1.    #1  
    So much software, So much information....

Here's the problem, I like to try new software, I get bored quick and like to try new looks, new uses, etc. I find cool software and think "wow, this is nice... how can I use it", so it works out that I try to find a need in order to use a new piece of software. Where as the way it should work is I find a need and have that drive me to find software that addresses that need. Well I end up actually making things more difficult with that approach. I remember I recorded an important piece of info on my Treo, I just can't remember which software I used to store it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I have memo's, listpro, daynotez, docs to go, ewallet, and a couple others that I use for information strorage.

I'm trying to simplify and just stick to the couple pieces of software that have worked so well (of course that gets boring). So here is my question...

What system have you developed for the use of your software. I think I've decided that I would use DayNotez as the catch all location, everything gets dumped in there (that way it's easy and I don't have to think about where a piece of info goes when I'm in a hurry to record it). Then later when I have time I would relocate that piece of info into eWallet, ListPro, Memo, or Docs to Go (although I usually avoid Docs to Go for regular day to day needs as it's a little slow). I could probably limit my tools to just three and drop the use of Memo's and Docs to Go (for day to day stuff anyway) if the upcoming ListPro version 5 release addresses a couple shortcomings of the software. Of course this really doesn't solve the boredom issue.

So what do you do?
    Datebook6 for things to do, HanDBase for capturing general information (created an applet that captures title and detailed notes). DTG for specific reports. Once in a while the memo thing.

If I am trying a new application, then I double the work - the new app and the "old" way.

Ben
    I Sied most everything. things that require more formatting or organization make into DTG
  4.    #4  
    I should have added another paragraph above as that is regarding everything not PIM related. I currently use Agendus although am demoing 2day as a way to get rid of the very BIG footprint of Agendus but still retain the week view that includes to-do's. I wish Iambic would create an Agendus Lite, same pretty face and 5-way support but without alot of the extra items in it that make it so big. I know they have the various versions but even the Standard version is a bit hefty for what I actually use, has to be pretty though.

One thing I've been trying with Docs to Go is to create simple word docs that have hyperlinks at the top of the document to bookmarks further down the pages. It is a nice way to have a table of contents or index, I can navigate to the hyperlink with my 5-way and then clicking on it jumps me down the file to the bookmark.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sci72 View Post

So what do you do?
    I have been in same situation as you. After trying out several softwares. I settled on 2 which together do all that I need.
    1)Agendus for calendar related information.
    2)Listpro for all the rest.

Listpro is a very complete PIM that can store information in Outlined format combined with Columns of various types: Number, date, note, tickler etc.
    In fact all the programs you named eWallet, ListPro, Memo & Daynotez and even Docs to Go to some extent, are only a subset of Listpro.

I store my Credit cards information, software registration codes, all other passwords in Listpro which I protect with a password

You can keep a journal in Daynotez, but you can keep as many as you want in Listpro. You can keep one for personal use, one for business etc. I keep dozens of journals, each for every construction site I am supervising.

The columns of Listpro enables me to keep databases like books I own. One column for Title, One for Author, one for ISBN, one for category & so on. I even have a a note pad in Listpro to jog down reading notes for each book I have.

Although I have Word to Go, I prefer typing my documents in Open Office (can be MS Office for someone else) and copy/paste them into Listpro on PC & Sync to palm. The advantage is that in Listpro all my documents are organised into sub-items. For example to keep track of my correspondance for a given client, I create an item as follows

Client A
    -Letters
    --Quote for service
    --Memorandum of appointment
    --Minutes of meeting
    ---May 10, 2007
    ---May 25, 2007

Note: each - represents an indent or a sub-item

I have a notepad for each of Quote for service, etc where I paste my letter.

I have also created a template so that I just change name for different clients.

The only disadvantage of Listpro is absence of text formatting. IMO, it's functionalities
    outweigh this disadvantage, if we consider it as one.

John
    Last edited by Brjlk; 05/25/2007 at 03:47 AM.
    I use the stuff that comes installed with the Treo unless there is a compelling reason otherwise. The more crap you layer in, the more unstable the device gets. Perhaps you won't see any instability right away, but sooner or later, there's an issue.

Could I use other programs? Sure... but are these different features really worth taking up my internal memory and spending $20 on? You could spend a couple of hundred dollars replacing all of the programs that come with the Treo and, in my opinion anyways, it wouldn't really be any more useable... it'd just be different.

I tell anyone who gets a new Treo that they should spend a week, a month, anyways a good, long time really USING the software it comes with before deciding that something new has to be added. By that time, at least you'll have a good idea of what your actual needs are, so you can make an intelligent choice.

What would I do if I were you? I'd hard-reset your device, reinstall your contacts, and use what Palm provided you so you know what features you really need.

Unpopular opinion perhaps, but there you have it.

Tom
    The word is crap for those applications that are not properly written for the device. The word is crap when a user does not spend the time to properly review an application before purchasing it.

Reason for crap - programs not written for the new file system.

Reason for crap - two or more programs attempting to control the same function. This can happen due to a brain malfunction in forgetting about another piece of software or how something is enabled, et cetera.

Reason for crap - having a problem with an application and not taking the time to determine if it has been updated or contacting the developer for support.

In the forums there have been a couple of times I suggested a similar action to yours - make a list of what you want to do with the device and from there.

Crap can normally be taken care of without a hard reset.

Ben