Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Did I lose my voice recorder in this? I am one of the few people, I'll bet, who used it a lot, to record phone calls instead of taking notes, and transcribing the recording later.
    I used Custom 1, and I have Voice Recorder still. I never use it, but it's there.. There are times I kind of want to use it, but since I use it so seldom I don't have it attached to a button I never bother ;-)

Actually, interesting... It's the default Long-press side button again, just tried it.. I used to have that on one of the voice dialers but it was so crap I trashed it.
  2.    #202  
    I left Voice Recorder in on purpose. It works fine for me, though I only used it periodically.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Well, then, thanks. Me too.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    After a few scary hiccups with updating the ROM, i think it's all right now. 2 mistakes i made was not using the AC adapter ( I don't know if the updater can detect it but I noticed the red light in my cradle going off when it (custom ROM process - I was desperate) didn't when i used it in the car charger). The other was that there should not be any user input once the process started. The few failed attempts were due to me clicking the dialog screens and thus getting the error: messages. When i was in the car, i let the whole process run its course and it finalised to the calibrate the screen part. You don't know how relieved i was.

In hindsight, it would be better to wait till there is an official ROM for the Unlocked Phones before you custom ROm the phone. So that when all fails, there a fall back plan.

I didn't get quite scientific with this as i was slightly hasty but I think the Treo 680 is now slightly snappier by about 10%. Memomanager used to load with the list of meme. Now it just snaps in. And i'm no longer looking at the useless My Treo icon, etc. etc.
  5.    #205  
    Even with the official updater you would have run into this if you were tapping the screen.

Unless you mean in hindsight you have the warrenty to fall back on if it fails.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by adambike View Post
    After a few scary hiccups with updating the ROM, i think it's all right now. 2 mistakes i made was not using the AC adapter ( I don't know if the updater can detect it but I noticed the red light in my cradle going off when it (custom ROM process - I was desperate) didn't when i used it in the car charger). The other was that there should not be any user input once the process started. The few failed attempts were due to me clicking the dialog screens and thus getting the error: messages. When i was in the car, i let the whole process run its course and it finalised to the calibrate the screen part. You don't know how relieved i was.

In hindsight, it would be better to wait till there is an official ROM for the Unlocked Phones before you custom ROm the phone. So that when all fails, there a fall back plan.

I didn't get quite scientific with this as i was slightly hasty but I think the Treo 680 is now slightly snappier by about 10%. Memomanager used to load with the list of meme. Now it just snaps in. And i'm no longer looking at the useless My Treo icon, etc. etc.
    Glad it worked out for you. Did you ever get to use the instructions I sent you? Seems you did the sd update. Instructions were clear Adam. When you posted about your problem, you were not telling everything.

When we do things too quickly we are likely to end up with poor results...
    Take your time while doing the update and follow instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post

Unless you mean in hindsight you have the warrenty to fall back on if it fails.
    I think what he meant was that, as for all of us, there is no way back. No way to get back to the original or any subsequent purely Palm ROM.

We're all living on the edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I used Custom 1, and I have Voice Recorder still. I never use it, but it's there.. There are times I kind of want to use it, but since I use it so seldom I don't have it attached to a button I never bother ;-)

Actually, interesting... It's the default Long-press side button again, just tried it.. I used to have that on one of the voice dialers but it was so crap I trashed it.
    Instead of the voice memo app, I use CallRec. Its easily configurable and can record voice calls. I just press my side button key for it to start recording when needed. It can also automatically record incoming or outgoing calls. These are saved to your memory card. Another alternative is Daynotez3.

If you dont want voice memo, calc, world clock and the other apps (see post 3), my rom have those removed. Its the lean version, giving you DB Cache of 35mb. Space previously occupied by those apps are now used for db cache.
    Last edited by MFB; 06/04/2007 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    Glad it worked out for you. Did you ever get to use the instructions I sent you? Seems you did the sd update. Instructions were clear Adam. When you posted about your problem, you were not telling everything.

When we do things too quickly we are likely to end up with poor results...
    Take your time while doing the update and follow instructions.

Yes, Looking back at it now i think the endless reset loops was caused by the SD card with the custom ROM in it. If I had pulled it out and also hard reset properly, i probably would have stopped the reset looping.
    Yes, Looking back at it now i think the endless reset loops was caused by the SD card with the custom ROM in it. If I had pulled it out and also hard reset properly, i probably would have stopped the reset looping.
    You wasted the time of quite a few people just because you were too lazy to read the fricking instructions!
    Quote Originally Posted by ahlokie View Post
    Hi, I just did a CutomRom1 again today 4th June with the below phone info now. Without copying CarrierProfiles2.pdb, NetworkProfiles2.pdb, the Carrier DB shows 292, but still faces the above GPRS error. It seem the GPRS is never activated to connect anyway.

Now that I have copy the above 2 pdb, my phone info shows the below but still the same connection error.

Firmare: R01.34
    Software: Treo680-1.09-ROW
    Carrier DB: 388

Anyone has similar problem? I am using a Singapore operator... with an unlocked Treo 680. Am really lost now.

** Latest, Tried with StarHub operator in Singapore works, but NOT my network provider SingTel though I am sure I got GPRS subscribed and works on other phone model. Any files I can try to over-write to get it working?

Thanks in advance,
    Edward
    Mine is working fine. Just select Singtel IDEAS Internet APN to work. IDEAS WAP do not work well.
    At least this upgrade asks if you want to continue... I am also guilty of leaving the SD card in, but hey, it does ask. I said Cancel or whatever and removed the SD card. That reminds me, I need to delete the Palm folder off that card. It's my small card I only use for a few things.

How do you even get it to continue without the AC? Did you plug it in, then unplug it?

And kinda weird that tapping the screen would fark with the process, but hey, I found long ago that you start it and just leave it the heck alone. Unless it's asking you something, let it do its thing. It's gonna reboot a few times, it might do things where it seems to be frozen for a minute or so, etc.. Just leave it alone. It'd be nice if Palm made it more user friendly, such as each screen having informative text, such as "This will take several minutes" and "Rebooting to start next phase of upgrade" etc kind of screens.
    Its not endless. Instructions said 4 resets. One reset for a treo 680 actually consists of 2 Palm orange logos appearing one after the other. So you'll see eight of them. If you had pulled it out, you might have not done a complete upgrade and I dont know what problem you'll be posting here. So please, read and follow instructions next time.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I did read the instructions and I did not deviate from it (i think) (except I didn't use the adapter - I used the cradle linked to the notebook for power). As for the instructions (I don't want to bite the hands that feeds), it didn't clearly say which is for the Unlock version of the Treo 680 except for MFBs' post. And all posts did not inform that once the process started you should not touch the screen even if it asks you to respond. I think that's what caused my problem because the one that worked for me was the one where i let it run its course (while I was driving home) on the passenger seat.

I don't mean to defend myself but Would like to say thank-you to MFB and all involved for their suggestions. I believe there are useful lessons in the mistakes I had made - not to touch the dialogs when in the custom rom upgrade process. And do use a proper AC power plug-in.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll update the instructions to include what you have you have suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll update the instructions to include what you have you have suggested.
    I did reflash mine with the updated Custom1 ROM, and everything is fine.

This happened to me also, but because PalmOS kept reading Start.prc on SD card. So, I decided to pull out my SD card after 2 resets (after it reached 100% updating). It stopped reset and allowed me to calibrate the stylus.

Thank you for all of your hard work, jamesgangut & MFB!!!
    I did read the instructions and I did not deviate from it (i think) (except I didn't use the adapter - I used the cradle linked to the notebook for power). As for the instructions (I don't want to bite the hands that feeds), it didn't clearly say which is for the Unlock version of the Treo 680 except for MFBs' post. And all posts did not inform that once the process started you should not touch the screen even if it asks you to respond. I think that's what caused my problem because the one that worked for me was the one where i let it run its course (while I was driving home) on the passenger seat.

I don't mean to defend myself but Would like to say thank-you to MFB and all involved for their suggestions. I believe there are useful lessons in the mistakes I had made - not to touch the dialogs when in the custom rom upgrade process. And do use a proper AC power plug-in.
    The instructions from Palm about flashing the rom are quite specific that an ac adapter must be used and that you should not touch the treo until the process is completed.

Flashing a custom rom is an advanced technique and shouldn't be done willy-nilly by people who don't know the basics of upgrading firmware. All throughout this thread there are warnings about not doing this unless you know what you are doing. Clearly, you didn't bother reading all the info and you didn't know what you were doing. Blaming MFB and others because you were too lazy to read everything is really quite lame.
    Last edited by climber_rich; 06/04/2007 at 11:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahvl View Post
    I did reflash mine with the updated Custom1 ROM, and everything is fine.

This happened to me also, but because PalmOS kept reading Start.prc on SD card. So, I decided to pull out my SD card after 2 resets (after it reached 100% updating). It stopped reset and allowed me to calibrate the stylus.

Thank you for all of your hard work, jamesgangut & MFB!!!
    I would rather that you guys just wait until the resets stop on its own. Thats 4 resets. There's a reason why its acting that way and let's just let the program do its thing.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by climber_rich View Post
    The instructions from Palm about flashing the rom are quite specific that an ac adapter must be used and that you should not touch the treo until the process is completed.

Flashing a custom rom is an advanced technique and shouldn't be done willy-nilly by people who don't know the basics of upgrading firmware. All throughout this thread there are warnings about not doing this unless you know what you are doing. Clearly, you didn't bother reading all the info and you didn't know what you were doing. Blaming MFB and others because you were too lazy to read everything is really quite lame.
    Wow there CLIMBER_RICH, if PalmOS said "to not touch the treo until the process is completed" then why did they have dialog screens where they invite the user to interact with the process? You tell me....

I think you're overly harsh - calling me lazy. Isn't life about learning about ones mistake and i have admitted all of mine and shared that with all. But let's not waste anymore precious resouces on *****ing about this OK....let's move on and save the world......

And if you read English as well as you can dish it...you'll know that i did NOT impact negatively on MFB or JAMESANGUT. I am very grateful for their efforts and take my hat off for their expertise and generosity.
    After all the biYching is over, this is a great, no, fantastic, resource, hands down. And I found it more than easy to use, literally seamless. But you do have to be prepared to sit back and watch it all happen. None of these guys will make the same mistake the next time, I'm sure. Live and learn, right? Now, if somebody could just fix SAG so that it goes back and forth (and back and forth again) between the headset and PTunes just as seamlessly as this ROM upgrade works....