1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I have been a rabid Chattermail fan for a while now. Over a year anyway.

My company just migrated to Office 2007, and I just bought Documents to
    Go v10 to support reading the files.

Unfortunately there appears to be a bug in Chatter where the MIME type
    of an Office 2007 attachment is not recognized and the attachment is
    stripped. I have been informed there is nothing I can do, and nothing they can do, though Marc will graciously give me a refund.

I have found that either renaming the file from ".docx" to ".doc", or
    ZIPing the file will fix the issue- but the problem lies with people
    sending ME the attachments.

I looked at Snappermail, and I'm not impressed. I have yet to find a
    Palm email client that matches Chatter!

I'm looking for:

1. IMAP support
    2. SSL support (for IMAP and SMTP)
    3. BACKGROUND receive!!
    4. IDLE / PUSH email support
    5. .... Office 2007 attachment support!

Are there any viable clients? Please help me!

I was so excited because Garmin's latest release of Mobile XT allows me
    to do GPS navigation AND check email!

Thanks,

~Mike
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Mike,

I've looked for an alternative and unfortunately I didn't find anything in the same league. It's ironic that Palm has taken away one of the best apps for their devices. I hope they do something productive with the asset, but I'm not optimistic that Palm will produce anything compatible with existing devices. Versamail is a poor replacement at this point. Marc was a great asset to the Palm third party community. In my opinion, Palm needs to step up and support the software
    Just a shot in the dark here, but have you tried using a program like Toysoft's Media Type Manager (http://www.toysoft.ca/MediaTypeMgr.html) to set the default app for .docx files? A loooong time ago, I seem to remember having a similar problem with Chatter not recognizing a certain attachment type, and the Toysoft product fixed it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    Just a shot in the dark here, but have you tried using a program like Toysoft's Media Type Manager (http://www.toysoft.ca/MediaTypeMgr.html) to set the default app for .docx files? A loooong time ago, I seem to remember having a similar problem with Chatter not recognizing a certain attachment type, and the Toysoft product fixed it.
    Dude, at this point I'll try anything!

Although Documents to Go thinks it owns .docx I think, but I'm not 100% sure.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    ChatterEmail is still supported; it's just no longer being developed.

Marc
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    ChatterEmail is still supported; it's just no longer being developed.

Marc
    Yeah I hope I didn't give that impression- I worked with support to come to the conclusion there was a bug. Support was immediately responsive, as always!

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    Did this fix when the message was actually received and the attachment was stripped? Or the attachment was there, but Chatter didn't know what to do with it?

I verified with the demo of that app that "docx" is registered to Documents to go... but it appears to still be stripping off the attachment when it's received (through IMAP).

I suppose for the emails that the attachments are stripped I can use webmail... although I can't tell they had attachments unless the email says "see attached"...

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Hi Marc,

I know that you still support the existing product, didn't mean to imply otherwise as your support record is a role model for others. However, it's just a matter of time before enough things change that the Exchange plug in will stop working or file formats will cause problems.... and no new development will cripple the app. It's my most useful third party app and one of the big reasons I've stayed with the Treo line. Like Nokia killing the best IM client, Verichat, Palm shelving ChatterEmail, if that's what they ultimately do, will be another significant loss to the user community. Perhaps your product marketing peers at Palm can address that in the Palm Blog. It seems that official line is use Active Sync, but with VPN certificates being problematic, that's not effective for all of us. Using OWA or even RPC over HTTP would be a useful addition.

Paul
    I hear ya!

But it's not as though Palm has shelved ChatterEmail; I wouldn't have kept working on it much longer anyway...

Marc
    I hear ya!

But it's not as though Palm has shelved ChatterEmail; I wouldn't have kept working on it much longer anyway...

Marc
    I'm busily trying to pull inferences from that statement. . . . unsuccessfully.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I'm busily trying to pull inferences from that statement. . . . unsuccessfully.
    I think Marc just means it's still for sale, since he has previously stated he's unaware on any plans to update it or continue its development. But one can only hope...

Paul
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pluka View Post
    I think Marc just means it's still for sale, since he has previously stated he's unaware on any plans to update it or continue its development. But one can only hope...

Paul
    Ed Colligan stated that Chatter would be a part of the new Palm Linux POS targeted for release late in 07.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Ed said nothing of the sort.

Marc
    It does raise an interesting question to current and future buyers..

"Supported but not being developed" ..

Does that mean that issues like those identified in the OP be considered a "bug" and will get "fixed" or is it a "feature" and not get "added" ?

What about what was raised in msg # 8? If something changes in the server side of Exchange, will Chatter change to keep up? My guess is "no".
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    My guess is that Chatter will stay as is unless some serious bug incapacitates it sometime soon. That's unlikely since the stable version has been out for some time without a major flaw. If anyone's noticed Marc is still answering questions on the product, but I'm assuming that's due to his loyalty to his customers rather than anything Palm is doing.

Looking into my crystal ball....I think Palm will take some of ChatterEmail's concepts and implement them elsewhere. Perhaps improving Versamail's overall performance. With Palm moving to Linux, ChatterEmail will likely fade into the past.

I also think it's interesting the the EX plug-in was spun off (If I understand correctly). It tells me that we will not see an OWA interface from Palm. More likely they'll continue down the ActiveSync path. Maybe if we're lucky they'll consider RPC over HTTP to get around VPN issues.

So, thankfully ChatterEmail works great for most of us now. Use it, enjoy it and hope that Marc's talents help Palm create a useful and innovate new device. - I'm a big fan!

Paul
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Ed said nothing of the sort.

Marc
    It was the web presentation on 4/10/07. Ed announced the POS linux, the acquisition of Chatter and the agreement to use Opera in the future:

More as it develops, but the big story so far from Palm's Investor Day today is that Palm has been working on a new version of the PalmOS that is based on a Linux kernel. Details are still very scant, but so far we know the following:

* PalmOS 5 devices (currently the latest version) will still be released later this year
    * Devices based on the Linux kernel should be released by the end of the year.
    * The OS is separate from the Access Linux Platform, it is Palm's own homegrown OS.
    * Palm will not license the OS to other manufacturers
    * It is highly likely that the new OS will use Opera as its default browser, given the recent agreement between Palm and Opera.

As can be seen by the graphic below, Palm seems to intend that the Linux-based PalmOS will maintain some backward compatibility (i.e. "Commitment to the Palm OS Commmunity"). It seems clear that Palm has no desire to license Access's mobile OS, but prefers to develop their own to leverage the long experience in creating software with great usability. This PalmOS will be separate from Access' OS. Furthermore, Colligan made it clear that Palm has no intention of licensing the new OS to other hardware manufacturers.

Colligan also pointed out that Palm recently acquired Chatteremail, a great PalmOS email client. Also of note is that Palm has recently entered into an agreement with Opera to use their browser on "future Palm products." In other words, it seems likely that Palm will not even be using Access's browser, Netfront, which has been the basis for Blazer.

http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1163-1.htm

I am inferring the Chatter will be incorporated into the new Palm/Linux OS. Why else would he have made all three announcements simultaneously? And why did he sandwich Chatter in b/w Palm Linux/OS and using Opera on "future" Palm products announcements?
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    I don't think Ed meant to imply anything in particular about timing, how pieces would fit together, etc. I know it's fun to try to read the tea leaves, though.

Marc
    My guess is that Chatter will stay as is unless some serious bug incapacitates it sometime soon. That's unlikely since the stable version has been out for some time without a major flaw. If anyone's noticed Marc is still answering questions on the product, but I'm assuming that's due to his loyalty to his customers rather than anything Palm is doing.

Looking into my crystal ball....I think Palm will take some of ChatterEmail's concepts and implement them elsewhere. Perhaps improving Versamail's overall performance. With Palm moving to Linux, ChatterEmail will likely fade into the past.

I also think it's interesting the the EX plug-in was spun off (If I understand correctly). It tells me that we will not see an OWA interface from Palm. More likely they'll continue down the ActiveSync path. Maybe if we're lucky they'll consider RPC over HTTP to get around VPN issues.

So, thankfully ChatterEmail works great for most of us now. Use it, enjoy it and hope that Marc's talents help Palm create a useful and innovate new device. - I'm a big fan!

Paul
    We agree that serious bugs (if any) will get fixed. I have been happily using CM for many months now. I avoid policies pushed to the Treo by the corporate servers to the ActiveSync users.

However, it is not clear whant exactly will be considered a bug, and what will get fixed (and what will not). What exactly does "being supported" mean? This is a serious issue for those pondering the purchase of CM at this stage.

A colleague of mine at work is debating this: Activesync with all it's restrictions and lousy (versamail) interface, or elegant but frozen (in the development sense) CM?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    There haven't been bug fixes in quite a long time, and I wouldn't expect to see any in the future. The vast majority of support issues relate to installation, compatibility, and registration codes. New users should ensure that the app works properly with their configuration before purchasing (nothing new there); existing users (myself included) rarely have issues beyond those related to registration codes.

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 05/25/2007 at 07:06 PM.
    The reason for spinning off OWA was that it was more problematic than the rest of ChatterEmail. (Not much more so, but more than once, I had issues that were not clear why they happened. A email to Marc (support) always suggested some slightly esoteric set of steps which always rectified the problem.) The point is: Marc stated that OWA required a disproportionate amount of his total support time, and my experiences bear that out. THERE IS NOTHING MORE TO READ INTO THIS. This decision was made before Palm acquired CM. I think Palm noticed that Marc was shelving some of the support, and this led (probably) the one remaining bright bulb at Palm to the idea that Marc might be "acquirable" by offloading the rest of the CM support for him. <Now there are at least 2 bright bulbs at Palm. Marc, and the person who hired him.>

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!