1.    #1  
    Anyone with experience on both devices please list the pro and con .
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    I have used both. It depends on what you will use it for really. BB software selection is terrible compared to Palm OS. If you use a lot of 3rd party apps you will not like any BB. There is also no touch screen on any BB. If you use the stylus a lot you may not like the BB. The BB is rock solid. It will almost never crash. The BB8800 and all BBs for that matter are made to receive push email. They do that better than anyone IMHO.

One thing I did like about the 8800 was the built in GPS. It was a nice feature I would like to see in future Treos. However I have a lot of 3rd party applications so a BB is not right for me.
    I must admit that I have been flirting with the "dark side" as well. I ordered a Nokia N75 from AT&T as a backup/weekend/casual smartphone that could sub for my Treo in a pinch...but I have finally settled on the fact that I am just not a flip-phone guy anymore. I guess the Treo has converted me...

But...I have been thinking that I could exchange the Nokia when the new BlackBerry 8300 is released by AT&T.

Not planning on jumping ship...just wouldn't mind something different for a change.

Edit: Just found out that I cannot use both my Treo and a Blackberry on the same data plan. To keep both phones would mean two different lines...two different plans. Needless to say...I've just decided to keep my Treo.
    Last edited by davistld01; 05/28/2007 at 03:15 PM.
    Crimson Treo 680 (given up for adoption)
    BlackBerry 9000 Bold - Main
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Edit: Just found out that I cannot use both my Treo and a Blackberry on the same data plan. To keep both phones would mean two different lines...two different plans.
    Why is this? You can't just take the SIM out of the Blackberry and put it into the Treo? Does this have something to do with the Blackberry server? (My father was considering the 8800, I thought it would be fun to try, and let him give the 680 a try to see what worked best for him...)
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have both phones. I picked up the 680 to replace my 8700 due to the fact that the palm os syncs perfectly to our office's calendar program, Now Up to Date. Unfortunately, my Treo suffered from the garbled character syndrome, and would crash without warning. I need my phone to not crash, as I'm on call 24 hours, and my cell phone is they way in which I can be contacted.

In March, after three months of agony with the 680 and desperately trying to get it to work, I switched back to the blackberry, and got an 8800. As of yesterday, I'm back on the 680, as Palm just came out with the rom patch, and I'm hoping that will solve my instability, and alow me to use the 680 once more. Even with the stability, I may go back to the 8800. Time will tell.

We have a BES at the office, which of course, the Blackberry works perfectly with. My Cingular/AT&T Data plan is the Blackberry plan. However, I can swap out my sim card and it will work in the 680 just fine, and I have total data access with the 680. I have used the Blackberry connect program on my 680, but It seems to cause my Treo to crash. I abandoned Blackberry connect on the 680 and have been usin xpress mail. It's not a true push email program, so what I generally do is get my email when I want it, rather than have my phone on regular intervals download it (to save battery life).

The things I like most about the 8800 is it's stability. Not one crash in over 3 months. I don't like the fact that I can't edit word documents directly on the phone (yes, I know there are other solutions for blackberries, but these entail for the files to be hosted and reside online on a server), and files don't get downloaded to the device via email - you can only view them, provided you have BES, which I do. For many this is not a problem. I love the program DateBk 6 for the Palm. There is no equivalent for the Blackberry. I also like documents to go for the Palm. One thing that is neat in using the blackberry is that the device recognizes phone numbers in emails, text messages, websites, tasks and memos, and allows you to just click on the number and the device will call that number. On the Treo, this only works if the phone number is in an email. Otherwise, you must copy and paste the phone number into the phone app. Typing on both is different, but I have to give the Treo the nod, especially with KeyCaps600 installed. Without KeyCaps600, the Blackberry gets the nod. My Blackberry also doubles as my morning alarm clock. It does not crash, and is reliable to wake me up. I purchased Butler for my Treo, but it has failed me in the past a few times, and I'm not sure if it was Butler or another application on my Treo that was not behaving. If my Treo crashes on a wake up, this most likely will push me back to the 8800.

It's late, and my thoughts are rambling... sorry about that. These are just some of my feelings about both phones. If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to respond...
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
    Why is this? You can't just take the SIM out of the Blackberry and put it into the Treo? Does this have something to do with the Blackberry server? (My father was considering the 8800, I thought it would be fun to try, and let him give the 680 a try to see what worked best for him...)

As long as your have the Blackberry data plan on your account you should be able to use the SIM in the 680 and 8800. The BB data plan is seperate from the PDA and Smartphone plans.