Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Disaster,

I went with the Garmin 350. Hopefully, it will arrive today or at the latest tomorrow.

We're heading for NY and Canada this weekend, and this would be a great time and opportunity to use it.

I just want to familarize myself with with it first before getting on the road.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom View Post
    I went with the Garmin 350.
    Do you mean the 530? Never heard of a 350.

I went with the 320 (even though now it is more expensive than the 330) because I absolutely did not want an internal hard drive. That is what failed on my last auto GPS, a Magellan. The entire US and Canadian maps fit on the 2Mb SD card with plenty of room to spare.

The Garmin 3xx series are stupid easy to operate. Funny thing is I had mine a year and didn't know about some of the advanced features till my brothers, who are both salesmen and use their's everyday, pointed them out to me. I didn't even know how to save your current location into the memory (which is way less intuitive than it should be.)

Love the detour feature which has literally saved me hours and hours of time routing me around horrible traffic jams.

Another nice feature is the browse which lets you browse to different POI's. For example, you can browse for gas stations. However, the distance it shows, during the browse is "as a crow flies." It may say .2 miles, but you may have to go 4 miles up the road to an exit and backtrack to get to it. My brother, taught me a trick. When choosing between locations, first choose route, then click on the lower left hand touch area and it will show the actual miles. Funny to see something go from .2 to 12 miles!

My biggest complaint is that POI's you add do not get added to the main POI database. For example, if you add Karl's Hobby Shop (which isn't an existing POI) you can't search for it from the regular search screen. You have to get to it by going to your "Favorites" and scrolling down to it.
    Here is a link to the 350 from their site:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...0&locale=en_US

I tell you there are so many models on the market for Garmin alone, I spent quite a bit of time researching just to narrow it down to Garmin. Originally, I was looking at TomTom, because I know someone who has one, a another whose husband has a Garmin.

I found review sites best for providing crucial comparisions. As you say, people use their devices differently.

I still meet Treo folks who don't use their unit for even half of what it can do. I'm probalby about 3/4 the user and other have surpassed me in maximizing thier gadget usage.

Thanks for the tip on the POI's. Learning new devices can be a task in itself, and I like to push mines to work.

Sidebar: LOL, right after I posted that my GPS should arrive soon, we got a delivery. I was so excited, but it was my husband's Ipod. I love Apple's batter replacement plan! If you drop it in water, etc, and it stops working, you can send it in with $50.00 and they replace it! I'm excited because it's not new and he's had it for a couple of years now. (Well out of warranty)

P.S. I wasn't going to pay that much for a GPS, I got mines off of Ebay for $350 with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    LOL, right after I posted that my GPS should arrive soon, we got a delivery. I was so excited, but it was my husband's Ipod.
    D_mn, Garmin makes a confusing amount of GPS's. You got a Nuvi...not a Street Pilot. That is why I didn't see it. Not as familiar with Nuvi's.

Same thing happened to me when waiting for my Samsung WEP200 headset. A small package arrived. I tore it apart excited to see my new headset. It was a sugarbowl my wife had ordered. Huge deflated sigh.

P.S. The WEP200 arrived an hour later. I can't say enough about it. It is the best, by far of any BT headset I have ever used. It doesn't have fancy noise cancelation or folding components that put it into sleep mode. What it does do is work and work really well. It only weighs 10 grams and is about as inconspicuous as you can get (hate geeking looking headsets.) It works 20 feet away...even through walls...and the sound is crystal clear.

And to think....I only had to go through a dozen headsets before finding this one. :-O
    Cool,

Is it bluetooth?

I stopped using my Motorola long ago. I just wished they made them smaller. I felt odd with that tub handing out of my ear.

Cool,

Is it bluetooth?

I stopped using my Motorola long ago. I just wished they made them smaller. I felt odd with that tub handing out of my ear.
    Yes. I had a Motorola 850 that made me feel like I was a "Trekkie." Here is a review at Cnet. Keep in mind this is a simple BT headset with no DSP or noise cancellation. Having said that, it works extremely well and I have heard lots of complaints about DSP/Noise canceling headsets causing your voice to sound tinny and hollow. No problems like that with this headset.

http://reviews.cnet.com/bluetooth-he...-31995314.html

It is available in other colors like white and red. I was going to let my wife try it and if she likes it get her a white one to match her phone (though the black one is the "deal" right now.)

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...y=15&search=GO
    Great, thanks for the links.

I love CNET's videos! They and Amazon.com are excellent sources for varied consumer reviews. -LOL

Question; does this BT device allow for mp3 music to be transmitted? I've long stopped looking at bt headsets so I don't know if that technology is even available yet.

Thanks!

Great, thanks for the links.

I love CNET's videos! They and Amazon.com are excellent sources for varied consumer reviews. -LOL

Question; does this BT device allow for mp3 music to be transmitted? I've long stopped looking at bt headsets so I don't know if that technology is even available yet.

Thanks!
    I've not kept up with this either. I recall that the Palm has very poor support for this...as in none. There is a third party software that allows full bluetooth support for headsets...but if I recall, it costs $30 dollars and I am not enamored enough by BT to pay that much. Also, obviously, with this headset you'd only get mono.
    I purchased the Nuvi 360 as soon as it became available and my dissappointment has been increasing with every software update that Garmin releases.

As a device that is supposed to be primarily a NAVIGATION UNIT, Garmin has decided to leave out "or disable" some important features in this pricey little gem of theirs. The kicker is that these very usable features are found in some of their less expensive models and in just about all their competitor's (also less expensive) units.

Features such as:
    1. Street / Roadblock avoidance
    2. planning and saving routes
    3. multiple via points
    4. weighted slider for highway to road preference
    5. tracks / breadcrumb function
    6. a detour function with more options

It's a shame that Garmin decided to cripple the star of their GPS line up in such a way. For about half the price, you can go invest in Garmin's iQue (pocket pc) bundle and GPS features coming out the wazoo.
    I use "Detour" to avoid traffic jams. Love that feature. I'm wondering what might be crippled in the Nuvi vs. the Street Pilot.

I add second and third "stops" all the time to the Street Pilot and it asks me if I want to keep the same end point. Works great. For example, when heading to the museum I route to a drugstore. I can then stop and pick up my prescription without having to reroute to the museum. It uses the drugstore as a via point along the way. Very handy. Wonder how the Nuvi might be different in this regard.

There are no tracks, bread crumbs or saving of routes in the Street Pilot. I suspect this is in a more "GPS" GPS vs. an auto model.

There is no weighted slider in the Street Pilot. Just a choice...avoid or not.
    I bought a garmin 660 and it is a great standalone 4" widescreen gps, and they are sending me the most recent maps for free. Definitely a quality company, and better mapping in the Allentown Pa area than TomTom.
    I just used TT6 on my trip to Orlando, the three POI's I tried where consistently off to the point of being useless. TT5 worked better but lacking the whole country route thing is way to restrictive for me. Tons of POI's missing on dB but they show on map also. Stay with TT5, it's faster also.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    I just used TT6 on my trip to Orlando, the three POI's I tried where consistently off to the point of being useless. TT5 worked better but lacking the whole country route thing is way to restrictive for me. Tons of POI's missing on dB but they show on map also. Stay with TT5, it's faster also.
    That is disappointing, I had hoped it would have improved since TT5 (what I used with my 650.)

Was thinking of upgrading to TT6 because of the deal price at Palm and because it comes with a nice car kit and newer, better BT GPS than the one I've got.

The biggest issue I had with TT5 was it's occasional funky routing. One time, in Phoenix, it routed us to the back of the airport...where the FedEx and other delivery trucks go. Took about 10 minutes to figure out how to get back around the airport to the front.

Wouldn't it be great if GoogleMaps worked with BT GPS's. I've run into a couple occasions where the older (version 7) maps on the Garmin C320 don't have streets...or POI's. GoogleMaps rescued me with up to date maps.
    I found this unit which states that it's compatible w/ google maps.. Does anyone know if that means the free google maps app?
    http://mytreo.net/store/product.php?xProd=1384

I am planning on using my treo 700wx for GPS Golfing + Road trips...and this device seems like it would be perfect...and inexpensive..
    Last edited by rick24; 08/13/2007 at 12:49 PM.
    The routing on TT6 still sucks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12