens are updated so those with ROW will be able to update to a new update IF it ever comes. ATT folks will already be able to get theirs set running the official updater first. I have the whole ROM & firmware ready to go. After I work up some instructions and get it uploaded I will post a link. Once that is done I will work on stripping.
    James,

Sorry I am trying to make sense of it all, and still a little confused.

So the FIRMWARE update you posted will still leave us with 104ROW? or will it update to the new ATT firmware??

The ROM I posted is the FULL thing, nothing trimmed. Just in a format that you don't have to worry about version checking.

In the Palm updater there are 2 separate pieces that are updated. Firmware this is the radio. This is the piece that takes the most time when flashing. This doesn't change when customizing the ROM. So you don't need to do it every time you change a ROM only when you want to change the Firmware.

ROM is the part we customize. When reflashing a new ROM the way I laid out here takes about a minute. When customizing I always get it in this state first then start stripping. What I posted is the full rom as I flashed it to my Treo. If you want to take a look at the Update in full here it is.

You should keep the ROM and Firmware versions matching. 2.11/1.91 etc, in the previous version there were problems when you didn't.

I did flash this and tested it very briefly, finding out that MMS with Tmo is working again. My 680 is not my main phone anymore so I am hoping as others test out the 2.11 version any issues will surface.

I think I am going to make two versions to start and work out any bugs. A stripped one similar to Cust1 and then one that is basically unbranded but has all the useful apps. After that we will see.

2. So for those that want to take advantage of the programs only, then we should just do the ROM update correct? and leave alone the firmware update??

3. I am guessing we should wait for the custom rom updates so that unnecessary programs for non-att users (Such as push to talk) is not on the ROM.

4. what do you mean we should keep the firmware and rom versions matching? So we should all do the firmware update prior to using the new ATT Rom correct?

Hope someone can tell me whether my assumptions are correct.
    Use at your own risk!!!

James, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for doing all of this!!!!

A question for you: Your step-by-step instructions quoted above do not include doing a hard reset, although that seemed to be an important step in the previous custom ROM instructions. Should a hard reset be performed after Step 1, or is it unnecessary?
    Christie,

If you are planning or have already completed the ROM/Firmware update, can you please let me know if your MMS function is working??

Also I think the hard-reset prior to you updating your phone is a necessary step....
  15.    #795  
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsaboutTreo View Post
    James,

Sorry I am trying to make sense of it all, and still a little confused.

So the FIRMWARE update you posted will still leave us with 104ROW? or will it update to the new ATT firmware??

It will leave the diplayed token at 1.04-ROW, thats all you will be running a newr version it just won't say so. That way IF a new version comes out you CAN run Palm's updater.

2. So for those that want to take advantage of the programs only, then we should just do the ROM update correct? and leave alone the firmware update??

No, If after you apply this you want to try out or reflash with a different version you don't have to reflash firmware just the ROM. For those who try 3-4 different ones beofre deciding or if we find an issue and I repost.

3. I am guessing we should wait for the custom rom updates so that unnecessary programs for non-att users (Such as push to talk) is not on the ROM.

That is upto you, if you want to take a look now knowing things will be removed later you can.

4. what do you mean we should keep the firmware and rom versions matching? So we should all do the firmware update prior to using the new ATT Rom correct?

Meaning that if you are going to use this ROM make sure you are using this firmware. If you want to try mixing and matching you may run into issues, for example if you arerunning the 1.04 ROM with the R01.34 Firmware your phone will not hangup you have to wait for the call to time out. If you run 2.11 make sure your firmware is R01.91. That will be updated in the phone info screen.

Hope someone can tell me whether my assumptions are correct.
    Answers above

16.    #796  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    James, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for doing all of this!!!!

A question for you: Your step-by-step instructions quoted above do not include doing a hard reset, although that seemed to be an important step in the previous custom ROM instructions. Should a hard reset be performed after Step 1, or is it unnecessary?
    If you have enough RAM it is not needed but may be a good idea. With the other method the update would sometimes not run automatically unless the unit was fresh.

James,

On behalf of the treocentral community, i would like to say you are the ****!!!!!

I wish people like you were working for PALM instead, so that PALM would actually start being the innovators again, instead of the fu*kin slackers they have become....

I wish I lived in Utah, cuz I would definitely buy you a couple of beers.......
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsaboutTreo View Post
    Christie,

If you are planning or have already completed the ROM/Firmware update, can you please let me know if your MMS function is working??

Also I think the hard-reset prior to you updating your phone is a necessary step....
    I haven't run it and am most likely going to wait for the stripped versions before I do. I was just reading over the instructions and I thought it might be important to clarify that point for anybody who will be doing it (including me, when the stripped versions are available).
    Yep, I'm waiting on the Cust1 ROM myself.. No junk.
    Okay,

I briefly tried out the Firmware and ROM update and flashing was a success. James' instructions came through and was a breeze.

Couple of things to report for those that are looking forward to some of the updated features:

1. Push to talk (pretty useless for non-ATT users, which I think most ppl figured).

2. Instant Messenger- this program seems to be written by ATT or Palm specifically to run on the ATT network. So I could not sign on to any of the services AOL, Yahoo, or MSN. Which was a pretty big bummer for me, probably the only update I was looking forward to.

3. Telenav, I think is quite useless since you need an external GPS device.

4. Mobi TV did not see if it works, since I have their services already.

6. ATT splash screen when the phone radio is turned off and on.

and it also came with a bunch of ATT junk like get good, email etc which is completely useless.

So in the end I think the only updates we can look forward to is:

1. "better battery performance" as is claimed by the update.
    2. and having the security, camera, etc updates into ROM.

Didnt test the MMS function, going back to the 104 ROW full version.
    Until something better comes along, or James does a cust 1 without all the programs but with the firmware i guess.....
    Last edited by nutsaboutTreo; 12/12/2007 at 01:09 PM.