1.    #1  
    I got my 680 in Dec, now I noticed more and more there's little white specs behind or in my LCD screen. Is this dust or my LCD screen damaged?

PLS Note the screen has always had a Orignal Palm Screen Protector on it.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    I got my 680 in Dec, now I noticed more and more there's little white specs behind or in my LCD screen. Is this dust or my LCD screen damaged?

PLS Note the screen has always had a Orignal Palm Screen Protector on it.
    That happened to me when I water-logged the phone when using too uch water to apply bestskinsever.

Sprint was kind enough to replace.
    I had the same issue w/ my 1st Treo, and was able to return mine to Palm and received a refurb unit. Now I seem to be getting the same dust/dirt under the screen again with the newer one.

Does your phone seem to accumulate the specks in the middle of the screen almost from top to bottom where the earpiece opening is?
    Quick bump here to see if anybody else has seen this problem on their phone.

Phone #2 now has as much accumulation of dust/dirt under the screen (thin line right in the middle) as phone #1 did.

I'm debating taking apart my Treo to clean - think this is a good idea? Or just try to send this one back again to Palm?
    Yeah I've noticed dust getting onto the screen as well. I've had the same problem with other phones (with no touch screen) and I usually just take it apart to clean the screen. The problem with the Treo is that the dust seems to be getting in between the touch screen overlay and the actual glass screen. I imagine they're glued together or something. It'll NOT be an easy job to take the overlay off from the glass screen, and there's no telling if I'll be able to stick them back together again or if the touch screen would still work.
    i hope i dont get this problem with my new 680 because i carry it in my pocket, i had this really bad when i had my moto razr, i had to almost clean it once a week
    ATT Treo 680 Crimson
    A follow-up to this is I saw a post by E2EK1EL who took the Treo apart and saw you'd need to separate the screen part to get at the dust. It's one thing to take the phone apart, but I don't think I'd want to go that far.

Maybe we need to do a poll to see how people carry their phone. Mine is in the pocket with no screen protector/case.
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtyD View Post
    A follow-up to this is I saw a post by E2EK1EL who took the Treo apart and saw you'd need to separate the screen part to get at the dust. It's one thing to take the phone apart, but I don't think I'd want to go that far.

Maybe we need to do a poll to see how people carry their phone. Mine is in the pocket with no screen protector/case.
    I carry mine the same way, how long did it take yours to start showing up? im crossing fingers that i don't have this problem
    ATT Treo 680 Crimson
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtyD View Post
    Does your phone seem to accumulate the specks in the middle of the screen almost from top to bottom where the earpiece opening is?
    I now have a vertical "line" of dust, nearly central beneath the earpiece, in the lower half of the screen; visible as white specks with the screen off, and less noticeable dark - but still annoying - specks with the screen on.

The line is a couple of mm thick at its densest, spreading out to 3-4mm. It's appeared relatively suddenly, though I haven't done anything different to/with my Treo of late.

The Treo 680 is 8 months old and still in warranty - this would seem like a fault (I think it's reasonable for people to keep their phone in their pocket!). I have a screen protector, though taking care of your screen is kind of pointless if this happens.

Is this common, or am I just unlucky?
    Last edited by krpage; 10/31/2007 at 12:08 PM.
    ^krpage - Welcome to the club! (Sorry to hear about it). I can't answer if we're just unlucky, but this is my 2nd phone that has had the same issue. I'm thinking I may just wait another month or two (closer to my end of warranty period), and then swap it for a refurb one through Palm's warranty.

^^Coreyhm1 - My 1st 680 took only 2 months or so to get as bad as my 2nd Treo is now (which I've had for close to 5 months).
    Well, i'll hope it doesn't happen to me.. i havn't even owned it a month yet.

Is it unlocked, ATT or Cingular branded? i suppose that wouldn't matter though
    ATT Treo 680 Crimson
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreyhm1 View Post
    Is it unlocked, ATT or Cingular branded? i suppose that wouldn't matter though
    I doubt it would matter, unless they're from different production runs, I guess; mine is an unlocked model (UK).