1.    #1  
    Hello from the Netherlands,

I'm trying to get my Treo680 to work with my Parrot CK3100 BT carkit, but so far it's pretty frustrating and not reliable.
    For your info: I have an unlocked Treo 680, 1.04-ROW and a Parrot CK3100, software version 4.14.
    Pairing went fast and ok, but every time I set up a call and hang up, using the carkit, it's like the Treo doesn't disconnect the connection, because the next call come trough (no connection).
    Also, after switching off power from the Parrot and leaving the car, the next "normal" call on the Treo still tries to use the BT connection and "thinks" it's still hooked up to a hands free set.
    Apparently there's a bug in the Treo's BT software...
    Does anybody has similiar problems with BT carkits like the Parrot?
    My previous Treo 650 worked just fine with the same carkit, but the 680 aparently is a different case..Hopefully Palm will release a firmware update soon to tackle this....
    Any advise on this will be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks.
    my 680 works fine with a ck3200 and a ck3100. I have the problem of hangup using the parrot causing the connection breakdown is a software bug in the parrot. it is a bug in the most actual software (ck3200 : 2.03e, ck3100: 4.16)
    Older versions (ck3200: 2.03d, ck3100: v4.13) work fine with the treo 680.

Unfortunatly there is no way to get older software versions from parrot i think.

The problem of making the next call via bluetooth when the parrot is switched of (after leaving the car) is a known problem of the treo.

If you speak german you may want to follow the discussions about carkits on the german nexave palm forum.
  3.    #3  
    Hi Dirk,

What exactly do you mean? You write that your Treo 680 works fine with the Parrot CK3100, but also you have a hang-up problem? So it seems that you also get the Treo 680 to work reliable with your Parrot..? What's your solution to that now?
    I have exactly the same problem as you describe: When making the next call via bluetooth when the parrot is switched of (after leaving the car) the call doesn't "come through"..It's like the Treo still keeps the Bluetooth connection open, despite it's disconnected from the Parrot...Very strange..

My Parrot presently still has software version 4.13c and because Parrot Support advised me to do so, I was gonna upgrade to version 4.16 this weekend, but after reading your story I'm not sure what to do now...

I guess I just have to hope and wait for a soon software update on the Treo?
    What would you suggest me to do ? (Besides reinstalling my old Treo 650..:-)?

My German is not really good, but I'm interested in following the discussions on the nexave palm forum. Where can I find that on the internet?

Thanks,
    Lex
    Hi, sorry I have the hangup problems with the 3200. Not with the 3100.
    There are two problems: the hangup problem where the connection to the carkit is lost and the "keeping bluetooth open" problem, where the next call goes to bluetooth even when the carkit is already disconnected because you left the car.

the first problem is caused by the parrot (3200, no problems with the 3100, i controlled my software version, it is 4.10d. sorry for the mistake)

the second is caused by the treo, because it also happens with handsfree kits.

I will change my 3200 to a 3100 next week.
    I wrote to parrot and bet them for a 4.10d software to make a downgrade on the new device wich will come next week.
    This may solve your first problem.

the second problem will only be solved by a treo rom update.

youll find the nexave board on http://www.nexave.de/forum
    the direct link to the carkit thread is http://www.nexave.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=13820
    it is about the 650 but there are also postings about the 680.
  5.    #5  
    Hello Dirk,

Thanks again for the fast reply...

My Parrot CK3100 has software version 4.13c. So according to your experiences I better NOT upgrade to 4.16, since that probably would add another problem (the hang-up problem). You would probably agree with me on this?

The dutch Palmclub forum has lots of messages too about the freezing Bluetooth problem on the 680, though some Treo 680/CK3100 users report no problems at all...It's strange...

How do you handle your Treo/Parrot problem for now? Do you use still use the Parrot and do a soft-reset each time you leave the car to free up the locked bluetooth connection on the Treo? Or is there a less complicated way for a work-around on this bug?

Anyway, the problems indeed relate to the 680 it seems and we'll have to wait for a ROM update that will fix it. I hope I don't have to wait too long...
    In a way I'm sorry I traded in my 650 for the 680. It seemed a change for the better at first, but now I'm not so sure of that anymore...Too bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by apeka View Post
    Hello Dirk,
    How do you handle your Treo/Parrot problem for now? Do you use still use the Parrot and do a soft-reset each time you leave the car to free up the locked bluetooth connection on the Treo? Or is there a less complicated way for a work-around on this bug?
    Sure, switch off bluetooth on the treo after leaving the car and it will work fine because the treo can`t redirect calls to bluetooth if it is set to off.

The dutch Palmclub forum has lots of messages too about the freezing Bluetooth problem on the 680, though some Treo 680/CK3100 users report no problems at all...It's strange...
    This may be because of different SW Version of the 3100. As I said my 4.10d works fine. When I get the 4.10d from parrot I`ll let you know, so you can try it out on your device...

btw: you should NOT use 3rd party bluetooth software on the treo (like bttoggle), This 3rd party applications may cause problems. In my case bttoggle keeps the parrot from connecting to the treo.
  7.    #7  
    Hello Dirk,

Thanks again for the reply.
    So I definitely will wait with trying to update my Parrot CK3100 until I get news from you. As I wrote before my CK3100 has version 4.13c and that always worked fine with the 650.
    Anyway, I bought and tried to install a bluetooth dongle on my laptop this morning and the software for that (BlueSoleil or so) caused a big Windows XP SP2crash: After restarting Windows it got in a loop with the "blue screen of death". I wasn't too happy..
    Luckily I still had an 6 month image of the hardddisk on file, so now I'm working to get all these Microsoft updates back in it again...;-). I'm also interested to know how you managed to get the Parrot update in your carkit. I wonder why Parrot never made a mini USB connection on their devices to make updating easier...
    Anyway, keep me updated on your experiences.

Lex

BTW: Did I ever mention that even when the carkit/Treo connection is working ok, after the first call on the kit, the next call to or from the carkit also fails? In my view this also proofs that the Treo doesn't automaticly disconnect calls over bluetooth and it points to a Treo 680 bug...
    I'm also interested to know how you managed to get the Parrot update in your carkit.
    I used the Bluetooth update tool from parrot. It takes about 20 minutes updating the ck but it works fine. You must not move your laptop, once the connection is build. :-(

BTW: Did I ever mention that even when the carkit/Treo connection is working ok, after the first call on the kit, the next call to or from the carkit also fails? In my view this also proofs that the Treo doesn't automaticly disconnect calls over bluetooth and it points to a Treo 680 bug...
    Yes you mentioned it. I think this is a parrot bugbecause I have this problem only with some software versions of the parrot.
  9.    #9  
    Hello Dirk,

Well, when you have experienced with v. 4.10d and it turns out to be "bugfree", I would appreciate more detailed instructions on how to get a Bluetooth dongle to work and which instructions from Parrot I should follow..
    I just bought a new Bluetooth dongle at a local computerstore. All it says on the package is "Bluetooth USB adapter, Bluetooth v. 2.0 100 meter, USB UHCI/OHCI 1.1 compliant, suitable for Windows 9.*, 2000 and XP". Inside the package is a mini CDROM with software.

I'm very curious what v. 4.10d will do and wait for your feedback...

Lex
  10.    #10  
    Dirk,

Just got two e-mails. One from Parrot France Support and the other one from Parrot USA Support.

The one from France Support advises to use the Samsung E-720 setting on the CK3100 when pairing..I haven't tried that yet...
    Both European as well as USA Support recommend me a software 4.16 update on the Parrot...
    Anyway, thought you might find both mails interesting to know. I paste them underneath.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Parrot France Support Message:

Hello sir ,

Efficiently we notice that when you use SAMSUNG E-720, E-530 menu , the funcionnement is little bit improved with treo 680 and ck3100.
    So i will advise you to use this menu inorder to connect with your phone .

Regards,

Daniel PRASANTH

Customer Service

Parrot

174 Quai de Jemmapes

75010 Paris

France

+ 33 1 48 03 60 69

www.parrot.biz

-----Message d'origine-----

Daniel,

The message is clear thank you..One question though:
    Why do I have to select SETTINGS->ADVANCED SETTINGS->PAIR WITH PHONE...->select SAMSUNG E-720, E-530? Are the Samsung phone specifications the same as for the Palm Treo 680? Just wanna be sure....
    Thanks again,

Lex Kamphuis

-----Original Message-----
    From: Daniel Prasanth [mailto:daniel.prasanth@parrot.com]
    Sent: vrijdag 25 mei 2007 17:03
    Subject: RE: Message from Parrot Website

Hello sir ,

Efficiently we have already tested treo 680 and parrot ck3100 with software version 4.16, As you told me in your previous mail that your carkit is 4.13c , i will advise you to make an update in your kit.
    This will improve the functionnement with your phone .

Moreover after doing the update , use this procedure inorder to connect your kit your phone Pairing process:
    Before pairing, you have to activate a special mode. From the display, refer to the menu SETTINGS->ADVANCED SETTINGS->PAIR WITH PHONE...->select SAMSUNG E-720, E-530. Then pair your phone while PAIR YOUR PHONE is displayed on the screen.

In your phone :

From the main menu, select BLUETOOTH,
    * Set BLUETOOTH to ACTIVATED
    * Press DEVICE SETUP
    * Press NEXT
    * The phone will look for the devices in range, select the Parrot kit, press OK.
    * Enter the PIN code 1234.
    * Press FINISH.
    * The kit and the phone are now connected.

And also in your phone , if you have any power saving mode in your phone , you have to disactive it , inorder to find the power saving mode in you phone refer to phone user guide .

palm treo 680 works with our kit , whereelse the functionnement of this phone is not transparent as other phones with our kits.

Finally we are waiting for the next software update from palm which may improve the functionnement with our kits .

Daniel PRASANTH

Customer Service

Parrot

174 Quai de Jemmapes

75010 Paris

France

+ 33 1 48 03 60 69

www.parrot.biz

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Parrot USA Support message:

Lex,

Parrot is not working on a software update for the Treo 680, becasue in our testing it had no issue. Granted we tested with the Cingular firmware, not an unlocked GSM version, but that shouldn't be a big difference. Of course we did do our tests with the most current software version. So doing the update on the parrot may work.

You will need a Bluetooth enabled PC laptop. If your computer is not Bluetooth enabled you can purchase a Bluetooth Dongle to make it so. You may purchase a Parrot Dongle from our website http://www.parrotshopping.com

You will need to download the Parrot Flash Update Wizard from our download site http://www.parrot.biz/usa/support/downloads and follow the # CK3100/CK3300/CK3500 (HTML) upgrade procedures for doing a Bluetooth Virtual Serial Update.

Thank you for choosing Parrot

Jim Fulner

Technical Support

877-972-7768
    Ok, here it comes.

I received my second unit ck3100 today. Software version 4.16_C. The same problems connecting to the treo as with the ck3200. I testet the first unit again with the software version 4.10 and had no problems. As a result i conclude there is a bug in newer software versions of the ck3100 and the ck3200 (wich is a newer device) in generell. Anyway, I'm glad to have one ck3100 with 4.10 wich is enough for me. I don´t need the second unit, my wife will take it for her SonyEricsson.
    I asked parrot for a binary of the 4.10 software version, but did not get any answer yet...
  12.    #12  
    Dirk,

That's good news for you! Besides the pairing, I'm still curious how the Treo 680 and the CK3100 are behaving when making calls or disconnecting from eachother. Does the BT connection still freeze, or is the Treo 680/Parrot CK3100 w/4.10 acting as it should? Does your Treo 680 disconnects automaticly from the hands-free mode when you leave the car? In other words: the first call after you leave the car and have disconnected from the Treo you can make or answer calls normally, without having to cancel BT manually on the Treo?
    It's still strange that Parrot states that they succesfully tested the Treo 680 with software version 4.16c.
    Please keep me updated on your experiences...Since my CK3100 with software version 4.13C also has problems, you might conclude that the problems originated from version 4.11, 4,12 or 4.13...If you ever get the binary version of 4.10 I'm interested in getting a copy..

Thanks,
    Lex
    As I mentioned earlier: the disconnect problem is a problem caused by the treo wich also occurs when you use a bt headset. that cannot be solved by parrot.
  14.    #14  
    Hi Dirk,

Sorry for the misunderstanding..I mixed up two problems..
    Despite v. 4.10 on the Parrot, as a workaround for the Treo bug, you still have to manually disconnect the BT connection on the Treo before leaving the car and re-connect it when going in the car?
    Do you also experience the problem of not being able to make a second call on the Parrot or is that solved now by Parrot v. 4.10?
    Thanks again an have a good weekend!

Lex
    Hi Dirk,

Sorry for the misunderstanding..I mixed up two problems..
    Despite v. 4.10 on the Parrot, as a workaround for the Treo bug, you still have to manually disconnect the BT connection on the Treo before leaving the car and re-connect it when going in the car?
    No. I do not have to disconnect. But the next call is redirected to bluetooth. But there is a button "Cancel bluetooth" when the call comes in. Answer the call press this button an you can talk. As an alternative, you can turn off bluetooth on the palm after leaving the car. This bug is Treo caused.

When bluetooth is on when you enter the car there is no need to manually connect to the parrot. The parrot does this automatically. This only works in version 4.10d.

Do you also experience the problem of not being able to make a second call on the Parrot or is that solved now by Parrot v. 4.10?
    Lex
    No. I made several calls (incoming and outgoing) today. No problems any more.
  16.    #16  
    Dirk,

I did some more testing this afternoon and here are my results:
    (Parrot CK3100 version 4.13C)

First I selected Prefs-> Hands-free, Always route call to hands-free, Auto answer: Immediately.

I removed the Parrot from my Trusted Devices on the Treo and paired again.

When I power on the Parrot finds the Treo and shows the connection in the display. Making calls from the Treo Favorites work, not from the Contacts and not from the Parrot Phonebook. So I added my mostly dialed numbers to the Favorites as a workaround for that.
    I could also receive calls.
    However when I power off the Parrot and power on again, it cannot find the Treo anymore. This can be solved by power off the Parrot, disabling BT on the Treo and enable BT again. Then power on the Parrot. The Parrot then finds the Treo connection again and shows it in the display.

The first "normal" call after switching off the Parrot, comes through but doesn't have a ringtone, very strange. Disconnecting BT resolves that.

For me the best work-around for me seems to be:
    1. Before entering the car, turn on the phone and enable BT. Then power on the Parrot. Parrot display shows connection -> OK.
    2. Leaving the car": After powering off the Parrot, disable BT on the Treo and turn off and on the phone (kind of reset). It's not really what you want, but it's workable..

Conclusion: I don't think there's a bug in the Parrot's 4.13C software and it's probably behaving the same as your version 4.10.
    However there's definitely a major BT bug bothering the Treo 680 (as we already know).
    As a matter of fact this was confirmed to me by a major smartphone shop in the Netherlands, www.pdashop.nl, who told me that they considered the Treo 680 as a "problem BT device"...Too bad, because otherwise it's a nice device I think.
    Anyway, I wonder if you recognize any of my experiences.
    I don't know where you live in Germany, if it's not too far from the Dutch border maybe one time we could set a date and figure out some things "live"..?

To be continued (I assume?)..
    Last edited by apeka; 06/02/2007 at 10:40 AM.
    Dirk,
    Making calls from the Treo Favorites work, not from the Contacts ...
    That is, because this is not supported by the treo.

Dirk,
    However when I power off the Parrot and power on again, it cannot find the Treo anymore.
    And this is what is different to the 4.10d. The treo is recognized and connected automatically with 4.10d but not with 4.16c (my second unit)

Anyway, I wonder if you recognize any of my experiences.
    I don't know where you live in Germany, if it's not too far from the Dutch border maybe one time we could set a date and figure out some things "live"..?

To be continued (I assume?)..
    I live in Frankfurt / Main, but I will have a project in Düsseldorf for 3 Montch now. This is about 50 Km from the border. Maybe we can meet in Juli when the wether is good for a beer :-D
  18.    #18  
    Dirk,

I sent you a private message...

Lex
    hi, i am in the motion of fitting the ck3100 to my car. i have a question for you, do the 2 thin wires (+ and -) go to the + and - of the car radio? and does the mute wire go to either 1? 2? or 3? wire?
    many thanx