Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I want to buy a GPS unit and I can't figure out whether I should buy a standalone unit or buy a GPS unit that works with the Treo 680 PalmOS phone. Are there any major advantages/drawbacks to one or the other?

My main goal is to have a GPS in my car that will assist me find my way around the city to which I'm moving (Atlanta). Secondary goals include: possibly using overseas, linking to data (e.g. reviews) about local businesses as I get to know my new city (e.g. what's the best restaurant in this neighborhood?), and possibly receiving real-time updates about traffic (Atlanta is known to have terrible traffic jams).

As I understand it, one drawback of getting a GPS unit that works with the Palm is that I can't simultaneously use the GPS and talk on the phone. On the other hand, it seems to be less expensive than getting a separate standalone GPS unit. Are there other advantages/drawbacks I'm not thinking of?

Palm is currently selling a GPS package for the Treo that includes: TomTom Navigator 6 software and a SiRFstarIII GPS receiver with Bluetooth for $200. It seems that I can buy a standalone GPS unit from the stores in this area for anything from $250 to $1000.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Abe Z.
    Quote Originally Posted by amz1 View Post
    It seems that I can buy a standalone GPS unit from the stores in this area for anything from $250 to $1000.
    I think your best bet is to narrow down how much you are willing to spend then balance that against your "must-have" features. The biggest advantage of going the TomTom-on-Palm route is price. I find that TomTom Navigator 6 works just as well as the stand-alone products at a fraction of the cost, albeit with a smaller screen.

In the stand-alone arena, many devices are starting to add additional features such as enhanced points-of-interest, reviews, etc. The way I see it, the stand-alone products are slowly becoming more PDA-like and portable. If that's the case, you already have that with your Treo, correct?

You bring up a good point about not being able to make a call and use TomTom simultaneously. If your calls are infrequent and short (as are mine) then it's not really an issue. TomTom recalculates very quickly so it's no big deal when going back into the program. It might only be an issue if you are in a city and need to make a bunch of turns in quick succession.
    I agree with MarkY. The reason I went with Navigator for the Treo was due to price and convenience. Last year I bought Navigator 5 with the OnCourse SiRF Star III Bluetooth GPS Receiver (BT-339) for $194. I have seen bundles now for $159 http://www.semsons.com/tona6usawial.html and I am sure you can find them cheaper.

Like MarkY, my calls are infrequent and short. So not being able to use the phone simultaneously is a non-issue for me. Having just one device is great.

However, if I was planning to use it just in one car I would probably get the standalone GPS and have it properly mounted. I take the Treo/GPS with me on both of our cars. When I go to Puerto Rico on vacation I do the same.

Is all about personal preference.
    Last edited by cash70; 05/29/2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Updated link
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Price was definitely a factor for me along with ease of portability. The add-on GPS receiver is less bulky (maybe 1/3 the size) than a standalone GPS. The biggest drawback is that I can not make phone calls while running my GPS software.

I use Telenav for $10 per month which is about the same price as TomTom after 18 months once you factor in the software upgrade charges from TomTom.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I have a Mio C310x GPS unit which is pretty small, but has tons of features and has a much larger screen than the Treo. I hacked mine and installed TCPMP on it which allows me to watch videos on it as well. I got mine for $150 at a black Friday sale, but they retail around $200 normally.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by amz1 View Post
    As I understand it, one drawback of getting a GPS unit that works with the Palm is that I can't simultaneously use the GPS and talk on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    The biggest drawback is that I can not make phone calls while running my GPS software.
    Not true, at least with the Garmin Mobile 10. You can use the phone and the GPS at the same time. I do it all the time. When you're on the phone, however, you don't get voice guidance so you have to watch the display or you'll miss your exit.

I don't know if other programs like TomTom work this way or not, I haven't tried them.

What you can't do with any software is use a bluetooth headset and the GPS at the same time, since (as far as I understand) the Treo can only use one bluetooth device at a time and the GPS receiver needs to use the bluetooth connection to the Treo.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 05/30/2007 at 12:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Not true, at least with the Garmin Mobile 10. You can use the phone and the GPS at the same time. I do it all the time. When you're on the phone, however, you don't get voice guidance so you have to watch the display or you'll miss your exit.

I don't know if other programs like TomTom work this way or not, I haven't tried them.

What you can't do with any software is use a bluetooth headset and the GPS at the same time, since (as far as I understand) the Treo can only use one bluetooth device at a time and the GPS receiver needs to use the bluetooth connection to the Treo.
    With Tomtom5 on an incoming call you goto the phone app but when the call ends it does not take you back to the gps application. However I dunno if this has changed with TomTom6 version. As far as multitasking, I have been able to play Ptunes in the backround while using TomTom on my Treo...

In regards to the original question...an integrated solution for your car would be the best and most streamlined. If you want something portable then a standalone gps devices is for you. IF you want something cheaper and integrated with your Treo but with less overall device integration, then gps bundle with treo is good. Understand though that standalone devices are generally better at that one feature than what the Treo can do...too bad the Treo doesn't have intgrated satellite gps tho for this...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I am mulling the same decision, but one of my big issues is screen visibility with 50+ year old eyes on a Treo while on the fly. An if screen visibility is compromised then audio quality also becomes extremely important. Any experiences?
    I find screen visability to not be a problem in sunlight if you turn your brightness all the way up. Since you'll want to use your Treo with a car charger there isn't a concern about Treo battery drain. Also, there isn't a lot of extraneous information on the TomTom screen fighting for the limited space. I assume that case is similar with other products. At night the visibility is very good.

I find the audio quality to be superb. With that said, the Treo screen is still small compared with standalone nav systems but I have pretty bad vision and don't have a problem with it.

One thing to consider is that if you wear sunglasses they might cut down on visibility. The good thing is that you can just put your sunglasses on and look at your Treo outside to see if that will be a problem.
    I had gps on my Treo 650 and Treo 700p. I used TomTom and Garmin for a number of years until about 6 months ago. For price I'd go with the software solution on a Treo.

If you can spend a few hundred dollars, get a Garmin Nuvi. There are Garmin Nuvi units that cost as low as $200 and work better then any of the software on the Palm devices. You can get a Garmin Nuvi 350 for around $350 that also does Text to Speech (reading street names).

Additionally, standalone units are usually easier to navigate while in your car. They also are more reliable. Palm device do have the occasional reset, which doesn't happen with a standalone unit. This doesn't happen frequently but it sucks when you are looking for your turn and the devices resets. You might have to pull over and wait.
    Well, I've decided to go with a standalone unit (one of the Nuvi's). When I looked at the bulk you had to tote, it was actually more with the Treo, but the dealbreaker for me was that I couldn't remove it and hand it to another Treoless family member for occasional use in their car.
    One more question. Does anybody have any experience with the Bluetooth integration with standalone units and 700p, particularly with the Garmin Nuvis.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillydog View Post
    Well, I've decided to go with a standalone unit (one of the Nuvi's). When I looked at the bulk you had to tote, it was actually more with the Treo, but the dealbreaker for me was that I couldn't remove it and hand it to another Treoless family member for occasional use in their car.
    Ah, very good reasoning. As far as Bluetooth integration, you might want to look here (www.gpspassion.com) if no one here has an answer.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I have been looking at this for some time now. I would like a unit to handle golf like Skycaddie and also navigation. it doesn't seem like there is a standalone unit that can do both these as well as a Treo with Tom Tom and golf software installed. Or is there?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsman View Post
    I have been looking at this for some time now. I would like a unit to handle golf like Skycaddie and also navigation. it doesn't seem like there is a standalone unit that can do both these as well as a Treo with Tom Tom and golf software installed. Or is there?
    Me too. Suggestions please?
    I have a parrot 3300 handsfree+bluetooth GPS system and when I receive a call on my treo 650, tom tom switches to the phone app, but I can just launch tom tom again, while I am in the middle of a call so I can navigate and talk at the same exact time!
    Last edited by car_designer; 06/30/2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: corrected model number
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    This is true with TT5 and TT6 on the 700p. You can answer the call, then switch back to TT and stay on your call as long as you are not using a BT headset. If you are using a BT headset, the call comes throught the set but once TT gets activated, it will not connect to the GPS until the call is over.
    With the parrot system you can connect to the parrot handsfree bluetooth plus use the parrot bluetooth GPS at the same time. It really works great. I am pretty sure that this is the only bluetooth solution that lets you do both at the same time and totally wireless for both handsfree and gps.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post

If you can spend a few hundred dollars, get a Garmin Nuvi. There are Garmin Nuvi units that cost as low as $200 and work better then any of the software on the Palm devices. You can get a Garmin Nuvi 350 for around $350 that also does Text to Speech (reading street names).
    I'm going with a stand alone.

I was between the Tomtom One and the Garmin and it sounds to me that Garmin is a better unit after scouring the web and reading many reviews, both professional and consumer.

It's down to the Garmin Nuvi 350 and the Nuvi 360 over TomTom, mainly for the text to speech function. (So instead of saying "Turn right at 200 ft." it would say "Turn right at Lovers Lane," which I think would make driving a lot safer.

Having bluetooth work in the 360 would be so sweet, but it would cost more money.

Here's a good forum for GPS research:

http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

P.S. the TomTom 910 does also have text to speech and also Ipod intergration (if I'm not mistaken).
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 08/04/2007 at 02:03 PM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I've used TomTom 5 on a 650 and the Garmin Street Pilot C320. For sheer ease of use the Street Pilot wins...though TomTom on the Palm is very good. If I was picking one for everyday use in my car I'd definitely buy the Garmin stand alone unit (both my brothers liked it so much they bought one.)

I even brought it along on vacation, however, I forgot and left it in a rental car. I did get it back. But the whole ordeal was taxing. So I will not bring it with me on trips again.

This last vacation I just brought my 755p and used GoogleMap to guide me. It didn't have a GPS function but the maps are always up to date and the routing is pretty good.

I'm still have the bluetooth GPS and am considering buying an upgrade to TomTom 6 so that I can just bring the little GPS on vacation (but will I leave that in a car) or so I can have it when the GPS is in the other car.
    Last edited by Disaster; 08/08/2007 at 08:41 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast