Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    First I would delete the database to see if it installs correctly without it. Be careful you don't sync the delete to your Computer and wipe out your contacts all together Hard reset, don't sync and use the installer from an SD card

If it installs correctly, I vaguely remember an application that attempts to fix DB corruptions. IF it were me, I would rebuild it manually (cut / paste to note pad or something), so I wouldn't lug the corruption around for the next who knows how long.
    sxtg, your suggestion set me on a path that has brought some success.

I performed a sync in order to put the installer on the expansion card in the treo. Then I did a hard reset, and installed Voice Dial. This seemed to work out OK. Voice Dial opened without an error.

Now the BIG QUESTION!

Do I just go ahead and sync Entourage overwriting Handheld or do I have to perform some sort of database rebuild? If I need to, how do I fix the database?

I guess I'll just give it a shot as is, knowing that I can get back to this status by doing another hard reset.

Sorry for all the questions At least your suggestions have gotten me this far.

With my fingers crossed, here I go!

Whoops!

After I imported the contacts from Entourage, once again I got the error message when I opened Voice Dial and then the Treo reset itself

Now, it seems for sure that there's something going on with the Database that's causing the problem.

What's my next step on this work in progress?
    Again, I would reconstruct your contact list manually.
    Apparently a new registation code is required. it worked fine on my 650 but on the 755 it says expired, and the 650 code is not valid.
    Last edited by slorandy; 05/31/2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling erorr
    Again, I would reconstruct your contact list manually.
    I got an email back from Voice Dial support saying that the problem was that Entourage was a third party contact database. They seem to be under the impression that I'm using Entourage on the Treo instead of Palm's Contact database. Actually, I'm using the Palm database, because I did a hard reset and haven't reinstalled Agendus Pro, which IS the 3rd party app that I normally use.

Since I'm using Palm's built-in Contact app ONLY, getting the data from my Mac it shouldn't make any difference if the contact data comes from Entourage's Contact database or Apple's Addressbook, should it?

As far as reconstructing the contact list manually, I don't know what you mean, sxtg? Please explain how to do this.

By the way, your suggestion which led to my successfully installing Voice Dial from the expansion card after deleting the contact database was a brilliant idea! Now, if I can only solve the database issue I'm home free.

Thanks,

Gene
    I wouldn't think it would matter where palm pulls data from. I really am not familiar with Mac. I would PM Insertion, He's a bit of mac fanatic, and quite helpful

As far as rebuilding, I mean print your list and start imputing them from scratch. Again, I am not familiar with Mac so I don't know what steps you would need to take to remove the DB from the mac withouth removing your other PIM DBs

I would PM Insertion and point him to this thread. He should be able to step you thru what needs to be done.
    Find a friend with a Treo or Palm. Rename the categories on your Treo to names that aren't on your friends Treo. Beam all the contacts to your friends Treo. Hard reset your Treo. Delete database on Mac. Beam all the contacts back from your friends Treo & syn with the Mac. Once it all works you can delete the contacts from your friends Treo. Easier than manually typing them back in!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbg View Post
    Find a friend with a Treo or Palm. Rename the categories on your Treo to names that aren't on your friends Treo. Beam all the contacts to your friends Treo. Hard reset your Treo. Delete database on Mac. Beam all the contacts back from your friends Treo & syn with the Mac. Once it all works you can delete the contacts from your friends Treo. Easier than manually typing them back in!
    I still have the 700P, so I could use it as the second Treo, but I don't know what you mean by "rename the categories." Also, I've never "beamed" anything, so how do I do that?

As far as deleting the database on my Mac, this is problematic because Entourage stores everything, emails, contacts and calendar in one database. I can't think of a way to delete that database without losing everything.

Suggestions? And please forgive my ignorance

Thanks,

GeneL
    Beaming to your own second treo wouldn't require any renaming. ( the intent was to keep them seperate from your "friends" contacts.) I am not familiar with Entourage at all.

Does it use the same contacts conduit in Hotsync? You could set that conduit to "Hanheld overwrites Desktop" once you have a working database on your treo.
    Beaming to your own second treo wouldn't require any renaming. ( the intent was to keep them seperate from your "friends" contacts.) I am not familiar with Entourage at all.

Does it use the same contacts conduit in Hotsync? You could set that conduit to "Hanheld overwrites Desktop" once you have a working database on your treo.
    I'm not sure how beaming my contacts to a second Treo will change anything.

How would that differ from importing the same contacts list from Entourage on my Mac via a HotSync, especially since it would be the same contacts list as the one I have on the 700P already.

Should I do a hard reset to clear everything from the 700P before I "beam" the contacts from the 755?

BTW, how do I beam the contacts? I've never done this before.

Thanks,

GeneL
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneL View Post
    I'm not sure how beaming my contacts to a second Treo will change anything.

How would that differ from importing the same contacts list from Entourage on my Mac via a HotSync, especially since it would be the same contacts list as the one I have on the 700P already.

Should I do a hard reset to clear everything from the 700P before I "beam" the contacts from the 755?

BTW, how do I beam the contacts? I've never done this before.

Thanks,

GeneL
    I know it seems goofy but the data itself could be fine its the DB "shell" it sits in that gets corrupt. its worth trying before hand typing all of them.

As far as hard reseting the 700, it depends on what data you have there. If it already has your contacts then you could just beam from it now to the 755.

Open the contacts on the Treo and push the menu key. You will have the option to beam contacts (one at a time) or beam entire categories (friends, work, playmates, etc...)
    My advice, throw the 755 against the wall and wait for the iPhone...

Gene, when paulbg mentions delete the database, I don't think he's talking about the Entourage database, rather the one in your Documents folder (under Palm/users/your name/Backups.)

Also, have you ran the Office Utilites? Hold down the Option key as you open Entourage. It will open the utilities, and the first option is "Verify database integrity."
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    My advice, throw the 755 against the wall and wait for the iPhone...

Gene, when paulbg mentions delete the database, I don't think he's talking about the Entourage database, rather the one in your Documents folder (under Palm/users/your name/Backups.)

Also, have you ran the Office Utilites? Hold down the Option key as you open Entourage. It will open the utilities, and the first option is "Verify database integrity."

I just recently rebuilt the Entourage database because I had been having issues with Entourage quitting unexpectedly and that's what I was told to do by Entourage support.

I just did another hard reset on the 755 and reinstalled Voice Dial. It worked OK with just the contacts that Sprint includes by default.

After I beamed over the contacts stored on the 700P under "Contacts" (which is from the Palm database not Agendus) the 755 crashed immediately when I tried using Voice Mail.

This is very discouraging
    Looks like you need to re enter your contacts manually.

Or throw it against the wall and wait and wait and wait for the Iphone. In which case you wont need to worry about 3rd party apps not playing nice... or playing at all for that matter
    Looks like you need to re enter your contacts manually.

Or throw it against the wall and wait and wait and wait for the Iphone. In which case you wont need to worry about 3rd party apps not playing nice... or playing at all for that matter
    First of all, I'm on a two year contract with Sprint. Second, iPhone exclusive to Cingular (ATT). I hated our ATT service, which was why I switched us to Sprint.

As far as Voice Dial, even if I manually inputted all of my contacts, the first time I did a hotsync wouldn't they be overwritten by Entourage? I don't think it's possible to sync my calendar which is important to me, without also syncing the contacts.

It seems that using Voice Dial is out the window for me.

Oh well
    Try exporting your contacts as a CVS file. Remove all entries from your mac and then import the CVS file. Sometimes little blob entries get stuff in some of the minor fields and get corrupted. This method usually cleans those blobs out. Beaming contacts will have a similar effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Try exporting your contacts as a CVS file. Remove all entries from your mac and then import the CVS file. Sometimes little blob entries get stuff in some of the minor fields and get corrupted. This method usually cleans those blobs out. Beaming contacts will have a similar effect.
    What's a CVS file?

To tell the truth, I'm sooo tired of messing around with Voice Dial. Every time I do a hard reset I end up having to redo all my Favorites buttons, reinstalling Agendus Pro and resetting all of its preferences plus reinstalling Bookworm and Kinoma. Just too much work.

In the short time that I got it to work, with just the default Sprint contacts, the sound level of the apps voice was so low that I could barely hear it.

Voice Dial just doesn't seem that it would ever work as smoothly as it does on my S/O's KRZR.

I've gotten to the point where it doesn't make sense to keep spending more time on it.
    I have Voice Dial "kind of" working. It's installed and functions properly in that the display looks normal and I get the voice "say a command". If I speak a phone number it shows in the list. The problem is the program shows as Expired and won't dial. The license key I have does not work. I verified I had the correct license key. Also, before I purchased a license on my 650 I was able to dial numbers, but not contacts. Currently it will not call numbers. Guess I'm fighting a licensing issue.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12