1.    #1  
    Using Card Info, format your card. Make sure you use a long volume name when you name it. Voila! Your new card is now unreadable.

I finally got a Trancend 4gb card for my 755 to match the old card that I had on my 650 (that worked just fine and didn't need to be changed).

I was having trouble reading and using it, and was assuming it needed to be formatted. I proceeded to do that and named it "XXXX 4b Mini" (XXXX=my name).

Splat! It now comes up "Unable to format" when trying to format it again. The volume name came up as SDC instead of what I asked so I figured I pick a shorter name. How bad do you have to engineer something to make it possible to break it with it's native software. Wow. Now what? RMA? Another month without the features I enjoyed with my 650. Thanks Palm! Thanks for another downgrade with your upgrade.

By the way, I wonder why my card came with a little SD-Card adapter when every reader I try doesn't recognize it? Sure, I can buy a new one that understands SHDC, but why not just buy that sort of reader? So much for backwards compatibility.

*Hmmf*
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869 View Post
    By the way, I wonder why my card came with a little SD-Card adapter when every reader I try doesn't recognize it? Sure, I can buy a new one that understands SHDC, but why not just buy that sort of reader? So much for backwards compatibility.
    The SDHC specification, and most vendor documents, clearly state that SDHC is *NOT* backwards compatible with non-SDHC devices. It is a new technology.

-B
    Quote Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
    The SDHC specification, and most vendor documents, clearly state that SDHC is *NOT* backwards compatible with non-SDHC devices. It is a new technology.

-B
    So your saying SDHC is not compatible with windows xp or vista? your dumb.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Uh, he is saying its not backwards compatible with SD readers made before SDHC existed.. nothing to do with the OS.
    Hes not dumb.

Whats more accurate is you need the SDHC hotfix for XP. XP naitively will NOT read a SDHC card so thats accurate. That is unless you have a SDHC compatible card reader.

Nice way to treat a fellow poster BTW. He was trying to help out and you go and call him names. NICE.

ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    No, what he is saying is that you need a device that is SDHC compatible, like a card reader, pda, camera, etc. Old devices won't read/write/format the SDHC appropiately even if sometimes they can access it.

Again, for SDHC you NEED an SDHC compatible card reader, no way around that.
    Oops I understood that the first poster was talking about formatting his card in windows; not on his treo. My bad. He is not dumb. Atleast, not for the second post :P im the dumbass
    It's ironic that he stated "your dumb" rather than "you're dumb". FYI, personal attacks are not warranted or wanted here.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    It's ironic that he stated "your dumb" rather than "you're dumb". FYI, personal attacks are not warranted or wanted here.
    Yeah I was going to point that out but I didnt want to get down to his level so thanks!

(not saying you'RE wrong for doing so I just didnt feel like it, I wouldve been a LOT meaner. )
    There is no spoon.
    I'm getting bad vibes here....(Lupe starts to move away from this thread)
    Good Lupe good!

hahaha

Nah Lupe dont be scared! You'RE invited to any thread Im in for sure!
    There is no spoon.
    Last time I open my mouth!....

Just kidding. Yes, I meant that you need an SDHC compatible device/reader. Just because the card fits into the slot, it doesn't mean it will work.

-B
  13.    #13  
    Oops... *closes can of worms*.

Clarify: I was NOT formatting in Windows, I ruined the card using Cardinfo on the palm.

I can't read it in windows because I don't have the proper card reader.

Furthermore, I'm not as dumb as I thought because resetting the Treo "brought my card back to life".

So- Lesson: Don't make big volume names. Buy a new card reader.

No one is dumb. We are all friends.
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Good Lupe good!

hahaha

Nah Lupe dont be scared! You'RE invited to any thread Im in for sure!
    Thanks, seem all is good around here now ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869 View Post
    Oops... *closes can of worms*.

Clarify: I was NOT formatting in Windows, I ruined the card using Cardinfo on the palm.

I can't read it in windows because I don't have the proper card reader.

Furthermore, I'm not as dumb as I thought because resetting the Treo "brought my card back to life".

So- Lesson: Don't make big volume names. Buy a new card reader.

No one is dumb. We are all friends.
    Glad to see card is back to life now How is that card for you? I heard that 4GB cards skip when playing music, is that true for you as well? I guess I am safe as I usually don't rename my cards
    I cant speak for the specific card the OP is using but Ive got a standard 4GB SDHC San Disk card and it works great! No more or less skipping than normal no matter what card I use.

To the issue of naming cards. Ive found the only way I can get the names I want on my cards is to use Palms tool. Formatting using my windows box I cant get any cool names I want.
    There is no spoon.
    Oh cool there is a san disk card eh, where did you find that, only one I heard of was Transcend....thing. Nevermind, found it, sounds great! I always use SanDisk cards, haven't failed me yet
    Yeah Im a SanDisk snob.
    There is no spoon.
    I'm elated since installing that SDHC fix into my laptop - cards now "just work" whereas before I had trouble with anything over 16MB at times (no joke).

Here are links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923293

http://thehotfixshare.net/download/i.../Windows%20XP/
    (find 923293 and download)

(No warranty from me that your experience will match mine, so cavaet emptor.)
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Glad to see card is back to life now How is that card for you? I heard that 4GB cards skip when playing music, is that true for you as well? I guess I am safe as I usually don't rename my cards
    I got 2 Transcend 4gb miniSDHC cards I got from datamem.com and they work great with no skipping on either audio or video with Coreplayer and TCPMP. Transfers from and to PC are fast and reliable, I did reformat both of them on the Palm the first time I used them, no idea if that has anything to do with the non skipping vs skipping cards.