1.    #1  
    Just wondering if there are other (preferably freeware) replacements for the PalmOS memo pad besides Wordsmith. If I thought I'd use the word processing features more, WS would be a good buy, but as of now I'm much more likely to just use the enhanced memo pad and doc viewer (which remain usable even if WS is unregistered). However, 300k+ is a lot just for those two features. I know there are numerous doc readers out there, but I haven't seen much discussion of memo pad replacements. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jeff
    When the trial version of wordsmith expires, the word processing feature are gone, but the enhanced memo pad remains. Try it out!
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    When the trial version of wordsmith expires, the word processing feature are gone, but the enhanced memo pad remains. Try it out!
    Right, but WordSmith takes up somewhere north of 300k (unless it magically shrinks itself once the trial period expires), which is a lot of memory just for the enhanced memo pad and doc reader. I figured I'd see if anyone knew of alternate, preferably smaller and free, memo pad replacements, since there are plenty of doc readers around.

Jeff
    I've been using cryptopad as a memo-pad replacement. aside from looking just like memopad, it also lets you have memos longer than 4k, allows you to encrypt memos or categories of memos.

should be available through palmgear.com.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Given the memory limitations of the T650, I imagine others are looking for a small enhanced memo pad. I use Wordsmith *only* for the formatting abilities. Can anyone suggest a smaller application that offers those features?
    I agree with imabug . I really like cryptopad and have been using it for the last 3 palms. I have had it crash once or twice on my 650 so I am not sure of how stable it will be long term. But, I am using an older version (v3.53) b/c I did not need the newer stuff and I like the small footprint.

[Edit:] I have since found that cryptopad (ver 3.x) is crashing on my Treo 650 and I have had to remove it

[Edit2:} I have now testing with verson 2.23 and version 4.09. Both crash on my Treo 650 cingular
    Last edited by Hotoru; 03/28/2005 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Update
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Well, has anything like WordSmith's enhanced Memo ever been found?
    All will believe in Him! The question is when!
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imabug
    I've been using cryptopad as a memo-pad replacement. aside from looking just like memopad, it also lets you have memos longer than 4k, allows you to encrypt memos or categories of memos.

If you choose to sync the palm with Outlook, as I do, the memo-pad is automatically mapped to Outlook's Notes component .

Does anyone know if cryptopad inherits this particular capability?

sounds like a useful program,

geoff
    I dont use it myself but PsMemo sounds like it replaces the memo app
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imabug

Unfortunately it seems that Cryptopad's ability to beat the 4k limit ONLY applies if you encrypt the message. Otherwise longer notes will be truncated during hot-syncing. See:

http://www.brianhetrick.com/palm/cryptopad.html

When I tried to create a long memo in CP I got the warning ">4k" mentioned in the above link.

This seems to introduce an effective blockade on >4k messages because:

1. Although unencrypted memos are sync-ed as part of the normal memopad syncing, encrypted memos require the dedicated Windows version of CP.

2. The documentation that comes with Palm CP says that the later versions of Palm CP are not compatible with the current Windows version, but they are "working on it"! The link to the download for the Windows version didnt link to anything.

I havent tried PS memo yet (thanks Franko!), but I cant see any mention of it beating the 4k limit, which is a major wish of mine. Maybe Wordsmith, which I have trialled in the past, never realised the memo component survived expiry!

geoff

Edit: you can get earlier versions of Palm CP and the Windows desktop companion at Palmgear, havent tried them yet.

Further Edit: The combination of Palm CP 3.64 and Windows CP 1.0 as supplied for free on Palmgear works. That is, up to 4k memos are sync-ed to wherever you normally sync them to, and longer encrypted memos (up to about 32K) are sync-ed to the desktop. So I guess this program combo gives you two functionalities for a very good price (ie nothing).

I checked PS Memo, it doesnt seem to cope with >4k.
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 04/04/2006 at 09:22 AM.
    Years ago, I seem to recall an enhanced memo app called MemoPlus, or something similar. Anyone have any idea on this?
    There's been one written about on Palm Addicts several times over the past few weeks. Can't recall name ATM, will coem back and post "when it comes to me"
    I am also looking for this... It would be great if this enhanced memo application would also handle plain .txt files from on the SD card. One thing about WordSmith, the most recent version I tried didn't have good one-handed 5-way support.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Well there is this

http://www.natara.com/DayNotez/index.cfm

which interfaces nicely, if ya need it, with this:

http://www.natara.com/Comet/index.cfm
    PsMemo is a fantastic free memo enhancer http://www.excite.co.jp/world/englis...co=excitejapan
    Any screenshots?
    PsMemo is a fantastic free memo enhancer http://www.excite.co.jp/world/engli..._co=excitejapan
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    Any screenshots?
    tell me how and i'll send you some
    That's okay, I found some. Thanks anyway.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Years ago, I seem to recall an enhanced memo app called MemoPlus, or something similar. Anyone have any idea on this?
    I have run this for years, but in truth I don't ask much of the software. I originally bought it because it had a simple little sketch engine built in and I found it usefull doing field sketches.

I believe it is still available through HandsHigh Software, but I don't think it has much recent development

Mark
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Turning money into noise and the occasional gadget