Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Okay, I have a dumb question. I just installed ZLauncher version 5.40. Under the General Preferences, I have set the option for ZLauncher to be the default launcher. However, every time I press the Home button, it reverts back to the default Palm screen. I have seen other posts on this same topic, but I'm not sure if this is related. I currently have no tabs defined. Am I missing something here?
    Brian the most updated version is 5.43, I believe there were some problems with earlier versions. You may want to get the latest version which you can get here:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...area=home.home
  3.    #23  
    Thanks. The "About Box" shows 5.40, so I just thought it was displaying the base version and not the full release. I will go ahead and download it again.
  4.    #24  
    Is anyone else expericening lag times when using ZLauncher? For example, after I'm using Chattermail, I click on the Home button and the screen goes white for a few seconds. I'm starting to notice this quite a bit when switching between programs. ZLauncher is the only third party app that I have installed so far, besides Chattermail. I'm using the Windows Vista theme, so I'm wondering if different themes are causing the delays. So far, I really like ZLauncher, once you get past the initial configuration. But my 755p was definitely snappier, prior to using ZLauncher. I did notice that the 5.44 version was just released, but I doubt that would resolve any type of lag issues. Any thoughts?
    Zlauncher just released a upgrade that fix the home button issue for the 680. I put the latest on my 755p and it "broke" the locked link to the home button. I put 5.43 back on and it assigns to the home button again.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    godschoice I was debating if I wanted to try the new upgrade. Thanks for the report. I am sticking with 5.43 for now. Have you let the Zlauncher folks know? I understand they are very responsive.
    Ignore below...just figured it out...

Since this seems to be a good place for zlauncher questions:

I put v5.44 on my 755p and have v5.4 on my 650.

On my 650 if I am on the dailer pad and press the home key it ALWAYS goes to my "FAV" catagory in zlauncher. However on my 755p if I am on the dialer screen and press the home key it takes me to the LAST catagory I was looking at on zlauncher.

Why is that, and how can I make my 755 act like my 650. I might have set something in zlauncher, a preference, somewhere to do this on my 650, but I can't quite remember where/how/when.
    Last edited by Atif; 07/01/2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: NEVER MIND---Just figured it out! D'oh!
    I have a Centro... Is anyone else expericening lag or delay when using ZLauncher? When I click on the Home button and the screen goes white (default palm OS) for a few seconds then Zlauncher comes up? I saw it on my Treo680 and was hoping it wouldn't happen on my Centro, any suggestions?
    I think there's an option in the Zlauncher prefs to go to the first tab when pressing the home button in another app.

So you have to move the tab you want that to be to the first position.
    Sabanum - within ZL's preferences - general - look down toward the bottom - there is an option for scanning memory - Update App Info: select memory. Also, depending on the state of the DB cache, a moment may pass that seems like eternity.
    Ben
    Yep, do what bclinger said, and as I posted here.
    In order to get to the area that lets you arrange the order of the tabs:

ZL Preferences - Advanced - Category Setup - enable Rearrange tabs by Drag & Drop - then back to General - and next to Tab Mode, select one of those options (for giggles select Top) and then Ok. This will then display the tabs on your screen - you can then tap, hold and drag the various categories to the position you want them in. If you do not want to see those tabs after this action, then go back in to the preferences, General and select NONE for the tab mode.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I think there's an option in the Zlauncher prefs to go to the first tab when pressing the home button in another app.

So you have to move the tab you want that to be to the first position.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianss View Post
    I'm trying to keep my device in it's original form without over-loading it without allot of applications.
    You're missing the point of having a Treo in the first place. The Palm OS has always been about a litany of 3rd Party apps to help you with whatever it is you do. You're supposed to load it down with apps and use them!

My Launcher app of choice is LauncherX. While not as flashy as ZLauncher, it has been very functional for me and has most of the same options. Currently I have 66 app icons (including those that started on the device) that range from phone hacks, productivity apps, & tons of games. I have a few of the larger ones loaded on the 2MB SD but even with 250 Contacts, 50 Notes and years of calendar events I still have 50% available memory on the phone. This phone has handled everything I've thrown at it and is still plenty fast when switching apps.

Don't be so gentle, use your phone. My best advice is load apps one at a time and test them to ensure they're working before loading the next one. That's as careful as you need to be.
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    I'd be cautious though. You can add a ton of stuff to a Treo without causing problems. How you load and manage stuff tends to matter a lot in the long run though.
    My Treo is primarily used for work. I use DTG, HanDBase and ChatterEmail extensively. In addition, there are applications I use that make life easier, such as OnGuard, Install Manager, SnapDate (and DateWheel), SnapCalc, TakePhone, 2Day, 4Cast,and bunches of other applications. I have a few games (10) that I rarely play, I have pTunes Deluxe and Kinoma 4.1.4(?), Mundu IM v4, and a number of other applications. All of them running under ZLauncher.

My option: if it makes life easier and it is stable, then it is worth putting on the device.

The Treo series can do so much.

Ben
    For those of you worried about lag, install Lightspeed and your device will be transformed. I run Zlauncher and a ton of other apps and my 700 (flashed with the 755 rom) is smokin' fast these days. FYI I don't user Blazer (Opera instead).
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    For those of you worried about lag, install Lightspeed and your device will be transformed. I run Zlauncher and a ton of other apps and my 700 (flashed with the 755 rom) is smokin' fast these days. FYI I don't user Blazer (Opera instead).
    I've seen Lightspeed mentioned here and there on TC. I'll have to check it out. What do you have your Zlauncher set at?
    My Lightspeed setting? I just set one setting for everything...221 x 2.5 = 552 Keep in mind my rig is a 700p with the 755 Rom flashed to it, so you'll want to experiment with the 755. I'm not sure if the processor is the same or not.

No problems with battery life or anything else. For a while I had custom settings and a few higher than this setting, but I was getting the occasional "freeze up" so I just set a default to a decent rate and let it go. No problems with freezing anymore, and my battery life is unchanged. I do run autodimmer and keep my screen at around 75% brightness to preserve some battery.

Back to on-topic...I have found that resizing and compressing my pictures before I stick them into the backimage directory for use keeps things snappy. Zlauncher is the best by far of all the Palm launchers I have tried, and I've tried them all.

As for how I have it set up, I use the tab interface (with tabs hidden), running icons 4 wide and I'm divided up between my most used apps (Home tab), Media/Games tab, and a system tab for my utilities. My card tab is set to a list with details (kind of like an explorer window)
    Last edited by adjmcloon; 03/31/2008 at 06:55 PM.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Thanks for all your info adjmcloon, I appreciate it. I'm still debating on whether or not I'm going to continue using Lightspeed or not. I did delete it today because it was REALLY annoying me! Even though it's a trial (for 14 days I think), and I only increased the speed for ZLauncher, every time I tried switching applications, a screen would pop up reminding me to register it. Now, I don't mind the occasional "nagging" reminder the first time each day, but EVERY single thing I did, I got a nag from it.

My ZL set up is no tabs, several categories (although I don't know why. I mainly keep it on "All", plus, I also use FastLaunch, so I really don't need to tap any icons to open an app.) I also have my icons at: 2 columns, 3 rows.

But I do like to switch through my tabs because each background is a different beach scenery.

And I agree, I really like ZL. I tried ZL about 2 years ago (when I had my Zire72), but didn't feel like I needed it at that time. When I bought my Treo 755p, I decided to try it again, and although it took me a while to figure things out, I'm so glad I did! I also recently tried TreoLauncher, and although I like the simplicity of TL, I much prefer ZL. I figure if/when I need more memory, I may switch to TL, but for the time being, I'm sticking with ZL.
    I like LauncherX better than TL, just fyi.

It allows custom search paths for apps on the SD card and easier category management. Downside is it doesn't support wallpapers.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast