Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    switching from a 700 to 755...

have a back up on my PC so if I hotsync under the same username I can just move all my apps, settins over to the 755...

I did this before when switching between 700ps...

But, I dont want to move ALL my apps and settings, I just want to hotsync certain things, like contacts, calendar and memos, is this possible?

I would rather reinstall my apps one by one on the new device but I dont want to loose my contacts ect.

TIA for any help

ps- is there anyway to move exactly what is on my existing SD card over to a miniSD?

I have some backups on there to use with NVBackup, pix and TONS of music....it would be easier to move it from one card to another.
    I'm a Pre gal now
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I hate to disagree, but I've upgraded from 600 to 650, 650 to 700, and now soon 700 to 755. just install new cd and sync.

maybe because I don't have much 3rd party stuff. never had a problem.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Cathartic as I understand it you are usually better off doing a clean install. You can hotsync under the old name to get the PIM information, as long as you rename the backup folder first. The link SprintTreo gave has the procedure. It is easy to switch between the same model, but when you change models a clean install with the new desktop software installed over the old is best.

If you have a card reader you can transfer the files from the SD card to your desktop, and then put them on the mini SD card. I am not sure it is a good idea to use the old NVbackups that you have made unless you do a selective restore. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    I hate to disagree, but I've upgraded from 600 to 650, 650 to 700, and now soon 700 to 755. just install new cd and sync.
    I agree....But you MUST install the new included Palm Desktop CD (you won't notice any difference) and follow the instuctions on the page. Any files that aren't compatable will go into an file marked incompatable on your computer.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  5.    #6  
    3. Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold) ...Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea. (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)

HELP! how do I do this??

I went to Programs in my PC and found Palm but I see no way to change the name of this folder, what am I doing wrong??
    I'm a Pre gal now
  6.    #7  
    oh and this is another NOOB question but how do i locate my new devices id number?

I think I need it to reinstall Kinoma....unless there is an easier way
    I'm a Pre gal now
    First, it's not the program folder for Palm you are looking for. What you want to do is go to your "My Computer" icon on your desktop. Go to the C: drive and then click on "Program Files" then "PalmOne" then your username. You will then see the backup folder.

When you see the folder you want to rename...right click on it and you will see an option to "rename". Rename it and when you hotsync again there will be a new backup folder.

The ID number should be on the box the phone came in if that's the ID number you're talking about?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    its funny that in the Palm (manufacturer) website, it does not say any of this is needed and in all of my previous upgrades, all I did was this:

1. install new disk
    2. hotsync

done.

never had any problems.

I'm actually hotsyncing now my first time on the 755 and it seems to be running fine. I guess time will tell if it is not right lol. but again, in Palm's website in directions for upgrading, it is a simple process.

It even asked me if I wanted just my contact & calendar etc or if I wanted all previous software. of course I clicked all prev. software, I'll let you guys know if there are any problems.

here it is right from their site:

Migrating data from a previous device

If you have used a Palm OS device before, you can transfer all compatible applications and information from your previous device to your new Treo 755p. This includes your calendar events, contacts, memos, and tasks, as well as your application settings and any compatible third-party applications and files.

When you install Palm Desktop software (which we'll do below), some third-party applications may be quarantined because they are not compatible with the Palm OS software version 5.4.9 on your new device. Quarantined files are not installed on your device, nor are they deleted; these files are placed in a new folder on your computer:

C:\Program Files\Palm\<device name>\PalmOS5 Incompatible Apps.
    On some systems, Palm may be replaced with palmOne or Handspring.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install the desktop software and and sync

Windows Vista Users:
    Before inserting the Palm Software Installation CD, go to www.palm.com/windowsvista to find information about installing Palm Desktop software on Windows Vista.
    Synchronizing means that information you enter in one place - your Treo 755p or your computer - is automatically entered in the other; so there's no need to enter the information twice.

Sync your Treo 755p and your computer frequently to keep your information up-to-date (and backed up) in both locations.

IMPORTANT: You must install the software that came with your Treo 755p even if you already have Palm Desktop software installed on your computer.
    Do not un-install the previous version of Palm Desktop. Install your Treo 755p software over the existing version on your desktop PC.

Insert the Palm Software Installation CD into your desktop PC.
    Install the software:
    Windows: follow the onscreen instructions to install the software.
    Mac: double-click the CD icon, and then double-click PalmSoftware.pkg.
    When prompted, connect your device and your desktop PC.
    The installer will prompt you to sync: press the sync button on the USB sync cable.
    When synchronization is complete, press Applications on your device to view and start using the applications.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
  9.    #10  
    Thanks

when I installed the new PalmDesk top on my PC, it gave me an option to only sync my memos, contacts and calendar, stating other apps werent compatible...

I didnt change the name of the back up folder or anything...

Im kinda scared..lI dont know if this screwed it up

and Im not sure where or what my Device ID is but I dont see it on my box....
    I'm a Pre gal now
    I don't think it's so much that the steps are "necessary", but as Cathearder touched upon, it's probably best to do a clean install. Kind of an opportunity to install the latest versions of software and get rid of various things that don't delete when programs get uninstalled, etc.
  11.    #12  
    ok so I did exactly what I read. synced just my memos, contacts ect. Loaded each app one by one, I only have ptunes deluxe, kinoma 4x, minitones and colorize. I emailed kinoma to switch devices, ptunes was easy, minitones and colorize work fine. and the clean install went well. I had 1 reset while installing chatter but this device seems more stable than my 700 by far. Now...as for chatter... I have 2 gmail accounts. 1 set up perfect and the other will not. keep getting a log in error. emailed chatter, not a software issue they told me to contact google, so I did and waiting to hear back. hopefully this can be fixed.

other than that I am loving the new phone. not many differences, a little less lag and the IM app is cool. I am in love with the form and feel of the phone though, its a lot sleeker. would I be happy with the phone if I paid 600.00 to upgrade from a 700p? probably not. am I satisfied with the phone based on the fact that it cost me the price of my 700 minus 50 dollars and 0 out of pocket? hell yea!

thanks to everyone for the advice and help
    I'm a Pre gal now
    Congrats on your new 755P.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    you guys were right. I checked off the box of installing all previous software etc, and when I was done, there were definetly conflicts.
    had to go back and start clean with only the contacts, calendar etc.
    I then went to my backup folder that I renamed and inserted the phonedb and favorites etc and I think I'm ok now...
    but you guys were right, some of the 3rd party stuff messed up the phone, amazing.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    I also upgraded from a 700p to the 755p. I simply sync'd up the new device and everything transfered. I had Kinoma send me a new license key and I was good to go. The only minor problem I had was that when I sync'd, all of my contacts were duplicated.
    Well to be less of a headache, I would just remove the old Palm desktop and install the new one, hotsync with nothing new just so I can get my name on it, beam over my contacts/todo/calendar/memos and then fresh install each app one by one just to make sure no funny buisness was going on .
  16.    #17  
    I thought I was good to go but now I get some sort of 'jpeg unsupported' error when I launch ptunes. it states that ptunes needs to be reinstalled to correct the problem. after the error pops up the app launches as usual and plays music... I don't know what that is about but I guess I will delete and reinstall ptunes when I get home... I still can't set up my other gmail account set up on chatter... that kinda sucks..
    I'm a Pre gal now
    Sounds like the music has some kind of album art and the jpeg is formatted in some way that doesn't read too good, I know sometimes Photoshop does this and its usualy remedied by taking the albumart over to MS Paint and save as jpeg and that usually fixes the problem.
  18.    #19  
    I think I am going to hard reset my 755 and hopefully this will remedy both my issues with ptunes and chatter. so my question is in order to just transfer my memos calander and contacts only back to the 755 would I take the same steps as listed above? just rename the backup folder than hotsync and start all over?
    I'm a Pre gal now
    I would say go ahead and save your backup folder just in case, hotsync, them just beam your PIM data to the 755P and then install your apps manually, just to be on the safe side ^_^
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast