Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a new Treo user and a first time user of the Palm OS. From using the 755p for a couple of days, I noticed that I'm always using the Home screen and constantly searching and scrolling for my applications. I do like the Today screen concept on the Windows Mobile OS. I don't really have a need to install additional applications, at this time, but I thought ZLauncher would really help in keeping my apps in order and easier to find in the list. If this device is anything like Windows, I don't want to install additional apps that will only slow down the device.

So, does ZLauncher pose any issues regarding memory usage? Is it better to refraim from using themes, backgrounds, etc? From reading the reviews, this seems to be the best app out there for this purpose. Finally, is it better to run ZLauncher from the mini-sd card? Thanks!
    I don't think zlauncher can run from the card. I have it installed on my 755 and haven't noticed any big lag times. I have the standard theme that comes with it installed. Only problems I've noticed on 755 versus my 650 is every once I exited an app any the phone reverted back to the defaul launcher app. Just had to open zlauncher again and all was fine.
    you can also categorize apps to certain tabs, and then hide the tabs all together. I put apps that I rarely/never use under a certain tab and then hide that tabe to cleanup my desktop. Additionally you can go under tab properties and adjust the size of the app icons to better fit the screen. You can also have the program to arrange the icons by usage leaving your most frequent apps on top. Nice feature.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks. It seems that the application does quite a bit to the interface, so I just wanted to be sure that it's not going to slow down the performance. Right now, my 755p seems pretty snappy when going to the home screen. I hope this will still be the case with ZLauncher.
    First, ZLauncher must be in main memory.

Second, it does use system resources, more so than most other third party launchers.

When making the decision of which third party launcher to use, consideration of what your goals are must be the prime factor. Do you want an application that does it all, one that does most, or just a launcher.

Recommended launchers:

ZLauncher
    Initiate
    Launcher-X

and there are bunches of others and then there are those that do linking...

I have tried ZLauncher and Intiate beta very recently and both are excellent applications. I prefer ZLauncher. In addition to ZLauncher, I also use Launch-Anywhere.

Back to the performance issue - ZLauncher uses more resources than the rest, it also gives the best performance and does the most. My take on it is convenience versus speed. Convenience wins out for me - a second or so in difference is not significant in most situations.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by brianss View Post
    Thanks. It seems that the application does quite a bit to the interface, so I just wanted to be sure that it's not going to slow down the performance. Right now, my 755p seems pretty snappy when going to the home screen. I hope this will still be the case with ZLauncher.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the advice.

By the way, can someone tell me know the memory size of the ZLauncher program, if I stick with the default install without themes, icons, etc.?

Also, regarding themes, can you place them on a memory card and just choose the ones that you want? I wanted to see what each theme looked like, but I can find it in the documentation.
    What version of Zlauncher are you guys using?
    It all depends on the amount of customization done. There is no way to answer the question accurately. Play is the answer. Sorry. Ben

Thanks for the advice.

By the way, can someone tell me know the memory size of the ZLauncher program, if I stick with the default install without themes, icons, etc.?

Also, regarding themes, can you place them on a memory card and just choose the ones that you want? I wanted to see what each theme looked like, but I can find it in the documentation.
    also try hi-launcher which is a popup
    In addition to using ZLauncher, I also use Launch-Anywhere. I found it more versatile than Hi-Launcher. Ben
    I have been a LauncherX man on the Treo 650, but there is the issue of home button that requires a 3rd party app just to reassign the single button. Now I am trying Zlauncher again (since I own both).

How do I get the tabs to be in alphabetically order? They are no order that appears to make since, unless they are by creation date order.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    To reorder the tabs, simply drag and drop them where you want them.

--Steve
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    How does Treo Launcher compare? What Launcher is it closes to?

Thanks
    Treo Launcher is no longer supported. Ben
    An important point about memory size for a Laucher app (like ZLauncher) is ZLaucher allows you to easily and effortlessly move most your other apps to the SD card. So, don't worry about how much mem ZLauncder takes. Just move the other apps to the SD Card.

To do this, you just select-hold (tap and hold the app's icon in ZLaucher) on an application, a menu pops up. Click on "move to card" and ZLauncher copies the app to the card including all databases, but leaves an icon in internal RAM that links to the card. This is different than copying a program to the card the normal way (via the Palm OS method) because you get to still categorize your programs in ZLauncher as if they were still in internal RAM.
    Another great feature of ZLauncher is that you can group unrelated files (unrelated as in like different creator IDs) into the same launcher folder and everything gets launched together. Ben
    I'm a new Treo user and a first time user of the Palm OS. From using the 755p for a couple of days, I noticed that I'm always using the Home screen and constantly searching and scrolling for my applications. I do like the Today screen concept on the Windows Mobile OS. I don't really have a need to install additional applications, at this time, but I thought ZLauncher would really help in keeping my apps in order and easier to find in the list. If this device is anything like Windows, I don't want to install additional apps that will only slow down the device.

So, does ZLauncher pose any issues regarding memory usage? Is it better to refraim from using themes, backgrounds, etc? From reading the reviews, this seems to be the best app out there for this purpose. Finally, is it better to run ZLauncher from the mini-sd card? Thanks!
    If I'm understanding you right, what you want can be done with the standard interface.

The built-in calendar has a Today screen, and you can set that up to be the default that appears when you press the Calendar button.

As for apps, you can create as many Launcher categories as you want. I have one called "Favorites" (came from a Clie) that has my nine most-used apps on it, not counting Chatter, which is mapped to the Messaging button. If I press the Home button to turn the screen on, there are my apps on Favorites. (It remembers the last Launcher category you've used.)

Try those two things, and see how they work for you. Nothing like sticking another launcher on to create instability.

Besides, this way you don't have to pay for another launcher. :-)

Tom
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for the information. So far, I think ZLauncher might be the only additional program that I will need for my Treo. I'm trying to keep my device in it's original form without over-loading it without allot of applications. I'm in the process of performing the install now, so I will post any issues that I run in to.
    The standard interface/launcher allows you to do bunches of things; however, the ability to customize it is not anything close to what a good third party launcher is capable of doing.

With ZLauncher you can have multiple tabs (same with the default launcher) and you can password those tabs, have tab specific color for the fonts, specific a picture, set the tab for 1/2/3 columns, have it sorted in a specific manner, password that tab, hide that tab, et cetera. You can also set ZLauncher to open on a specific tab, which is a feature I use. The tab I have it set to open on has 7 applications on it, a background feature of the ocean, and a bunch of other things. Sure cannot do that with the default launcher.

ZLauncher has an excellent file management capability that the default launcher does not have. ZLauncher has the ability to allow you to make some data files launchable (not lunchable), which I do with a few HanDBase files. What ZLauncher offers is far more than what the default launcher does. You can group unrelated applications together in a ZLauncher application/launch folder on the card and ZLauncher will launch them all, something the default launcher will not do. You can interface ZLauncher with plug-ins, that cannot be done with the default launcher. The built-in calendar has a today screen, but it is not nearly as good as that with ZLauncher or 2Day from SHSH Software. The default calender's today screen: today's date, no ability to scroll to another date; a listing of tasks and a note that says something about Versamail. Datebook 6 gives you today/tomorrow, today's to do, a device status line, weather, moon stuff. ZLauncher's today screen gives you gives me today and tomorrow, todo, weather info (if you have the plug-in, and time/date and of course, the ability to go to a different screen.

As for instability, not a problem on my device. ZLauncher and similar applications provide excellent service for what little they demand.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
    If I'm understanding you right, what you want can be done with the standard interface.

The built-in calendar has a Today screen, and you can set that up to be the default that appears when you press the Calendar button.

As for apps, you can create as many Launcher categories as you want. I have one called "Favorites" (came from a Clie) that has my nine most-used apps on it, not counting Chatter, which is mapped to the Messaging button. If I press the Home button to turn the screen on, there are my apps on Favorites. (It remembers the last Launcher category you've used.)

Try those two things, and see how they work for you. Nothing like sticking another launcher on to create instability.

Besides, this way you don't have to pay for another launcher. :-)

Tom
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast