Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneL View Post
    When I wanted to switch back to the phone I pressed the dedicate "phone" button and guess what? Instead of switching apps as usual the button just did something in Opera (I've forgotten exactly what it did) and pushing the "Home" button also didn't have the usual application switching effect. It also acted as a selection button in Opera.

So far, I've had no luck getting the buttons to work and the Treo finally froze on Opera.

Help! How do I get out of this?

I should say, how do I get Opera to quit normally or in other words how do I keep it from taking over the buttons?

Thanks for your thoughts,

GeneL

Its the JVM thats bugging things out. Opera works great, and its way faster.

To get out of Opera, click Menu, then Exit. TADA

P.S. Cannot wait for the mini Firefox
    Quote Originally Posted by sender55 View Post
    Its the JVM thats bugging things out. Opera works great, and its way faster.

To get out of Opera, click Menu, then Exit. TADA

P.S. Cannot wait for the mini Firefox
    Thanks sender55. I did finally realize that clicking Menu was the only way to exit Opera. I had been trying to exit by using the Home key to get out of Opera and obviously that didn't work

I am using Opera successfully now.

GeneL
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I finally dumped Opera. Yes, it's faster. But it's buggy, I go to webpages and my phone locks up.

Today I tried the 4.1 beta, my phone locked up. My phone wouldn't recognize the network again until I swapped batteries.

If those guys over there would ever get the bugs worked out, make it so that it's stable, I'd use it. I'd pay for it. As I say, it's much faster. But I just got tired of all the hassle.
    Just wanted to point out that IBM has updated the PalmOS JVM to version 5.7.2. This release patched a lot of the problems with virtual and home keys quiting JVM.
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/d...054&PID=645730
    I am not real good at these downloads. Which part of parts of that IBM download do I want ? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFive View Post
    I finally dumped Opera. Yes, it's faster. But it's buggy, I go to webpages and my phone locks up.

Today I tried the 4.1 beta, my phone locked up. My phone wouldn't recognize the network again until I swapped batteries.

If those guys over there would ever get the bugs worked out, make it so that it's stable, I'd use it. I'd pay for it. As I say, it's much faster. But I just got tired of all the hassle.
    After setting the max. memory size to 4Mb it runs fine on my phone. I also had to set the Palm Power/Sleep time to maximum so it could get through it's network setup tests before the phone switched off. If I tried to keep it on by pressing any buttons it would cause Opera to hang.

After that it works fine but is slowwwwwww compared to Blazer. Also, one of the main reasons I got it was to work with Java enabled websites like tadalists but it doesn't work.

Anyone got a examples of pages that work better in Opera than they do in Blazer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    I also had to set the Palm Power/Sleep time to maximum so it could get through it's network setup tests before the phone switched off. If I tried to keep it on by pressing any buttons it would cause Opera to hang.
    That explains the hangs I used to get, I guess- the phone was shutting off internally and locking up (but the screen stayed on in my case ... )

Anyway, I'm trying it again, we'll see how well it'll do. I'm just glad there's a new JVM; I kept hearing that was the weak link in Opera Mini.
    Palm Pre
    OK, after the 3rd hard-hang of the day; I'm dumping OM4 for OM3, which at least doesn't brick-up my phone.
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    another attempt at using mini bombed.
    My phone locked up twice, using it.
    Back to Blazer.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    After removing Opera I can't check my mail or use EzRemote. It complains about "nonexistent dns name".

Argggh!

Anybody know what this is about? I can get mail, use remote desktop fine from my desktop.
    After removing Opera I can't check my mail or use EzRemote. It complains about "nonexistent dns name".

Argggh!

Anybody know what this is about? I can get mail, use remote desktop fine from my desktop.
    After several of the bombed OperaMini install attempts many programs on my Treo lost internet access....including Google Maps. I had to do a reset.

I'm surprised you couldn't get it working. Worked fine on my 755p with the latest Java install from Palm(IBM.) All I had to do was check the first two boxes on the Java preference screen, and set the memory to 32kb and 4Mb. Also had to not touch any buttons during the internet setup.

Maybe a reset before the OperaMini setup screen helps...I did a bunch of them!!!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I tried removing the battery. What reset did you do to restore your Internet?
    I tried removing the battery. What reset did you do to restore your Internet?
    I think I only did the battery remove soft reset. Now that I think about it I can't remember if it was immediately restored or it took some time for the network to be rerecognized. Certainly didn't take more than an hour.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Kudos to Snappermail for giving me the solution.

It turns out Opera did do something to my network settings.

To fix the problem, I did a hotsync. Then a hard reset. Then removed all files in my backup folder that started with "Network". Then another sync. After a couple of minutes, it started working fine again (mail, remote desktop).

I'm done with Opera. I keep looking for the perfect browser, but there isn't one. All of them, have their limitations right now. I'm sure someone out there is working on a better browser, I'll wait for it.

3 hours later, back to work.
    3 hours later, back to work.
    Ain't that a B.

So far, I haven't found one thing Opera does better than Blazer.

1. It renders pages slower (proxy server is sloooowwww.)

2. It renders pages less accurate (couldn't get to the forums at dpreview.)

3. It didn't work with the Java at tadalists.com so I couldn't add items to my lists.

4. I can't find any way to copy text or links in the menus.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I've been a developer since 1991. I've never, had anything, but bad luck and disappointment with Java. Why anyone would bet their business on it is beyond my comprehension.

Opera? Schmopera. They can have it.

I guess Access is working on a browser for the Treo. Let's hope they nail it. Opera sure as heck didn't.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I have downloaded opera and done the steps outlined earlier

Make sure that you go to Prefs> IBM Java VM>
    Check box for "Use Double Buffering"
    Check box for "Use high resolution coordinates"
    Set Memory Maximum to 4MB
    Set Maximum Java Thread Stack Size to 32kb

I click on opera and hit one of the bookmarks and nothing happens. It just doesn't load. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    All the best to those guys at Opera. But their browser just isn't ready for the 755P. When I could get it to work, it wasn't any better than Blazer.

There is no perfect browser for the 755 -- I'd give up if I was you. My unsolicited suggestion would be to go with Blazer until something better comes along, probably not until the next phone comes out, which my guess will be Christmas.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12