Page 25 of 69 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Just upgraded from 650 to 680 and immediately applied MFB's custom ROM. The upgrade process went as smoothly as it possibly could have on my phone that is locked to the Rogers network (remember to change the package installer as per this post). No need to change any settings etc for the GPRS to work (although I was using my SIM from the 650, which was also originally in a 600 so I don't know whether the settings have been transferred through the various models via the SIM) either way, I am thrilled to be free of the rubbish apps such as Real Player and Versamail etc. I will reinstall DTG and have already "beamed" other useful apps from my 650 to the 680 using IR... sure there would have been a better way but this sufficed for me... I had more control over what I sent and what I didn't. I did try to use NVBackup but that didn't seem to work...

QUESTION: The battery life is still crap, I have GPRS/EDGE on constantly for Chattermail but nothing else, no BT, no IR (except briefly as noted above), can anyone confirm whether this ROM has the camera (battery drain) patch/fix?

Thanks to MFB and jamesgangut for all of their work in making the lives of all of us, litter free.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeusrw View Post
    QUESTION: The battery life is still crap, I have GPRS/EDGE on constantly for Chattermail but nothing else, no BT, no IR (except briefly as noted above), can anyone confirm whether this ROM has the camera (battery drain) patch/fix?

Thanks to MFB and jamesgangut for all of their work in making the lives of all of us, litter free.
    Of course it does.. And your battery life is 'bad' because of data usage. Around 5%/hr with Chatter online.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ... [B]attery life is 'bad' because of data usage. ...
    Well, now, that's like saying the reason a Honda 250 motorcycle with a 2.9 gal tank can't go past Albany is because its 250 pound driver didn't go on a diet instead of making the 5.8 gal tank a stock item.

If Palm had given us a decent battery, we wouldn't have to go on a data diet. But maybe the Seidio 1600 battery will fix this.

Incidentally, a lot of people aren't getting anywhere close to 5% ... we get somewhere like 7-8 %. That's simply the function of a battery that can't keep up. The 650 always lasted all day with immense data usage. That is, with the larger battery. It's the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Well, now, that's like saying the reason a Honda 250 motorcycle with a 2.9 gal tank can't go past Albany is because its 250 pound driver didn't go on a diet instead of making the 5.8 gal tank a stock item.

If Palm had given us a decent battery, we wouldn't have to go on a data diet. But maybe the Seidio 1600 battery will fix this.

Incidentally, a lot of people aren't getting anywhere close to 5% ... we get somewhere like 7-8 %. That's simply the function of a battery that can't keep up. The 650 always lasted all day with immense data usage. That is, with the larger battery. It's the battery.
    Put away the fud dispenser.

The Treo 680 was intended to be a smaller, lighter, thinner consumer level Treo. So what was the cheapest thing to do for all three? The battery.

You want a bigger battery? There's 3-4 options out there.

The 'battery can't keep up' comment is pure silliness. If it's not around 5%, either you get a lot of mail (I only get 3-4/hr) or something else is going on, period. The battery has nothing to do with the required power.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ... If it's not around 5%, ... you get a lot of mail (I only get 3-4/hr) ... The battery has nothing to do with the required power.

Hmmm...okay, the problem with my 680 is I have too many friends.
    i am really interested in using one of the custom ROM's here.... only I'm not sure which one, if I even need to do it... how to find out what I do have. I know that I have an unlocked 680 that I bought from Palm in February of this year. I would love to get rid of versamail and the addit stuff. I use ptunes, but wouldn't mind installing it on ram...... any help would be appreciated. I won't be doing this till the weekend. Thanks!
    Versamail and Addit can go as per your comments.
    PTunes has a newer version, so does DtG. Both need to be in Main Memory anyhow so they can go as well.

So that would make number ... ?
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    heck if I could figure it out!!! lol!!!! I have the latest version of both ptunes and DTG.... I don't want to lose the calc.. or calendar.. or contacts..... I use the photo & video program that came with it.... and the task and the memos.. but if I can free up space I might put agendus on it..... decisions.. decisions... decisions!oh yeah.. and i wanna keep blazer.. i don't use the web that much.. and for what i do.. blazer works just great.......
    Quote Originally Posted by sassiebrat View Post
    heck if I could figure it out!!! lol!!!! I have the latest version of both ptunes and DTG.... I don't want to lose the calc.. or calendar.. or contacts..... I use the photo & video program that came with it.... and the task and the memos.. but if I can free up space I might put agendus on it..... decisions.. decisions... decisions!oh yeah.. and i wanna keep blazer.. i don't use the web that much.. and for what i do.. blazer works just great.......
    Sassie - nice tat
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Please ... Who can extract apps from Treo 680 ( Official ROW ).

I need original "message" program. Please tell me howto? or send me one.

The Original message program version is 2.6.1

Thank you very much.
    This is my phone detail:

Firmware: R01.31
    Software: Treo680-1.03-CNG
    CC-Cap 000-000-000
    Carrier DB: 292
    Hardware: A

What is the different between the "680 Custom Rom" from #1 and the "Treo 680 SD Update for Unlocked GSM ROW" from #3??

I am guessing I should choose any custom rom from #1 and once the update works fine with the new rom then copy the 4 files from #5 to get rid of ATT/CNG splash screens and default wallpaper, am I right?

Please correct me if I am wrong before I attempt to update to a custom rom.

Many thanks
  12.    #492  
    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboxxer View Post
    This is my phone detail:

Firmware: R01.31
    Software: Treo680-1.03-CNG
    CC-Cap 000-000-000
    Carrier DB: 292
    Hardware: A

What is the different between the "680 Custom Rom" from #1 and the "Treo 680 SD Update for Unlocked GSM ROW" from #3??

I am guessing I should choose any custom rom from #1 and once the update works fine with the new rom then copy the 4 files from #5 to get rid of ATT/CNG splash screens and default wallpaper, am I right?

Please correct me if I am wrong before I attempt to update to a custom rom.

Many thanks
    The rom in #3 is completely stripped of all apps except the OS. Cust 1 leaves all the little apps like Calculator, but larger 3rd party apps gone.

You need to download the ROM and the 4 files. Then extract the ROM and replace the four files. It will not run if you don't, they are the files that check versions.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

13.    #493  
    Quote Originally Posted by sassiebrat View Post
    i am really interested in using one of the custom ROM's here.... only I'm not sure which one, if I even need to do it... how to find out what I do have. I know that I have an unlocked 680 that I bought from Palm in February of this year. I would love to get rid of versamail and the addit stuff. I use ptunes, but wouldn't mind installing it on ram...... any help would be appreciated. I won't be doing this till the weekend. Thanks!
    The ROM's are basically the same except for what apps you still want on the Treo. AddIt is removed from all the stripped versions. I would say if you have a newer version or different package for something get one that leaves it out. So you would have to be the one to decide which is right for you.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    The rom in #3 is completely stripped of all apps except the OS. ...
    But they all have Blazer, right? Or am I wrong? Is that part of the OS?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Would someone out there PLEASE tell me if I can install the ROM and SD Update using Mac OS X.10.10? I have searched this site and googled the issue trying to find something that might give me an sense of what to do. I found myself reading very detailed info regarding code ( about which I know less than nothing ) that left me with the impression that the answer to my question is no. But I would appreciate a quick yes or no from a more experienced Treo User.

Thanks,

Dave
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I have a mac and have updated my ROM. Just load files onto SD card...
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    You need to download the ROM and the 4 files. Then extract the ROM and replace the four files. It will not run if you don't, they are the files that check versions.
    First of all many thanks, so what you are saying is I need to overwrite these 4 files before I update my ROM? Also what do you mean by extract the ROM?

I know these are the stupid questions, But I really appreciated.

Thanks brothers!
    Last edited by idiotboxxer; 07/24/2007 at 03:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I have a mac and have updated my ROM. Just load files onto SD card...
    I would have never thought of that. But I can see how it makes sense.

Thanks!
  19.    #499  
    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboxxer View Post
    First of all many thanks, so what you are saying is I need to overwrite these 4 files before I update my ROM? Also what do you mean by extract the ROM?

I know these are the stupid questions, But I really appreciated.

Thanks brothers!
    The download is in a zip archive. You need to extract the folder. Once the folder is extracted you need to find and replace the four files.

Quote Originally Posted by neko3c View Post
    Please ... Who can extract apps from Treo 680 ( Official ROW ).

I need original "message" program. Please tell me howto? or send me one.

The Original message program version is 2.6.1

Thank you very much.
    What is wrong with the new one ? Does it work?

Larry