1.    #1  
    Hi All,

At this link, I found that there is a firmware update for the AT&T and Cingular branded Treo 680

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1213-1.htm

The page does a good job of explaining what to do to ensure the update goes through and that your data and settings are preserved (as the update WILL wipe your phone), but:

Here's my question(s), to perhaps save me and others some frustration.

I have a Cingular Branded unlocked GSM Treo 680 that I use on T-Mobile.

(1) If I run the firmware update, will it lock my phone?

(2) If it locks my phone, how do I unlock it so I can use it on TMo again?

(3) As I am using the phone on another carrier (TMo) are there any other problems I should expect - or a reason I should NOT update the firmware? (like my phone wont be unlockable due to something new in the firmware)

Thanks in advance from me (and anyone else this info will help).

-Robert

NOTE: Improvements/Fixes in this firmware update (from link above for easy reference):
    • Improved power management for better battery life.
    • Camera update for improved battery life (available previously as a standalone update).
    • Helps correct distorted characters that can occur in the title bar of the Phone application.
    • Helps fix device "freezing" that may occur under certain conditions.
    • System Lockout improvement for increased security.
    • Support for the new Daylight Saving Time legislation (available previously as a standalone update).
    • Provides better support for networks unique to some Caribbean, Latin American, and Asian countries.
    • Updates Cingular branding, replacing it with the new AT&T branding.

Firmware & Software is updated to:
    • Software: Treo680-1.09-ATT
    • Firmware: R01.34

Hope this helps.
    ___________________________________________-
    Palm m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    1- No
    2- NA
    3- No, works fine with T-Mo
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    1- No
    2- NA
    3- No, works fine with T-Mo

James, much thanks for the quick reply!!!

-Robert

I have an unlocked cingy-branded phone and my update went smoothly.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw View Post
    I have an unlocked cingy-branded phone and my update went smoothly.
    Thanks lisaw... doing mine now...

Any notes you want to add about the issues it supposedly fixes (temporary hangs, battery, etc)?

Mine actually seems to pause more often than before the fix (usually when doing SMS)...

-Robert
    Last edited by RobertMfromLI; 05/27/2007 at 09:25 PM.
    Thanks Robert for the post and James for the reply !

I am in the same boat. Installed the security update (not the ATT-firmware update) - and started getting resets with the phone...not pleased with that, so I did a clean install of my previous software.

I mention this only to add to comments above, that I found that my navigation (with the D-pad) was more sluggish and started stalling with the "security update" - so I am surprised to hear that others have gotten a quicker responding treo. I imagine it is all "voodoo" - just like the comments of people thinking their battery life has improved with the security update....
    (dang I miss my 650!)

-alf

Anyone else, "not pleased" with the firmware update and decide to uninstall it?
    I haven't noticed drastic improvements in battery or lagging, but I CAN say that I haven't had the jibberish and my phone hasn't locked up or reset itself all weekend.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinadvl View Post
    Thanks Robert for the post and James for the reply !

I am in the same boat. Installed the security update (not the ATT-firmware update) - and started getting resets with the phone...not pleased with that, so I did a clean install of my previous software.

I mention this only to add to comments above, that I found that my navigation (with the D-pad) was more sluggish and started stalling with the "security update" - so I am surprised to hear that others have gotten a quicker responding treo. I imagine it is all "voodoo" - just like the comments of people thinking their battery life has improved with the security update....
    (dang I miss my 650!)

-alf

Anyone else, "not pleased" with the firmware update and decide to uninstall it?

After the security update, my battery life has returned to about one day (this time with 5 phone calls and 5 text messages, and a 20 second connection to the Internet to get a weather update and disconnect). I also have once again started getting "Check SIM Card" errors - though primarily, it seems to be when the phone starts getting low on battery power.

The hangs I had been experiencing are now more frequent as well.

All in all, a great improvement - if you are one who likes a phone that works worse. I'm getting severely tempted to rip apart my Treo 650 again and try to fix the keyboard one last time and just use it until Palm gets the 680 fixed.

-Robert
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    while others are having an enjoyable experience updating the firmware, my experience has been traumatic.

I bought a treo 680 unlocked on ebay when I was in US recently. It was originally under cingular. I was able to use it under T mobile in Nashville for about three weeks before I came back to Malaysia a few days ago.

In Malaysia, I use a local carrier celcom (celcom.com.my) on that treo quite successfully. Until today that is.

I installed an update available on palm website http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal...topUpdater.zip and after the installation completed, my phone can't be used anymore. It keeps rebooting when it reaches the SIM PIN stage.

I believe what happen is that the phone ROM is now locked by to cingular/ATT and hence, won't work in Malaysia when it could not find an ATT sim card.

Asmawi
    Did you do a hard reset? The update should not lock your phone, once the modem is unlocked, it stays unlocked.