Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Surur,

I don't know why they didn't put a 2 megapixel camera in it. Maybe it would have taken some time to rewrite the processing software. Maybe the images are too big to handle quickly (there is a little lag w/Palm Garnet as it is ). I don't know. I would think an extra megapixel wouldn't be that big of a deal.

As far as re-engineering the motherboard, radio, screen, etc.. to make it thinner - that is big time engineering effort and I wouldn't have spent the time and money on that either. They have a decent form factor with the 680/75x series. That will do till winter.

They obviously were shooting to keep sales consistent till Linux. It would be irresponsible management not to do that.
    are you kidding? palm is THE definition of irresponsible management! its amazing to me how folks justify things around here.

irresponsible management brought about the palmsource spinoff blunder, the logo nonsense, changing from palm to palmone and back to palm again, having to pay millions to to so each time, as well as having to pay millions to simply buy the rights to the name of "palm" again.

its incredible to hear people try to tout palm's managerial and strategic "wisdom" when you look back at the last few years of what amounts to a ringling brothers and barnum and bailey circus show. Palm is treading water now. That's the situation.
    "The least appealing aspect of this Treo is its antiquated desktop software. Windows users either must keep their addresses and calendars in the free but ages-old Palm Desktop or (if they have a copy) Microsoft's bloated, expensive Outlook."

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it true that with Windows Mobile phones the only choice for synchronization of contacts and calendars is Outlook?
    I am not familiar with the windows mobile experience so I really can't say for sure. The palm desktop does need refreshing though - that is true.
    Lighten up Francis,

I agree that the past 5 years have been one strategic blunder after another. Show me where I said anything about "palm's managerial and strategic "wisdom."" All I am saying is that although it would be preferable to have the Linux lineup ready, and that they could have had it by now w/o the blunders, they can't just ignore the next 7-12 months and let sales and profits fall. They had to put something out that would keep new customers coming in. Yes, that is fiscally responsible.

By saying that this decision is fiscally responsible I did not say they have showed regular "wisdom." As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single post from ANYONE on this board touting Palm management's "wisdom" over the past few years. Maybe you can search and find one.

However, your jacked up response is typical of the point I was making. The 755p is just what Palm wants it to be and does it very well. Your real argument isn't that the 755p stinks. It is that you are upset because the Linux Treo isn't here yet.

While I agree that it should be, it isn't. So, the 755p is as good as we get while waiting. Palm had two choices given the timeline on the Linux Treo: keep selling the 700p or put out an incremental improvement to keep new customers coming it.

Did you want them to put off the Linux Treo so the 755p could have a better camera?

Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    are you kidding? palm is THE definition of irresponsible management! its amazing to me how folks justify things around here.

irresponsible management brought about the palmsource spinoff blunder, the logo nonsense, changing from palm to palmone and back to palm again, having to pay millions to to so each time, as well as having to pay millions to simply buy the rights to the name of "palm" again.

its incredible to hear people try to tout palm's managerial and strategic "wisdom" when you look back at the last few years of what amounts to a ringling brothers and barnum and bailey circus show. Palm is treading water now. That's the situation.
    He kinda has a point, but when one considers just how great the Treo already was, it's much easier to "forgive it" for not making the kinds of strides that simple clamshells have made over the years.

Despite its flaws, I still think the Treo has a lot going for it. I wouldn't want a very radical change, although I can certainly understand the desire for change.

Too often, though, consumers or manufacturers want change for the sake of change - which often results in devolution instead of evolution.

EDIT: His later points are making me reconsider my position. For instance, I feel sorry for Vista users. Luckily, the laptop I just bought came with XP Media Center.
    Last edited by west3man; 05/25/2007 at 02:32 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12