Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    to be honest and JMHO I don't think anyone but us fanatics cares about updates. How many "normal" people do you know that even know their phone as a PRL never mind firmware that can get updated? If you don't have a tivo do you know how often they update the software? A slingbox? An ipod? It's just the fanatical user base that knows about such things and I don't know that company's always care about us- they might just take us for granted and assume we'll by the 755 or 800 or 850 or whatever when we get good and annoyed.

I suspect the only people that the care to please with a firmware update are the carriers support people. So unless the update is more likely to avoid more calls from happening then I'm not sure they care much. Most likely the majority of support calls happen in the first few months (if not days) of ownership- so if for example sprint isn't selling it anymore then how many calls will they avoid compared to the amount of calls from people having issues upgrading?

I still think they will upgrade them soon- but I don't think it's cause they care for us much.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carterism View Post
    will work better than the 755p devices? lol
    You have to take into consideration that the 755p is still at least a year out from its MR...

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    to be honest and JMHO I don't think anyone but us fanatics cares about updates. How many "normal" people do you know that even know their phone as a PRL never mind firmware that can get updated? If you don't have a tivo do you know how often they update the software? A slingbox? An ipod? It's just the fanatical user base that knows about such things and I don't know that company's always care about us- they might just take us for granted and assume we'll by the 755 or 800 or 850 or whatever when we get good and annoyed.

I suspect the only people that the care to please with a firmware update are the carriers support people. So unless the update is more likely to avoid more calls from happening then I'm not sure they care much. Most likely the majority of support calls happen in the first few months (if not days) of ownership- so if for example sprint isn't selling it anymore then how many calls will they avoid compared to the amount of calls from people having issues upgrading?

I still think they will upgrade them soon- but I don't think it's cause they care for us much.

We are also the people who when we spend $650 for a device expect it to perform to its advertised specifications out of the box. Its sad that a free flip phone can have better bluetooth (doing voice dialing over bluetooth, texting over bluetooth), its also sad it can open and change between menus faster than the 700p. And yes you can install 3rd party applications on Java based phones and whats also said is most of them have about 50 MB of free space vs the treo just having 10 more MB than that.

Also I might add a small but smart number of companies are involving more and more people in beta software test programs to speed up development and find problems. Does it make sense to just have a small user base test the product? No give it to the power users in within a week or two they can probably report back more problems and feedback than the software/hadware engineers that built the phone can in a year.
    My bet is tomrrow. They'll have all that good publicity from the new 'mystery' device to cover up the bad publicity from not releasing an update for a year...
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    Y'know what? efudd makes a really really good point.

As I'm sitting around on pins and needles waiting for this %$#&@! MR from Palm, it occurred to me that the vast majority of Treo users wouldn't have the faintest idea how to install one. Maybe I'm just jaded from being a sysadmin for so long, but the average user would've (and probably has) given up on this buggy, flaky, piece of %$&*#@! long ago.

And now that I think about it, why the hell should I be so anxious about getting an MR that I have to pray will make my phone do what they promised me it would do out of the %$^#&*@! box--and be kept almost completely in the dark about right up until its release!?

Screw this bull$#!t. I've been a loyal Palm user ever since the USRobotics days. And y'know what else occurred to me? The legions and legions of CrackBerry users out there: maybe I should check their forums, and see if any of their power users are sitting on pins and needles waiting for service releases that have no concrete release date. So I did. And y'know what? The overwhelming majority of their users love their CrackBerrys and they get better support and communication from RIM than we've ever gotten from Palm.

You hear that, Palm!!!???

Probably not--they probably don't read this forum.

But you can bet your @$$ that I'm going to post this in the Palm blog--and as soon as I get that MR onto my 700p, that piece of $#%@! is going right on eBay. And then I'm going to the nearest Verizon store and buying an 8830e.

@%$! this. I've sooooooooooooooo had it with Palm, their support, their arrogance, and their broken promises.
    Come on, what's one more day, or week for that matter.
    A month, I could understand.

We've already been waiting a year.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Come on, what's one more day, or week for that matter.
    A month, I could understand.

We've already been waiting a year.
    Exactly. A year! Meanwhile, Palm has released patches for other phones, AND A WHOLE NEW SUCCESSOR to the freaking 700p!

Would you tolerate this kind of response from your auto manufacturer? Or your laptop manufacturer? I'll bet you wouldn't. When Dell's batteries started bursting into flames, Dell instituted a worldwide recall immediately! Now, granted, this is a bit of an extreme example--staticy BlueTooth headset transmissions, to the best of my knowledge, never injured anyone, to my knowledge--but it's still pretty damn obnoxious. Even the Evil Empire in Redmond releases patches and fixes on a very timely basis. You don't have to wait a freaking year for a Windows service release.

Enough is enough. Palm has been through so many owners and changes that it's lost sight of its mission--and its customers. Something needs to bring their mission back into sharp focus, because right now it's blurry as hell.

And maybe a bunch of disgruntled owners and bad press will force a housecleaning.
    Last edited by piusg; 05/30/2007 at 11:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by piusg View Post
    Y'know what? efudd makes a really really good point.

So I did. And y'know what? The overwhelming majority of their users love their CrackBerrys and they get better support and communication from RIM than we've ever gotten from Palm.
    a bad 700p is still much better for me than any BB. if you want a BB...i am sure if you have any busines savvy at all...you can get a BB VERY cheap or free if you are with sprint.

its funny how many people that complain about the 700p are also the ones that think they know how to run palm better than palm does.

the a900 (one of the first evdo phones from sprint) had far worse problems for me..bluetooth was much worse than the 700p.

but that was a good thing...because i got a free 700p. i could get a free 755 now, but with the 700p MR on the horizon..i will see how the patch works first.

my suggestion to all of you who have had repeated problems with the 700p...use it to your advantage. you may find that all these problems with the 700p were actually worth it
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by piusg View Post
    Exactly. A year! Meanwhile, Palm has released patches for other phones, AND A WHOLE NEW SUCCESSOR to the freaking 700p!

Would you tolerate this kind of response from your auto manufacturer? Or your laptop manufacturer? I'll bet you wouldn't. When Dell's batteries started bursting into flames, Dell instituted a worldwide recall immediately! Now, granted, this is a bit of an extreme example--staticy BlueTooth headset transmissions, to the best of my knowledge, never injured anyone, to my knowledge--but it's still pretty damn obnoxious. Even the Evil Empire in Redmond releases patches and fixes on a very timely basis. You don't have to wait a freaking year for a Windows service release.

Enough is enough. Palm has been through so many owners and changes that it's lost sight of its mission--and its customers. Something needs to bring their mission back into sharp focus, because right now it's blurry as hell.

And maybe a bunch of disgruntled owners and bad press will force a housecleaning.
    I will go out on a limb with this.

I predict that if the MR is not out by Friday, on Monday I will send the first registered letters to Palm and Sprint demanding a remedy to their defective product.

It will be the first of many I am sure. But this is the start of a legal process. The ball is entirely in their hands after that.

I have had enough. I cannot tolerate a business tool that resets during a phone call or loses messages because it resets itself on reception.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Evo
    What does "MR" stand for by the way?

Can't wait for this update. My phone's been working great until just this past week when it crashed and deleted all my contacts and software. I had to do a hard reset and stupidly had not hotsync'd since March.

Eagerly awaiting the new update to the ROM.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    MR=Maintenance Release

Friday is probably the better chance. But if its like a lot of our projects, it means that any time before Monday fits as this week.

Friday is the better chance, because they won't want to continue testing over the weekend, but if they are behind, they'll wait until Sunday because once they are working the weekend, they are working the weekend.
    It's sick... I've been reading the Palm blog; pathetic users practically begging for the MR. It's nauseating. "Oh please, oh please, Mr. Sinclair, Please please please fix my poor, little, broken Treo..."

Why should we have to BEG for it!? Why didn't they address the problems as soon as they knew there was a problem!? Why did they let feature creep bloat and delay an MR that was desperately needed--nay, required?

Enough is enough. Get on the Palm Blog and voice your displeasure somewhere that it'll count. I sure as hell did.
    Last edited by piusg; 05/30/2007 at 12:33 PM.
    Jeff H didn't want to get bombed with questions about the MR during the Foleo unveiling. I think they let Foleo get the spotlight tomorrow and the MR comes out on Friday.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    I just spoke with a Palm Tech person. Here is the support chat dialog:

Jacob>
    Hello.

Greg_Zartman>
    Hello Jacob

Jacob>
    I understand that you want to download the update for Treo 700p device.

Greg_Zartman>
    Yes

Jacob(Tue May 29 13:25:33 PDT 2007)>
    The update is being released in this week. However, the exact date of release is not confirmed yet.

Greg_Zartman>
    Oh, so it isn't out yet?

Jacob>
    One thing that is sure here is that update will be released in this week.

Greg_Zartman>
    OK, then I will keep checking back

Jacob>
    Yes, it isn't out yet.

Jacob>
    The update will be released in this week.

Greg_Zartman>
    Good news! Thank you for your time

Jacob>
    Please check the Palm website for regular updates regarding this.

Jacob>
    You're welcome.

SOO comical.. They are in day 3 of a short week, have 2 days left to release it (hmm, I dunno Bob, should be release it today, tomorrow or Friday...Dunno Jim, lets decide tomorrow)

WTF?!?

Palm==dead company in my mind...
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    They would wait until Friday so there wont be any support during the weekend... LOSERS!
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Probably late Friday. That is the most likely time. Even though a midnight on Sunday morning is just as likely......
    Matty
    They will wait until Friday because they are not going to steal Jeff's thunder by bumping the Foleo blog headline so soon. Although they should.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    You have to take into consideration that the 755p is still at least a year out from its MR...

SMEGGIE
    Please tell me your are not serious, as the 680 already got their Updates.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I'm guessing 5pm Friday so they can all leave for the weekend and not get endless support calls and have to keep hearing about how inadequate it is.
    Could be, though I never had a problem doing an ROM upgrade. Ben
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12