Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Does anyone know if the updater also updates VersaMail to a version newer than v3.5.3?
    and risk breaking it? I would love to try it as much as her. Running a 650 program on a 680 is different IMO. This is a firmware update, and the success of it working depends on the differences in hardware between the unlocked and locked versions. Plus even if it works, I dont want the AT&T logo, and the other network specific sauce on my phone.

Having said that, I would love to try it as much as the next guy, but if it fails, my phone is a brick..
    Last edited by kunjan; 05/24/2007 at 09:16 PM.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    doesn't sound like it has much that most of us already have except for the new Att brand No big Wow here
    Took about 15 minutes. No problems except that I seem to have lost the custom categories I set up as well as what I set up on the phone "favorites" screen. Pocketunes also reverted to a previous version. Everything else seems fine.
    I plugged it in to recharge and after about an hour the red light turned green and the battery says "100% Charging".

I;m going to keep it plugged in all night and see what tommorow brings.
    Dennis G. Esler
    No need to rush for this update if you have the last two
    i'd wait n see if its worth it I like the sound of cingular better than AtnT anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    Does anyone know if the updater also updates VersaMail to a version newer than v3.5.3?
    v3.5.2
    Dennis G. Esler
    I'm not exactly upset at the way my 680 is currently running...so I'm not exactly running to jump on this download that promises so little improvement.
    I could care less about AT&T branding...and my battery life is fine. Can't see any other real reason to rush into it.

I may be wrong...
    Crimson Treo 680 (given up for adoption)
    BlackBerry 9000 Bold - Main
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    I have finally got this thing to work. I started and was told I needed 20 M free space. I deleted and got to 21.5 or so. Started the update and halfway through was told that I needed more free space. I hit ok and then I could use my Treo as normal. Then all of a sudden it started trying to run the update again. Nothing was happening on the computer though. I gave up, exited the palm live something or other in task manager and then reset my treo to stop the update. DON'T DO THAT. I was then in an endless reset loop. Problem solved with a hard reset and backup from NVBackup ( Whew) I then proceeded. It took about 20 minutes according to the little elapsed timer thing. Then more reset loops. Another hard reset. NV Backup restore again.(what to do without that backup) Now everything is back to normal without having to install the deleted apps. Ereader even opens up to the page where I left off
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babydol View Post
    yes, we know. just because something is "specified" for one phone, doesn't mean that there aren't people who might want to try it on another platform/phone. how many programs are meant for the 650 and people have tried on 680s, and successfully run? Plenty of them. I think he was just asking if anybody HAS tried it on an unlocked 680
    thanks, babydol. that's exactly what i meant - i know it's described as being for at&t/cingular treos only, but i was curious to see if anyone with any unlocked treo was brave enough to try it. i wanted to see the results before i try it with mine.

oh, and i thought my username makes it pretty clear that i'm NOT a guy.
    I just did the upgrade, Only took mine about 15 minutes, The first thing I noticed is the new AT&T splash screens when you turn the phone on & off.
    Other than that, everything ended up exactly like I left it.
    I can't wait to see how it does on the battery life tomorrow!!! I'm hoping to see a significant improvement. We'll see...

If anyone has done the upgrade earlier, please post you findings on the "battery fix".

I've been waiting for this new firmware to come out since I got the phone, hope it lives up to everyone's expectations!!!

Edit.... I did find that it went back to the default applicatioin's catagories, but no big deal to put back to my old set up.
    Other than that, everything seems to be just great.
    Last edited by ILBandit; 05/24/2007 at 09:17 PM.
    I second kunjan's caution on this one. Not recommended for anyone that isn't on Cingular/AT&T. If you read other threads, we're the only ones that have been suffering through some of the symptoms that this patch fixes.

Consider yourself lucky that you don't need this patch.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

the jibberish issue is what is most important with this update. Let's hope it fixes it!
    Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch View Post
    doesn't sound like it has much that most of us already have except for the new Att brand No big Wow here
    As most probably did...I almost broke my neck running to get my power adapter and hot-sync cord, until I realized just what you have stated. I would rather wait for a custom ROM that made more of a difference. I don't have any real gripes about my 680 right now...

So, if it ain't broke...

Crimson Treo 680 (given up for adoption)
    BlackBerry 9000 Bold - Main
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw View Post
    the jibberish issue is what is most important with this update. Let's hope it fixes it!
    I guess I'm lucky when it comes to that issue, mine has only done it 2 times. And I have one of the sims on the "bad sims" list.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scouter075 View Post
    v3.5.2
    VersaMail is still v3.5.2.
    If an unlocked gsm uses this update, it will be locked to att right? Any news when unlocked is planned to be released?
    Here's my tale....

First of all, you need 20MB free RAM to install this update. I had to move some of my junk to the card.

Also, if you use PDA Reach, you should disable it. In my case, it kept trying to reconnect after every reset and that caused problems. I had to shut down PDA Reach on my PC and totally delete it from my Treo to make this patch work because it requires several resets.

Once the patch was underway I got about 80% of the way through the initial "copying files" step and the update program that was running on my PC crashed. Now my Treo is stuck on the screen that says "Warning: Do not reset or unplug your device." I sent the error report to Microsoft and it said it was a Windows problem but that Microsoft didn't know how to fix it. (Thanks Bill!) It suggested that I run Windows Update just for grins. I sure hope my phone hasn't turned into an expensive brick.

I don't know if these problems were somehow triggered by my space problems or my PDA Reach issue (probably not) but I thought I better get the word out. I'm going to try it again and see how it goes. May have to try from a different PC.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    Here's my tale....

First of all, you need 20MB free RAM to install this update. I had to move some of my junk to the card.

Also, if you use PDA Reach, you should disable it. In my case, it kept trying to reconnect after every reset and that caused problems. I had to shut down PDA Reach on my PC and totally delete it from my Treo to make this patch work because it requires several resets.

Once the patch was underway I got about 80% of the way through the initial "copying files" step and the update program that was running on my PC crashed. Now my Treo is stuck on the screen that says "Warning: Do not reset or unplug your device." I sent the error report to Microsoft and it said it was a Windows problem but that Microsoft didn't know how to fix it. (Thanks Bill!) It suggested that I run Windows Update just for grins. I sure hope my phone hasn't turned into an expensive brick.

I don't know if these problems were somehow triggered by my space problems or my PDA Reach issue (probably not) but I thought I better get the word out. I'm going to try it again and see how it goes. May have to try from a different PC.

How about doing a hard reset and then doing a update? That way all problem causing software is off the treo. I think you are past that stage, but others might still find it better to hotsync, do a hard reset and then run the updater. I think running the update from the SD card is the best way, so as to avoid the microsoft hell.

Now only if there was a unlocked gsm update for this. I feel sorry for the 700p guys. They havent got their update yet! At this point I would speculate its Sprint thats being the holdup, though...
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Quote Originally Posted by r6girl View Post
    thanks, babydol. that's exactly what i meant - i know it's described as being for at&t/cingular treos only, but i was curious to see if anyone with any unlocked treo was brave enough to try it. i wanted to see the results before i try it with mine.

oh, and i thought my username makes it pretty clear that i'm NOT a guy.
    hehe sorry about that! to be perfectly honest, whenever I'm reading posts, I normally dont pay attention to the persons username a lot of the time
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Crashed again at an elapsed time of 4:42. The program that crashed was MS HTML Application Host, which is a Microsoft utility. After it closed the patch process opened a Cmd window that said "Shutdown the PalmOneLiveConnect server, if needed" and quit. The MS HTML Application Host and the PalmOneLiveConnect server appear to be tasks that allow the PC to talk to the Treo, which has never been a problem until now. I'm going to try it on my work PC tomorrow and, if that fails, I'll hard reset it.

What fun.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast