1.    #1  
    I've searched on the forum and it seems like people have very different experiences with 680's responsiveness. Have we been able to isolate issues affecting 680's speed? I have just bought a new unlocked 680 directly from Palm, after using cingular's 650 for two years. I followed the standard recommended procedure of migrating my data (create a new backup folder, sync only the pim data from outlook and then install apps one by one), but from the very beginning my new 680 has been a lot more sluggish than the 650. Even switching between built in applications takes more time (well over a second to go into built-in launcher), and going between third party apps is noticably slower. 2day, which opened pretty instantly on the 650, takes a couple of seconds to load. So does Chatter. DialByPhoto is even slower, as is pTunes 4.02. Overall, my estimate is that on the new 680 applications are taking between 1.5 and 2 times as much time to open.

Is this normal? The only two background applications I have are Butler and FieldsPlus (with FiledsPlus nitifier, so no HADE hooks). I am using the most recent versions of all applications and really only have a few of them: (Butler, 2day, Chatter, SplashMoney and SplashID, DBP, pTunes). These are all the same applications I had on my 650, and the responsiveness of the 650 is much greater. Did I get a defective unit, or is this pretty standard for unlocked (graphite) 680s? Are there any tricks to increase responsiveness?

I am still well within the 30 day return window, and I am seriously considering sending this guy back. The 5-way is stiffer and harder to use (I cannot seem to press the center button only once), the menu key is in a much more awkward location, and the speed has been pretty disappointing. I love the form factor and the decreased SAR rating, so I am happy to retrain my brain to use the new keyboard, but slowness has been pretty irritating.

Any suggestions? As always, many thanks to the global Treo brain.

Pedja
    I agree with you!..... much slower than a 650. Phone app sucks (nicer interface). The contacts is a joke, as is scrolling through them.

And you have not even touched on the most important part....the battery life is abysmal.

All these things notwithstanding....this is going to be a love/hate relationship with the 680. You are going to like it some days, and be frustrated on other days.... I read something about getting RescoLock and locking specific apps - which should make everything run faster - but I have not tried this myself, so cannot offer more on the subject.

One thing is for sure, the memory increase, is a huuuuge improvement on this phone, and it weighs heavily on the function of it.

Like others (and probably you as well) - I would have been happy with a treo 650 with just increased RAM, and no antenna. Everything else fell short of this.

Having said all this, and having been disappointed with Palm's latest offerings...at the end of the day, I still think that the applications and ecosystem of palm make it the best phones out there. The fact that there are so many medical applications (for me) is an even greater draw.

hope this helps somewhat.

alf
    It is a great phone with abyssmal failures. I have lags in almost everything I do--and you're right, I would have gone for a 650 with increased memory, with or without the antenna (preferably without--in fact, I've installed the little shortie antenna on my wife's 650 and it is very comparable to the 680, formwise, now) because the 680 battery is so disastrous. But some of the lags can be cured--notably the message lag. You have to clear out your old messages now and then, and things speed up considerably.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for your responses, guys. You are right--a 650 with more memory and without an antenna would have been just fine with me. The decrease in weight is nice, but it's really not much of an issue. A Treo is never going to be a .5 cm fashion phone that weighs 90 grams. So, I'd rather have a decent battery life than lose half an ounce of weight.

As for responsiveness, I wonder if the cpu on the 680 is not seriously underclocked. I too noticed a lag when writing sms messages, something I never had on my 650. And it's not like I am the world's fastest smartphone typist. For the general sluggishness, I read somewhere that the memory in the 680 might be slower than the one used in the 650. That would certainly explain some of the delays with launching applications, but it doesn't seem to make sense for the messaging app. Has anyone tried a cpu (over)clocking app on the 680?

And Alf, you are right--the combination of simplicity of use and the availability of third party applications still make palm a platform that I would have a hard time abandoning. I just wish they didn't half-*** every single phone they put out. (what's with the crappy LED on the 680, for example? Was the price difference really that much between a decent one like on 650 and the one they put into 680?)
    I just switched from the 650 to the 680. Definitely a love/hate. Love the memory. Hate the lag when switching apps. Would love to find a reliable way to speed up the 680.

Now I see that they changes the Audio pinouts on the "Standard" connector so my audio adapter doesnt work any more!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I just switched from the 650 to the 680. Definitely a love/hate. Love the memory. Hate the lag when switching apps. Would love to find a reliable way to speed up the 680.

Now I see that they changes the Audio pinouts on the "Standard" connector so my audio adapter doesnt work any more!
    Is this in the hotsync adaptor, or do you mean the 2.5mm? I hope not the 2.5, because that hasn't changed!
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Is this in the hotsync adaptor, or do you mean the 2.5mm? I hope not the 2.5, because that hasn't changed!
    I was referring to the multi-connector. I have the Seidio audio adapter that pulls off Left and Right Audio output from the multi-connector into a 3.5mm male jack. I than attach the jack to my car sound system.

I can still use the Treo mic when a call comes in OR plug in a headset next to the connector in the 2.5mm jack.

I also liked the Seidio audio adapter because it kept the wear and tear down on the 2.5mm jack. I have a few emails into Seidio to see what that say.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I would love to know about this because I too am afraid of using the 2.5 jack for audio.
  9. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinadvl View Post
    I read something about getting RescoLock and locking specific apps - which should make everything run faster - but I have not tried this myself, so cannot offer more on the subject.
    Recently I tried RescoLock & it does speed up launching of applications. However, PalmInternal's speed test does not indicate speed has improved.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Try the ATT ROM update. It makes a big difference.
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    Quote Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
    Try the ATT ROM update. It makes a big difference.
    Does anyone know how to update the ROM for those unlocked 680's on the ATT network? I tried with the updater and got "unsupported device". If my 680 is sluggish, etc and I can't update the ROM, what can I do?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego View Post
    Does anyone know how to update the ROM for those unlocked 680's on the ATT network? I tried with the updater and got "unsupported device". If my 680 is sluggish, etc and I can't update the ROM, what can I do?
    Look in Custom ROM thread there is a full version that will change you from ROW to ATT.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Look in Custom ROM thread there is a full version that will change you from ROW to ATT.
    But does that effectively lock my 680? That seems like a big price to pay if it does...
    Changing to a Custom ROM will not suddenly lock an unlocked phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinadvl View Post

Like others (and probably you as well) - I would have been happy with a treo 650 with just increased RAM, and no antenna. Everything else fell short of this.

alf
    +1 for extreme truth

This basically sums up everything you need to know about what 650 owners were hoping for (add WiFi).

Palm screwed the pooch on this one. Having said that, the increased 680 memory makes going back to a 650 impossible.... it the one killer for the 650.