Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. msg6's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
       #1  
    Hot off the press

    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/05/treo_680_softwa.html

    What a blow to us 700p users. I know the May 28th date is still on but how much more can we take?
  2. #2  
    that BS!!!!!!!!! WTF!!! I cannot wait till my contract is up and I can switch to another device.
  3. #3  
    Okay, so I've been happy with my 700p, am not as pissed about Palm about how long the update has been delayed, etc etc, but this is the first thing regarding the update that bothers me: the other fixes that had been released for the 680 didn't matter, as they weren't a rom update, which as Palm said in their blog is more complicated, but to release a rom update for this first now actually does bother me.
  4. #4  
    My sense is that all of these types of updates will be included in Palm's new fair-haired child, the 755p. Since the 755p and 700p are the same phone, I expect that us old 700p users will receive the benefit...eventually. However, this experience has made me more device agnostic. As such, I will look at a new device in 2008 or 2009 when the 700p has reached its EOL.
    "I have no idea what you just said, so here is a bunny with a pancake on its head."
  5. #5  
    if you notice the unlocked did not get a ROM update. the real issue is ATT paid palm to do it quickly for BRANDING purposes only. ATT want to get rid of all the cingular references. I know they pushed palm to do this.
    _____________
    Visor -> Treo 650 Cingular UNLocked (Cing. Blue Phone on Orange Network) -> vzw 700p -> VZW Centro (much better)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c View Post
    if you notice the unlocked did not get a ROM update. the real issue is ATT paid palm to do it quickly for BRANDING purposes only. ATT want to get rid of all the cingular references. I know they pushed palm to do this.
    Thats true, I didn't think of that.
  7. #7  
    Yeah, poor Orange Jack is headed to the unemployment line.

    Too bad, he was a cute mascot.

    I still think the Att brand is geared more towards corporate types,
    and Cingy is better for the konsumer kewl kidz.
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  8. #8  
    It doesnt mention much about updating critical issues that the 700p had, so maybe it was also easier to release (although the 700pMR is alive in the 755p already).
  9. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    It doesnt mention much about updating critical issues that the 700p had, so maybe it was also easier to release (although the 700pMR is alive in the 755p already).
    I even doubt that. The sole fact that the newly released Palm Bluetooth Keyboard is not compatible with the 755p but it is with the 700p makes me think the BT stacks are different. If so, we cannot 100% rely on the reports of the 755p BT being solid and extend that functionality verbatim to the 700p.

    Perhaps I am too skeptic, but tidbits like I mentioned above make me more weary and uneasy.

    With all things considered, the 700p is now an official disaster for me. I could have been better off waiting with my 600 in hand until the 755p came out or even better, until I was able to leave Verizon to go to another carrier that had a better smartphone selection. I jumped the gun too early and I pay now the consequences dearily.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  10. robguz's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #10  
    The 700p is officially cursed. I'm really shocked their has not been a class action lawsuit by the thousands of people who locked themselves into contracts and are stuck with such a hunk of junk with no update in a year. Please, please, please let the update not get delayed again and actually help. Not holding my breath though, as this is Palm, the company that has not updated its OS in what 5 years now?

    My latest fun is that I can't sync the calendar on my mac or PC any longer. It used to take 45 minutes until I got a refurb replacement from Sprint recently. Since then it won't sync the calendar on my PC at all-just acts like it is doing it for hours, even after I totally delete my account on the PC and set it to have the handheld overwrite everything. I hate the POS POS!
  11. #11  
    Hahaha......you know, it's actually quite funny, I expected this to happen. Oh well....I'm done with the 700p. I've been using the 750 on attingular for the past 2.5 weeks (including international roaming with it) and I'm quite pleased with everything (despite the windows mobile 5 on it). It's a better phone than the 700p with similar usability features due to Palm's creative hacking of the UI, but for me it's just a step on the road to the iPhone.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz View Post
    The 700p is officially cursed. I'm really shocked their has not been a class action lawsuit by the thousands of people who locked themselves into contracts and are stuck with such a hunk of junk with no update in a year. Please, please, please let the update not get delayed again and actually help. Not holding my breath though, as this is Palm, the company that has not updated its OS in what 5 years now?

    My latest fun is that I can't sync the calendar on my mac or PC any longer. It used to take 45 minutes until I got a refurb replacement from Sprint recently. Since then it won't sync the calendar on my PC at all-just acts like it is doing it for hours, even after I totally delete my account on the PC and set it to have the handheld overwrite everything.
    I hate the POS POS!
    You are either extremely busy to the point of being ridiculous, or you have a corrupt calander DB on the handheld.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Hahaha......you know, it's actually quite funny, I expected this to happen. Oh well....I'm done with the 700p. I've been using the 750 on attingular for the past 2.5 weeks (including international roaming with it) and I'm quite pleased with everything (despite the windows mobile 5 on it). It's a better phone than the 700p with similar usability features due to Palm's creative hacking of the UI, but for me it's just a step on the road to the iPhone.
    I am glad that you are back! (at least I haven't seen any postings lately with your signature anyway)

    When I loaded up my programs on the 750 that I tried, it became sluggish and so I went back to the 700p. I got the 755 and it still has some lag. I just hope that the next Treo Linux will stop you from going to the iphone as one handed use with that phone will be difficult I think. I am returning the 755 and hopefully the 700p with the MR will hold me till Dec or so with the new Linux version. CDMA carriers have to give us a device to compete with the Iphone!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I am glad that you are back! (at least I haven't seen any postings lately with your signature anyway)

    When I loaded up my programs on the 750 that I tried, it became sluggish and so I went back to the 700p. I got the 755 and it still has some lag. I just hope that the next Treo Linux will stop you from going to the iphone as one handed use with that phone will be difficult I think. I am returning the 755 and hopefully the 700p with the MR will hold me till Dec or so with the new Linux version. CDMA carriers have to give us a device to compete with the Iphone!
    Well I'm already on ATTingular already, or ATT Mobility as they will call it, and I'm enjoying a little bit of WCDMA/GSM goodness, especially since I've spent the past week in Malaysia on business. I'm actually posting this from KLIA (Kuala Lumpur Airport). So at least the 750's allowed me to have MY phone here and not a cheap samsung or nokia. There are a couple tweaks you can do to the 750 to speed it up a bit, and if you've seen the video of WM6 on the 750, it's gonna be pretty speedy. I'm just sorry I might not have an opportunity to use it since the iPhone looks like it'll be released on June 20th. When it's all said and done, though, by the time Palm releases its linux platform, it might be too late. Apple will have already sold a lot of iPhones in the US alone, and mobile OS X on the iPhone will likely have seen one or two software updates (if there are any bugs to fix). Right off the bat Palm will be competing with a more mature mobile flavor of *nix and it won't be easy because too many people today trust the Apple brand, especially after Palm's support fiasco.

    That mixed with Palm's history for being "on time" *snicker* with their software updates/OS updates means even though Palm Linux has been announced, it probably won't be seen until mid 2008 if that. I'm also not particular happy with Palm's lack of updates for Mac's version of hotsync, which doesn't work right in its current state and hasn't for more than a year.

    PS - don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see Palm come back, nothing would please me more than to have two smartphone OSes in the marketplace that are not Microsoft. The more competition, the better it will be for us the consumer. Maybe someday I will switch from the iPhone to a future treo, but right now I don't see that happening, especially given Apple's track record with support and whizbang products.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Maybe someday I will switch from the iPhone to a future treo, but right now I don't see that happening, especially given Apple's track record with dying hard drives and products that look pretty but have much less features than the competition and still cost more just because they're Apple
    Corrected.
  16. llarson's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Maybe someday I will switch from the iPhone to a future treo, but right now I don't see that happening, especially given Apple's track record with dying hard drives and products that look pretty but have much less features than the competition and still cost more just because they're Apple

    Corrected.
    I have been using a mac for 15 years and have never had a hard drive die on me and Apple has always offered MORE features then the competition.

    But people always seem to want to throw mud and perfection.

    Will wait and see what iPhone has as built in tools before I switch but if it comes with some sort of Apple Works for reviewing documents I am in lke Flint!
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
  17. richpjr's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by llarson View Post
    I have been using a mac for 15 years and have never had a hard drive die on me and Apple has always offered MORE features then the competition.

    But people always seem to want to throw mud and perfection.
    Just because you haven't experienced a problem with your hard drives doesn't mean they didn't have issues with them.

    The iPhone is intriguing to me but since my work and family are all on Verizon it isn't an option for me. If it was, I'd wait until they are out in the general public a month or two before jumping on it.

    The good thing is that Apple's attention to the user interface will force other vendors to improve in this area, which I think is sorely needed.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
    Just because you haven't experienced a problem with your hard drives doesn't mean they didn't have issues with them.
    Apple has had issues here and there (and I can think of much better and more annoying examples than this), but this is news to me as well... Besides, even if this were true, you make this sound like it was Apple's fault that the third party drive that was included died? I suppose no other computer manufacturer had issues with the same exact drives either?
  19. #19  
    What have you been smoking? The iPod is dummied down for idiots. How long has it been crippled compared to other players. No MSC, no gapless, no cross fader (and some other useful add-on features), inferior sound quality, less battery life, limited codec support, and limited program support (ie. itunes as your only option).

    What it did offer was a slim package, nice UI, and easy transfer and access to music via itunes. Back that with one of the better marketing plans of modern times and you have a hit. But to say it has always offered more features than the competition is a joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by llarson View Post
    Apple has always offered MORE features then the competition.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Corrected.
    So we're gonna blame Apple for failing of third party drives? You remember the IBM Deskstar that was kindly renamed to Deathstar because of the high failure rates? All manufacturers have issues from time to time, but how they deal with them and stand behind their product is what's important to me. I know first hand how good Apple's support is, and that was my point.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions