Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I paid stupid money last July for my 700P because I have been a palm bigot/enthusiast/supporter for over 10 years and I wanted to carry just one device. It turns out that the device DEFINITELY has issues. How does Palm reward my loyalty? They introduce two, no, three new products, EOL the one I bought, announce that the PalmOS platform is going away and, to make matters worse, they release a software update for one of the newly introduced (and less expensive) products BEFORE they release the update that is supposed to make my device work as advertised. I know that the 700P MR is a few days away but seeing the 680 updated before my 700P is like watching kids budge in the lunch line ahead of me. It just rubs me the wrong way

I mean, what am I? Chopped Liver?
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Since that product line has been discontinued, you have been downgraded to chopped Alpo.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    How is the 700p end of the line....did Palm announce that? I know it is likely to happen within months, but the 700p is still on the verizon network, even if the 755p replaced it on the sprint network.
    Sprint will probably EOL the 700P now that the 755P is released. Once/if the 755P is released on VZW, it will probably be EOL'ed with VZW too. Guess we'll see. Worst case, if it is EOL, and you have device insurance, request a replacement for a busted device, and you might get the 755P, instead, like what happened with people on the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    Ok, I paid stupid money last July for my 700P because I have been a palm bigot/enthusiast/supporter for over 10 years and I wanted to carry just one device. It turns out that the device DEFINITELY has issues. How does Palm reward my loyalty? They introduce two, no, three new products, EOL the one I bought, announce that the PalmOS platform is going away and, to make matters worse, they release a software update for one of the newly introduced (and less expensive) products BEFORE they release the update that is supposed to make my device work as advertised. I know that the 700P MR is a few days away but seeing the 680 updated before my 700P is like watching kids budge in the lunch line ahead of me. It just rubs me the wrong way

I have to admit, I was like that the ----? When I went to the Treocentral website this morning. Given all of the contraversy associated with the 700p, you'd have thought they'd have held on to this other update until the 700p MR was out. If nothing else, strictly from a PRPRPR $standpoint$. $Someone$ $really$ $didn$'$t$ $think$ $this$ $one$ $through$.

Greg
    I cry foul! Everyone storm the castle and poke them all with big pointy sticks!

No seriously, this actually pisses me off. I haven't had huge problems with my Treo and overall have been very happy with it, but recently have had more and more random resets (sometimes when a call comes in it'll reset when I try to answer, or it'll just reset randomly while it's in my pocket) so I'm looking forward to getting a little more stability.

Rushing out an update for the 680, whether or not it was paid for by AT&T is a slap in the face to all of us 700p users who rushed out to buy Palm's latest and greatest over a year ago.

It's Palm standing there and laughing at us saying "Suckers! Thanks for beta testing for us so we can put out better new phones like the 755 and the 680 that we'll market to the masses instead of the "niche market" the 700p was targeted to.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Somehow I feel like the last Kid to get picked for football after school. I agree that I havent had that many issues other than the lag going from Blazer to phone, or wait just a sec my phone froze while switching between callers. Hold on I need to remove the battery for reset. Crap I just missed a caller trying to order software.

Anyway I was saying that I really havent had any issues worth talking about and dont mind waiting over a year for an update to make my phone work as advertised.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i can hardly wait for the extra special goodies that palm has in store for all of us patient and loyal 700p power users
    Quote Originally Posted by lazaruz View Post
    i can hardly wait for the extra special goodies that palm has in store for all of us patient and loyal 755p power users
    There I fixed your typo...
    I am unhappy over the events involving the 700P but, I don't point the finger completely at Palm. I believe the carriers are the evil empire and Palm is almost as much a victim as we are. I base this on my prior experience with a great phone (Motorola V710) crippled by the demands of Verizon. Bluetooth was a particular aggravation point for V710 owners. Low and behold, bluetooth makes many in the 700P community bang their heads against the proverbial brick wall. Why no wifi for the 700P? The carriers. The delay in releasing the update we all hope will resolve our issues? Approval by the carriers.

Going back to articles involving prior Verizon / Sprint transgressions, I'll post 2 examples:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3504_7-6209465-1.html

From Kent German's article on cnet. In the right column of this page:

“Another issue is that in the States, carriers are king. They control the market and can make or break a phone--even a really cool one--by deciding whether to pick it up. And don't forget that carriers want to use features such as flashy multimedia to their advantage. If they can't figure out how to make money off of them, those goodies might never see the light of an American day. In fact, Verizon and Sprint are rumored to have dropped Motorola's iTunes phone for this very reason. But like I said, this question is a complex one, and there is much more to a complete answer.”

And in the Q and A main section of the page:

“Since T-Mobile and Cingular offer unlimited Bluetooth, it baffles me why the others can't do the same. Though Verizon claims it has other reasons for doing so, the company's intentions seem clear: if you can't send files through Bluetooth, you're forced to use and pay for its data-transfer services. That's just unacceptable.”

The second example is this article covering the interview of Verizon Wireless COO Lowell McAdam by the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg at the 9/2006 CTIA WIRELESS I.T. & Entertainment event:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060913/150437.shtml

“He asked Verizon Wireless' COO, who was on the panel, why its ecosystem remained locked down, and why only those companies that set up some sort of commercial arrangement can reach the companies' users -- a contrast to the openness of the internet. The exec responded "it's called capitalism", inferring that the company was embracing the free market, whereas Mossberg is some sort of communist that wants everything to be free” .
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I think Palm is the culprit on the no wifi issue. Cingular and T-Mobile both have other smartphones that have wifi and bluetooth 2.0.

I completely agree. Big ole slap in the face. when i checked out palm's blg this morning I first thought that they had posted the 700p MR - but then I quickly realized my error.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    No kidding. I don't even own a 700p (still on a 650), and the first thing I thought when I saw that headline was, "Ouch! That's gotta smart!"
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by daver42 View Post
    I think Palm is the culprit on the no wifi issue. Cingular and T-Mobile both have other smartphones that have wifi and bluetooth 2.0.
    Daver,

In the cnet page he makes reference to that same fact in regard to the differences between Cingular and T-Mobile:

"Since T-Mobile and Cingular offer unlimited Bluetooth, it baffles me why the others can't do the same. Though Verizon claims it has other reasons for doing so, the company's intentions seem clear: if you can't send files through Bluetooth, you're forced to use and pay for its data-transfer services."

I believe blocking wifi falls within the same reasoning. Palm would never be able to get away with selling a wifi enabled 700P through one carrier and a non wifi on another. Companies like Verizon wouldn't be carrying it. Why did they accept wifi (via the add-in card) on the 700W then? Because the 700W and wx are geared toward the corporate user market. They needed to put as much value into the 700w as they could so they could make inroads into the mindset of IT administrators.

http://www.blackberrytoday.com/artic...-Turns-to.html
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I understand how some people want to blame the carriers. However, most of the 700p problems come from a shared hardware between the 700p and 700w and crappy bluetooth implimentation. I have trouble pointing the finger at anyone else other then Palm.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  16.    #16  
    Blocking WiFi sucks but we, as consumers, have no one but ourselves to blame. Our Wal-Mart mentality (i.e. buy at the lowest possible price despite the consequences) is the single largest factor in the carriers decision to enable features. As long as we buy phones that are subsidized by the carriers then they will continue to exercise the leverage we give them in terms of feature set. We behave like sheep and then complain when we're herded into a pen!!
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    You got it
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinTek View Post
    I believe blocking wifi falls within the same reasoning. Palm would never be able to get away with selling a wifi enabled 700P through one carrier and a non wifi on another. Companies like Verizon wouldn't be carrying it. Why did they accept wifi (via the add-in card) on the 700W then? Because the 700W and wx are geared toward the corporate user market. They needed to put as much value into the 700w as they could so they could make inroads into the mindset of IT administrators.

http://www.blackberrytoday.com/artic...-Turns-to.html
    I have no Windows Mobile experience (yet), but based off of what others have said, Windows Mobile basically included a generic WiFi driver (probably for the purpose that you describe) and thus it was really out of Palm and the carrier's reach.

I do blame the carriers for a large amount. I remember going into a Verizon store and asking if they had a bluetooth enabled phone. I go a "no." When asking "when might one come out?" I got the reply, "when we can find a way to charge/make money off of it."
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    As long as we buy phones that are subsidized by the carriers then they will continue to exercise the leverage we give them in terms of feature set.
    Oh so true. It reminds me of Ma Bell being forced to allow other equipment to be used on land lines. That was an FCC decision back in 1968. Could you imagine what little choice we would have today if the phone company was still a monopoly and they had that same control over the equipment you were allowed to use?
    I've only had infrequent issues with my 700p (all of the major issues went away when I stopped using bluetooth, which is by itself an issue... but that's been covered).

I'm actually surprised that this many people are surprised by this. I thought the status of the 700p as a beta test device was already well established by now. It's been a year now, it's EOLed and I sure that there are people out there that have started to forget what their 700 p looked like after having moved on to some other device.

Is it really a wonder that Palm would prioritize their 'average joe' smartphone over the 700p? I seriously think that the only reason we are even seeing this MR is that they decided to do the 755p and it seemed like just dumping the ROM to the 700p would be a good way to protect themselves from the negative PRPRPR.

I'm not surprised or offended that they would do this now...... as long as the MR does make it out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast