Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've got the phone-as-modem plan with Sprint for my Treo 755P. (I know this because it took four tries to get someone capable and competent enough to set it up.) I used Sprint's Connection Manager software to set it up to work with my Bluetooth-enabled laptop via Bluetooth... as long as I don't use Sprint's Connection Manager for anything other than the initial set-up.

Success.

I later tried using the service via usb.

No success.

The 755P drivers are elusive or nonexistent despite the fact that the documentation that came with my 755P instructed me to go to a MyPalm site to retrieve the tethering (i.e. via usb) software. The site doesn't exist or is always down (as if a couple of days, ago, anyway).

MyPalm.com reps tell me to see Sprint. Sprint said Palm never sent them the drivers.

Later a Sprint rep lead me to their download site which actually did have 755P tethering software - that's what it says, anyway. After installation, the software always says the tethering portion wasn't loaded and it tells me to make sure I have the latest Palm desktop software.

So, the Connection Manager software doesn't work for me. Now, my girlfriend uses tethering on her 755P, but she chose the 700P drivers (which, I believe are identical to the 755P drivers) during set-up. That didn't work for me, so I gather it may vary by laptop or something. Heck, for all I know, my Treo could be defective in some way.

I've talked to plenty of Sprint reps and have had a ticket set up which, supposedly will prompt one of their engineers to call me and try to solve my problem. That was 48 hours, ago. I'm still waiting on that call.

Bottom line: I can circumvent Sprint software and use dial-up networking via Bluetooth, but I can't use the service via usb. My girlfriend's laptop doesn't have Bluetooth and she can use dial-up networking via usb.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Easy fix:

Buy PDANet or USBModem and stop paying the crappy PAM charges.
    Install the DUN hack for the 700p on your 755 for bluetooth.

The DUN hack for the 700p works just fine to get the 755p working via USB as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by i330 View Post
    The DUN hack for the 700p works just fine to get the 755p working via USB as well.
    USBModem works well for the USB.

Trying to sync on Mac OS w/ the USB cord and the DUN hack installed causes a lock-up though, strangely.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by i330 View Post
    I'd prefer not to go this route, but even if I were inclined to give it a shot, the instructions appear to be buried within a ton of threads and posts on the subject.

I've searched before, unsuccessfully.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'd prefer not to go this route, but even if I were inclined to give it a shot, the instructions appear to be buried within a ton of threads and posts on the subject.

I've searched before, unsuccessfully.
    Read here and follow the instructions for the 700p, they apply for the 755- as well.

http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/
  7.    #7  
    A Sprint engineer finally called me back, yesterday. It only took a week.

Anyway, he said the problems with P.A.M. on the 755P are related to the Sprint Connection Manager software, not the Treo device. He said the software has been fixed/replaced and just has to be released onto Sprint's download site.

He says the replacement software will be on the site by Friday of this week, but next week at the latest. He also says it will end in "036," which makes sense, since the current version ends in "035."
    Last edited by west3man; 05/29/2007 at 03:23 PM.
    I have successful connected my PAM (755p) by BT and USB (via USB Modem) with ease.
    I couldn't get it to work right either. I gave up, downloaded PDANET and it couldn't work easier, faster, or better.

Anyone know about the possibility of SPCS finding out about tethering? My dad wants to drop his home connection and use this, but doesn't want to pay the $50 a month for it. That's a pretty healthy sum I'll add....
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleNickle View Post
    I have successful connected my PAM (755p) by BT and USB (via USB Modem) with ease.
    What do you use for your BT connection?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gpshemi View Post
    I couldn't get it to work right either. I gave up, downloaded PDANET and it couldn't work easier, faster, or better.

Anyone know about the possibility of SPCS finding out about tethering? My dad wants to drop his home connection and use this, but doesn't want to pay the $50 a month for it. That's a pretty healthy sum I'll add....
    The phone may not tell Sprint what you're doing, but the amount of data exchanged send up a flag.

By the way, the $40/mo. (or $50/mo. if that's what you've heard) fee seems to be a misunderstanding. Sprint says the unlimited plan is not in addition to your existing internet access fees. It takes the place of them.

So, if you currently pay $25 for internet access on your phone, you'd be paying $15 more for the P.A.M. plan. That's not as good as free, but it could be worse (like $40-$50 more).

Of course, we'll see what happens when the bill arrives, but every Sprint rep we've talked to about this over the past few months, has confirmed this.
    We're on the SERO plan. Unlimited data is just rolled in. So the tethering option would be another $50 a month on top of the SERO plan.
    gpshemi, I'm on the SERO plan. Are you saying I can not use the Sprint Connection Manager to tether my 755 to my laptop without paying additional money? (if I can get the software to work).
    Yes. Under the SERO plan (or any other as far as I know) you must have the optional tethering for $49 a month in order to tether to a laptop/computer legit. Otherwise you are in violation of the plan rules. However, PDAnet will allow you to tether just fine. Question is.....will they know....and will they do something about it? $49 is just a tad rich for the option is all. That's hard to justify. For that kind of money you could just buy a laptop card and forget it.
    I've been using USBModem without a problem on my 755p. Originally it only supported USB connections for the 755p but a new version was released this morning which should enable BT support as well. I''ll give it a try as soon as I can.
    I remember the webpage for the phone data plan stating how you could access the internet on your laptop via the phone. I didn't study my contract but when I saw this I assumed tethering was included in the phone data. Oh well, I don't use it that frequently so it shouldn't be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy View Post
    I remember the webpage for the phone data plan stating how you could access the internet on your laptop via the phone. I didn't study my contract but when I saw this I assumed tethering was included in the phone data. Oh well, I don't use it that frequently so it shouldn't be an issue.
    Tethering is definitely not included unless you get the PAM add-on. As long as you don't go crazy, you should be fine. I would never use Sprint as my main ISP or do tons of file transfers, but for some occasional web browsing and e-mail, it's not a problem. Considering how often I stream Shoutcast and XM on my Treo, I use way more bandwidth on the device itself rather than tethering.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Tethering is definitely not included unless you get the PAM add-on. As long as you don't go crazy, you should be fine. I would never use Sprint as my main ISP or do tons of file transfers, but for some occasional web browsing and e-mail, it's not a problem. Considering how often I stream Shoutcast and XM on my Treo, I use way more bandwidth on the device itself rather than tethering.
    I don't know what Sprint's download/upload threshold might be, but streaming audio and video can result in high numbers fairly quickly (relatively speaking).

TreoCentral's TreoCast was over 20MB, this morning. I think Sprint charges by the kB. Again, I'm not sure after which point they begin charging, but if you stream enough, I'd be concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't know what Sprint's download/upload threshold might be, but streaming audio and video can result in high numbers fairly quickly (relatively speaking).

TreoCentral's TreoCast was over 20MB, this morning. I think Sprint charges by the kB. Again, I'm not sure after which point they begin charging, but if you stream enough, I'd be concerned.
    I said I stream audio on my Treo, not while tethering. Unlimited data means it's unlimited, there's no threshold. I've easily used hundreds of megabytes per month on my Treo and have never had a problem. I wouldn't start streaming a lot of content while tethering though, I agree that's asking for trouble.

Sprint doesn't charge by the kb if you have an unlimited data plan. If you have unlimited Vision or Power Vision, then there's no limited. If you tether and they catch you, they can cancel your account and sometimes they might try to charge you for the data, but if you read the agreement, there's nothing about paying for data used while tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyPR View Post
    Read here and follow the instructions for the 700p, they apply for the 755- as well.

http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/
    I've tried this hack on my 755p and the other one posted on another post. I've tried both copying it from the SD card (per the vocaro website instructions) as well as hotsync to install. It seems to install fine, then I perform a soft reset. But, the Bluetooth prefs screen never shows the DUN option regardless of whether bluetooth is on or off. I use Filez to see the file and it's definitely in RAM. Am I missing something here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast