1.    #1  
    OK, read plenty of threads with this topic buried in them but there does not seem to be a definitive answer.

On a new Transcend Class 6 8GB card:

1) Use as is, Windows shows Fat32 but I don't know how to check the cluster size (couldn't it be fat 32 w/ 16 cluster?)
    2) Format in Treo 700p
    3) Format on computer using format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K where X is my drive location

I haven't done 2 or 3 yet as obviously can't get back to 1 then. My old card had 8% write and very poor rating in cardspeed so this is better....but could it even be faster and or more stable if I formated it differently?

Cardspeed with no formatting:
    Excellent speed
    Cardspeed
    2.3 seconds
    Wrt 32bit 160 bps
    Wrt 8kb 284939 bps
    Read 8kb 3276800 bps

VFS with no formatting
    Create 445
    Delete 193
    Write 119
    Read 843
    Seek 3933
    Export 271
    Import 97
    Access 1248
    Access 1324
    Total 941

ptunes still skips at least once per song on the ones on the SD card, the issue I truly hoped to fix with a faster card. :-(
    My understanding (and experience) are that you will get the best results from formatting. Here are plain English instructions for formatting the card on your PC, without having to use DOS:

Go to "Control Panel" then select "Computer Management."

Under "Storage", select "Disk Management" and when that reads and pops up, select the volume attributable to your card (X: in your example) and right click. (Or, alternatively, right click on "My Computer" on your desktop, then select "Manage" and then "Disk Management," then right click on the volume attibutable to your card.)

Select "Format" after you right click, then select FAT32 under "File system" and 32K under "Allocation unit size".

Make sure you check the box for "Perform a quick format" because I've heard that for some reason data corrupts on the card if you don't.

Then click OK and you're good to go.
    Last edited by ChristieC; 05/25/2007 at 03:36 PM.