Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Have just received a free GPS navigator kit including TomTom6 under Palm's new offer with the Treo 680.

Many posts on here refer to people using it and it working well.

I must be doing something wrong - it starts ok - connects to gps navigator fine - but then crashes - the longest i have had success is about 3 minutes before it freezes the treo and I need to reset.

any ideas/thoughts where I am going wrong?

Regards to all

Robert

P.S. Have tried palm and tomtom support but nothing doing! :-(
    Do you know if you need the patch? http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/gps_nav.html
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  3.    #3  
    Sadly....yes i have tried the patch but it didn't change anything. :-(
    Do you have any other programs on the phone? To eliminate any doubts about this being anything more than Navigator, I would suggest a hard reset, then install only Navigator and see if it works.
  5.    #5  
    great minds think alike!

Sadly that didn't work either!

Its v strange - do you other folk leave your phone on ("wireless mode active" or whatever its called or do you switch the phone part off before using tomtom) - its v odd the way it keeps sticking - reminds me of a pc that suddenly stops responding - only without the spinning wheel of death!

Do you run your "navigator" app from the card or from the phone memory - which files did you install on the phone - have been trying all sorts of variations?

Many thanks for all suggestions so far though

Robert
    Did you get this on one SD card from which you are trying to run the program? I'm sure that's the way it's supposed to work, but I think most of us inherited Navigator from our 650s and already had it along with other programs on our SD cards. I, for one (of many as far as I understand) have no problems running it in that way, but I've always been a little wary of the Navigator SD card itself. If you could install it via the Navigator PC program onto your regular SD card, maybe that would help. But I haven't a clue. Sorry. It works like a charm (don't mean to rub it in) the way I have it. But if it won't run after a hard reset, it's obviously the program, not something else, or a hardware program if the phone works well otherwise. I'd go back to Palm and start climbing up the support ladder.
    How much memory (of various sorts) do you have available. get hold of MemoryInfo and DBCacheTool or similar utilities. You may be running out of memory or cache or both.

How much free memory do you have? What are you running in the background that may be using Cache memory?

If you do a soft reset before running Navigator, does it run longer?

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    I'm having the exact same problem!

Navigator keeps crashing after a few minutes of use.

Have you had any luck with this?

This is really annoying; I had bought the phone knowing that I could get the GPS rebate, as I needed both for my new Job.

Regards,
    Donal

P.s. I've also tried Tom Tom's support no luck so far.
    tomtom support ha!
  10.    #10  
    Eureka - I think!!!!

Got a sort of response from Palm tech support - you have to be an expert to even find their email support option in their website - its is really well buried/hidden - even obscured.

Once you find it you have to answer a whole load of questions about your pc and your treo and software versions etc......

..... which as i found out is a total waste of time.

I got a badly worded copy & paste email response - which blantantly ignored all the info i'd given - it asked me to reset the treo using the reset button (tricky since the treo 680 doesn't have a reset button - you just remove and re-insert the battery; more impressively they asked me to do stuff on windows explorer.... which given i told them i was running a mac and OS X was an impressive ask).........

Anyway - i know enough to get around most of what they were saying - and the most important thing was this:

The TomTOm Navigator card i got from TomTOm was a mini-SD card with a palm adadpter-thing to make it a full size SD card.

What i had to do was copy the contents of the card (which means you either have to have a sd card reader or software like Missing Sync to mount the card via the phone)

Then erase the card - it would appear the card ships in Fat16 format - which doesn't get on with the Treo (WHY SHIP IT THAT WHY I HEAR YOU ASK!!!!)

Anyway - then once data backed up you reformat card as Fat32 - and re-installl TomTom files onto the card.

In my case that improved performance about 70% but was still having occasional crashes.

Then I noticed after the freezes/crashes teh treo wasn't recognising the minisd card.... well - wasn't mounting it and showing navigator at least....

so i wondered if the sd card/adapter was intermittently faulty or losing contact......

so I got a normal (non-mini full size sd card) and copied the TOmTom stuff onto that - put that it- and wow - awesome difference - 95% better - only v occasional freezes/crashes.....

Finally - i buggered about with the preferences and found.....
    - if i used the Uk english female voice ??Jane?? i think - it crashes - but the male voice Tim os solid ????dodgy audio file???

- also if i switch off 3d mapping - so i get an aerial view of the roads instaed performance is much smoother.

today it did 4 journies - all less the 20mins - but all faultless - even managed to recalculate routes if i deliberately took wrong turnings and things.

Given that it wouldn't run for more than a minute before i think thats a success.

In summary:
    - use a normal SD not the crappy thing you get sent
    - format as Fat32 before use
    - simplify the program to minimise CPU effort

Am now a happy punter -= although very annoyed that Palm obviously know this is a problem but TOmTom/Palm are still shipping the card in the wrong format.

Unbelieveable.

Stilll - fingers crossed mine continues to work.

NB. palm also got me to hard reset - then reinstall the TomTOm card - did that - but have since also done a complete reinstall from my treo back up of how it was and it seems to work fine now also so am unconvinced a hard reset was needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rw5373 View Post
    Have just received a free GPS navigator kit including TomTom6 under Palm's new offer with the Treo 680.
    (
    I just visited Palm's WEB site and cannot find this 'free' offer.
    Can you please post a link?
    TIA.
    Regards,

Allan C.
    Quote Originally Posted by allanc View Post
    I just visited Palm's WEB site and cannot find this 'free' offer.
    Can you please post a link?
    TIA.
    I don't know where you live, but this offer only appears to be valid in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by rw5373 View Post
    Eureka - I think!!!! ...
    Many thanks for posting this, I was having _exactly_ the same problems after getting one of these just a couple of weeks ago. It had all kinds of weird symptoms, and I was thinking that either TT's software was C**P or the phone was faulty. It would even lock up just sitting on the desktop and not going anywhere!

I was beginning to think it might be the card because sometimes after TT losing the plot, the Treo thought there wasn't card in the slot at all. I've now copied the whole thing onto a different FAT32-formatted card and so far it all looks good. In fact the whole thing seems more responsive all round, I think it must access the card quite heavily.

I checked my other SD cards (mainly used for MP3s), and it looks like they come formatted FAT16 by default, even a 2GB one. I've never thought of re-formatting them, maybe it's worth it for other purposes.

FAT16 probably works fine up to 256 MB, because at that capacity the cluster size is 4k, which is the same as the default for FAT32. But at 512 MB, FAT16 goes to 8k clusters, and my guess is that somehow this is messing up the TT software.

Once I've proved this is reliable I'll try re-formatting the TT mini-SD card and copy it all back - then see if that card's actually any good at all!

Cheers
    Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    I don't know where you live, but this offer only appears to be valid in Europe.
    Thank you for the clarification.
    I am in Canada.
    Regards,

Allan C.
    Hello and sorry for my bad english

I've the same issue with my treo 680 and I don't understand finely how format the card.

I've got the mini-sd card tomtom send me. (512Mo)

I did a FAT 16 with 32ko clusters format,
    and the result is better but I can't do a complete trip without freeze.

An other format could it be better ???? Like FAT32 4ko for example ???
    Quote Originally Posted by paul80FR View Post
    I've the same issue with my treo 680 and I don't understand finely how format the card.
    I formatted a card in Windows using a USB card reader. Just select quick format, FAT32, default cluster size. You can then copy the whole of the original TT card onto the new card.

If you don't have a card reader you can get an app. like Card Export that will make the Treo behave like one. A separate USB-2 reader is well worth the small cost though, because the Treo is only USB-1.1. USB-2 is *MUCH* faster than USB-1!

HTH
    Rick
    Agree with the need for a card reader. That 20 bucks is one of the best investments I've made considering the huge size of SDHC cards (up to 8GB) these days. It can easily save you 30 minutes or more on large file transfers, over crappy free-after-rebate card readers. For some reason, people are very particular on using the fastest SD cards, but are perfectly happy to use any cheapest card reader they can find. It's kinda puzzling to me.

The fastest card reader (also the one I'm using) is the Transcend:

http://www.transcendusa.com/Products...o=135&LangNo=0
    I'd test a lot of configuration and my VFSMARK value don't up more than 530

Is there someone who have this score and no problèm ?
    Hello

I've succed today my first complete trip with tomtom. (30 km (near 20 miles))

I've formated my SD-CARD (mini SD tomtom 512 I repeat) directly with palm tool (info CARD) which use FAT 16 and 8k

clusters.

But the result was not better. (a little bit about speaking)

However, I've done an hard-reset of my Treo 680, and NOT INSTALLED AGENDUS.

I've notice that TTN6 didn't freeze during complicated streed or crossroad, but freeze after some times.

I think that AGENDUS have an automatic feature wich requier a lot of ressources times to times and freeze the TTN

I'll search the feature, and keep you in touch about it.

Thanks
    Paul
    I suggested earlier ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    FAT16 probably works fine up to 256 MB, because at that capacity the cluster size is 4k, which is the same as the default for FAT32. But at 512 MB, FAT16 goes to 8k clusters, and my guess is that somehow this is messing up the TT software.

Once I've proved this is reliable I'll try re-formatting the TT mini-SD card and copy it all back - then see if that card's actually any good at all!
    After some more playing around, I've come to the conclusion that the FAT type or cluster size isn't the issue - it's just the card.

Re-formatting the original card and putting TT back onto it didn't make it any better. It would still slow down and hang after a short period of use. I then formatted my replacement card back to FAT16, and TT still works fine on that one. (Unlike rw, I haven't seen any problems with the voice or 3D display.)

I tried using TomTom's mini-SD card in a standard card reader, and copied a bunch of files onto it, and it was noticeably slower than my other cards (I didn't do any exact timings). I also tried using it with NVBackup in the Treo, and again it was distinctly slow, although it did work.

So I think the speed of the card, especially write speed, matters with TT. I guess it continually updates its status, location, etc. to the card, so any slow write response makes the whole thing drag and eventually stop. Black mark to TT for supplying the software on (presumably) the cheapest cards they can find.

The card I've been using successfully isn't anything lighting fast, it's two years old - 512MB - and probably the cheapest I could find at the time! But it's better than the TT one.

So my recommendation from all that is: if you're having problems, especially slow response and hanging, just try another card.

HTH
    Rick
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast