1.    #1  
    At this moment, I am posting this message through my 755p while simultaneously listening to streaming music through PTunes 4.0.2. Just a minute ago, a phone call came through and I answered it which paused the music. After hanging up the call, the music automatically resumed. Very cool! I did however have to re-enter the internet by going into the Web app because the Treo stayed on the phone app after the phone call ended. Oh well, a minor inconvenience. I'm curious how many different functions the 755p can handle simultaneously without crashing. I wish someone would send me some emails through Chatter at this moment for extra torture testing!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Dude that is nothing. This is what I have running:
    -Chattermail with push email running in the background.
    -pTunes streaming music in the background.
    -Browsing the web or running TomTom

Then, adding Mundu in the back works for a little bit, but crashes somehow. I'm guessing Mundu sees that all sockets are used and doesn't know any better but crash. I'm pretty sure Verichat would have done a much better job since it used to be fine on the 650.

Anybody has tried this?

Al
    Pocket Tunes has the functionality of playing on the background, which is pretty cool. I have not used any other application that does that. I think I've heard that Chatter works on the background too. But I've never used it.

Other programs will "pause" or "stop" while you answer the phone. For example, if I get a call while using TomTom, the phone application will come up. Once the call is over, I have to tap on the TomTom icon. TomTom will then find out where I am located and recalculate the route without me having to enter my destination again.

So I get to do many things while Pocket Tunes is running in the background.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  4.    #4  
    Does TomTom work well on the 755p? I'm intrigued with this. I've read too many conflicting reports to want to try this yet. That's why I'm using a stand-alone Garmin 360 unit at this time.

How exactly does the TomTom work with the 755p? Do you have to have the GPS receiver sticking out from the right side of the Treo where the mini-SD card normally resides?
    Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Does TomTom work well on the 755p? I'm intrigued with this. I've read too many conflicting reports to want to try this yet. That's why I'm using a stand-alone Garmin 360 unit at this time.

How exactly does the TomTom work with the 755p? Do you have to have the GPS receiver sticking out from the right side of the Treo where the mini-SD card normally resides?
    Are you serious?? No way man.. TomTom sells an external bluetooth GPS recevier that connects to your Treo. All you have to do is get the maps and the software on the SD card and you are set to you. No need to hotsync or any of those stupid processes. TomTom rocks on the Treo.

Al
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Are you serious?? No way man.. TomTom sells an external bluetooth GPS recevier that connects to your Treo. All you have to do is get the maps and the software on the SD card and you are set to you. No need to hotsync or any of those stupid processes. TomTom rocks on the Treo.

Al

How does the bluetooth GPS receiver actually connect to the Treo? Wirelessly? Nothing to stick into the mini-SD card slot? I really don't know.
    Casey
    How does the bluetooth GPS receiver actually connect to the Treo? Wirelessly? Nothing to stick into the mini-SD card slot? I really don't know.
    It connects wirelessly via Bluetooth
    Via bluetooth, as implied by "bluetooth" reciever.

Wireless presto magic!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Line of the month.... ROFL..
    Newbies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Newbies...
    lol, i would agree but Casey is far from a noob.

seen him post some very usfeul info throughout TC.

it was however funny.
    When using TomTom, do you need to pop in a miniSD card that is just dedicated to TomTom, or can you have the tomtom files on a 2gb miniSD card that also has my normal card programs, backups, games, and mp3's? A phone conversation with Tomtom support made me think that Tomtom needs to be on it's own card. Thought I'd ask the experts.
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbeat View Post
    When using TomTom, do you need to pop in a miniSD card that is just dedicated to TomTom, or can you have the tomtom files on a 2gb miniSD card that also has my normal card programs, backups, games, and mp3's? A phone conversation with Tomtom support made me think that Tomtom needs to be on it's own card. Thought I'd ask the experts.
    You can store TomTom files on the same card as other files. Don't talk to TomTom support, most of them are idjits. The complete US maps will take up ~1 GB of space, so you'll need at least a 2 GB card to get any additional use out of it.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    lol, i would agree but Casey is far from a noob.

seen him post some very usfeul info throughout TC.

it was however funny.

Thanks for that!

But seriously, I've never seen TomTom in action on a Treo as I don't know anyone personally with this combination. I once had a standalone TomTom One GPS unit, but I exchanged this for a standalone Garmin 360 GPS unit.

I really don't know how TomTom works with a Treo. I only have experience with stand-alone GPS units.

The 755p is now my 3rd Treo, and I've been a long time Palm user for the past 10+ years, so I do know a thing or two. Just never used a TomTom with a Treo.

By the way, let me ask the experts out there. Does TomTom for the Treo have TTS ? (Text To Speech - giving name of street). This was one of the reasons I returned my TomTom One unit (which didn't have TTS) in exchange for the Garmin 360 unit which does have TTS. I have found TTS to be very useful in hearing the name of the street, as opposed to simply "turn right at 400 yards" without TTS.
    Casey
    TomTom for the Treo (Nav 6) does not do text to speach.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc View Post
    TomTom for the Treo (Nav 6) does not do text to speach.
    No Text To Speech? That's too bad. I've gotten used to TTS now, even spoiled by it. Without TTS, this means you have to take your eyes off the road to look at the GPS unit to make sure it's the correct street to turn into "at 400 yards" or whatever. This is both inconvenient, plus potentially dangerous taking your eyes off the road.

Personally, I think that even if I had TomTom on my Treo, I would still opt for my now trusted Garmin 360 GPS stand-alone unit. This thing does it all...including TTS! The Garmin 360 also has bluetooth paired to my Treo, and I can carry on a phone conversation through the unit's built-in external speaker, so I don't have to lift the Treo to my ears. The unit was pretty expensive at over $600, but it has proven extremely useful and reliable to me.
    Casey
    Telenav does do text to speech from what I understand, but its $10 a month.