Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    I've tried this hack on my 755p and the other one posted on another post. I've tried both copying it from the SD card (per the vocaro website instructions) as well as hotsync to install. It seems to install fine, then I perform a soft reset. But, the Bluetooth prefs screen never shows the DUN option regardless of whether bluetooth is on or off. I use Filez to see the file and it's definitely in RAM. Am I missing something here?
    Not necessarily. I think it works for some folks and not others. I assume it's because some computers aren't as picky about drivers as others.

Anyway, Sprint download site (linked in an earlier post) has the latest P.A.M./Connection Manager software up. The version doesn't end in .036, like the engineer said, but it does end in .037.

I'm downloading it now and will try to test it this morning.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Not necessarily. I think it works for some folks and not others. I assume it's because some computers aren't as picky about drivers as others.

Anyway, Sprint download site (linked in an earlier post) has the latest P.A.M./Connection Manager software up. The version doesn't end in .036, like the engineer said, but it does end in .037.

I'm downloading it now and will try to test it this morning.
    west3man, thanks for the reply. I think we may be referring to different things unless I'm misunderstanding you... for me, after installing the hack on my Treo 755p, in the Bluetooth prefs, the DUN option does not appear as it should. It makes me wonder if there is software on my handheld preventing it from working correctly. My understanding is that it merely unmasks an optional screen that is already there but hidden by Sprint with their software. Perhaps you are suggesting that if I had different PAM software in ROM from Sprint that the hack might then work?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    west3man, thanks for the reply. I think we may be referring to different things unless I'm misunderstanding you... for me, after installing the hack on my Treo 755p, in the Bluetooth prefs, the DUN option does not appear as it should. It makes me wonder if there is software on my handheld preventing it from working correctly. My understanding is that it merely unmasks an optional screen that is already there but hidden by Sprint with their software. Perhaps you are suggesting that if I had different PAM software in ROM from Sprint that the hack might then work?
    You're right about us talking about different things. Sorry.

You're talking about a hack and I'm talking about using Sprint's plan and connection software. My bad.
    Anyone else had trouble getting the hack to make the DUN option show up in the Bluetooth Prefs screen? Any fixes for this?
    I installed the hack the first night I got my 755p and it has worked with a tiny bit of effort each time. Here's the kicker that may be tripping you up. The DUN option does _not_ show up when you install the hack (at least on the 755p. This is my first smart phone and I don't think it's going to work on my Handspring Visor Platinum ). It appears to have activated it in the background with no visual cllue.

The little bit of work I have to do is when I want to use the BT DUN, I re-pair it to my Mac everytime. After I do that I make sure everything under the Advanced Options in the PPP Options is unchecked ('Send PPP echo pakcets','Use TCP header compression', 'Connect using a terminal window', 'Prompt for password after dialing', 'Use verbose logging'). If I don't do this, I will only stay connected for five minutes. I'm not sure what the Windows settings are.

(Of course, I say all this and I just connected without re-pairing the connection.)

I don't leave my BT on in the 755p when I'm not using it, so that coiuld be helping me out as well (ei, turning the BT option off/on before using it).

Hope this helps.
    it doesnt show on my treo755p either but it def. works hmm wonder why theres no visual clue of it?
    The hack is for different versions of the Treo. Sprint disables tethering on the 650 by masking the DUN option completely. Hence a seperate section on how to enable DUN. For the Treos 700 and 755 DUN is already enabled. Sprint attempts to prohibit tethering by distinguishing between a connection via DUN and a normal connection not using DUN on their end. To prohibit Sprint from distinguishing between the two a hack specific for the latter Treos is required. So long story short, the fix for the Treo 700 and 755 is in the background while the fix for the 650 is done by manually enabling an option. If the hack is installed in the Palm's RAM it will automatically loan on reboot even though an icon or any other option will not appear. Regards.
    loan = load
    Quote Originally Posted by rogersv View Post
    The hack is for different versions of the Treo. Sprint disables tethering on the 650 by masking the DUN option completely. Hence a seperate section on how to enable DUN. For the Treos 700 and 755 DUN is already enabled. Sprint attempts to prohibit tethering by distinguishing between a connection via DUN and a normal connection not using DUN on their end. To prohibit Sprint from distinguishing between the two a hack specific for the latter Treos is required. So long story short, the fix for the Treo 700 and 755 is in the background while the fix for the 650 is done by manually enabling an option. If the hack is installed in the Palm's RAM it will automatically loan on reboot even though an icon or any other option will not appear. Regards.
    Hmm. I'm a bit confused. I used the hack on my 650 and unmasked the DUN enabling feature. But, I had to "enable" DUN when I wanted to use it and "disable" it when I wanted to turn it off. When it was on, no other internet traffic or phone usage was permitted. In addition, it was only when "enabled" that my mac powerbook could see the 650 as a modem to be used via USB or bluetooth. So, in that situation, the "enabled" or "disabled" option was critical to allowing the computer to use the device as a modem and dramatically effected how the 650 worked (ie; no web browsing or phone use while enabled). If there is no visible option to "enable" or "disable" this feature, I'm confused how to make it work then? What do you do to activate DUN... unless things have changed significantly from the 650, in which case I could use a brief run down on how people make this work.
    On my 700p just install the hack and reboot. You'll know it works when you connect the laptop to the phone (vi BT) and the BT symbol becomes a laptop. Like rogersv said, it does not get enabled like the 650.
    Things have changed. Two different approaches to prohibit thethering. One attempted to disable it completely by hiding the DUN option. You were only able to connect to the internet from the Palm. The other attempts to profit off it, by allowing the phone to determine if the web use is from the Palm itself or through tethering. So on the 650 when attempting to use DUN the phone itself basically said no, you can't do that (hence a hack specific to that). For the 700/755, the phone said alright lets see, "Tower does this account have a PAM plan because he/she is attempting to access the web via thethering, if so please assign me an IP address?". With the hack for the 700/755, (as I understand it) it doesn't ask, it basically says, "He tower I would like an IP address for Palm web usage." BTW, I didn't edit this message, so I apologize in advance, for whatever reason Safari limits the message window to only displayinng a couple of words. Regards.
    BTW, since DUN wasn't an option for the 650 it needs to be manually changed on and off in order to use the Palm properly. For the 700/755, DUN is allowed and turns on and off automatically so the phone Palm works properly.
    So basically...if I want to tether and not pay sprint, I can? So long as it's not 2 GBs wortha transfers a month??

I love the word 'hack'.
  14.    #34  
    I've spent an insane amount of time wrestling with Sprint's P.A.M. software.

At times, it would either allow the function via Bluetooth OR via usb. In other words, it would set it up for one or the other, so I couldn't choose different methods at different times (on the same computer, of course).

I've found a work-around for it, so far, but it's been a serious pain - especially since Sprint's queue is so doggone long that I didn't get to talk to anyone about it all weekend.

If this is how they treat people who are trying to do it "the right way," one might see why some are tempted to do it "the wrong way."
    why people don't just get the program 'USB Modem" and be done with it confuses me. It just works, and works well. (at least with my mac). No, it doesn't work with bluetooth on the 755p yet, but I bet it will soon enough. I kinda prefer the tethering via usb anyway, as the laptop keeps the 755 charged, and the data transfer is faster. And.....it doesn't use DUN.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post
    why people don't just get the program 'USB Modem" and be done with it confuses me. It just works, and works well. (at least with my mac). No, it doesn't work with bluetooth on the 755p yet, but I bet it will soon enough. I kinda prefer the tethering via usb anyway, as the laptop keeps the 755 charged, and the data transfer is faster. And.....it doesn't use DUN.
    The latest version of USBModem does in fact support Bluetooth for the 755p. I just got a new BT card for my laptop so I'll try it out tonight.

And it does use DUN, that's how it works. You set up a DUN connection on your PC, it dials #777 and logs in with your Vision login info.
    ditto.. have USB modem on my Macbook Pro and the 775p and it works great!
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    The latest version of USBModem does in fact support Bluetooth for the 755p. I just got a new BT card for my laptop so I'll try it out tonight.

And it does use DUN, that's how it works. You set up a DUN connection on your PC, it dials #777 and logs in with your Vision login info.

Not to argue the point, as I am certainly not experienced enough with tethering to be an expert, but this is how I understand it. USB modem uses its OWN dun, not the palms or sprints. Matter of fact, it specifically has a section of the setup where you disable the internal dun and resets. This is what distinguishes it (and the online PAM charges) from the sprint solution.

Now those of you that understand this stuff more than I, have at it and clarify. I just know it works well (with built in DUN disabled) and am not being charged PAM fees.
    Not to argue the point, as I am certainly not experienced enough with tethering to be an expert, but this is how I understand it. USB modem uses its OWN dun, not the palms or sprints. Matter of fact, it specifically has a section of the setup where you disable the internal dun and resets. This is what distinguishes it (and the online PAM charges) from the sprint solution.

Now those of you that understand this stuff more than I, have at it and clarify. I just know it works well (with built in DUN disabled) and am not being charged PAM fees.
    I wasn't arguing about which DUN system USBModem uses, whether it's the Treo's built in software or that provided by the app. Your comment stated explicitly, "And.....it doesn't use DUN." All I said is that it does use DUN. The PC uses the Treo to establish a dial-up networking connection with Sprint to access the internet. I never said the built in DUN software was what made the connection. However while we're on the topic, the option to suppress built in DUN says it's specifically for Bluetooth connections. The app doesn't say one way or the other whether it uses it's on DUN software or just runs off the Treo's built in software.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post

Letsgo, hope you are right about the bluetooth being supported. I am basing my comment about usb tethering only, on this comment made on their site (and the readme file that came with the app)

"Support for Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p and Treo 755p (USB only) smartphones"

So Bluetooth support in a new version for the 755, would indeed be a nice touch. I tried it with my version 1.58, and no such luck yet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast