1.    #1  
    Some may have seen my previous posts about my unlocked 680 and problems with dust/dirt accumulating underneath my screen.

After calling Palm, I received a replacement last week, and I already am starting to see the same problem happen again. I do not use a screen protector or case, and keep the phone in my pocket when not sitting on my desk. I don't think this type of usage is beyond the ordinary, and I would expect the device to be dust/dirt free - especially underneath the screen area.

So, I bought the phone in mid-January, and received a refurb replacement last week. What are my chances that I could get Palm to refund my purchase price for the unlocked unit?

Or will this be a long fight and something I'll be stuck with?
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtyD View Post
    Some may have seen my previous posts about my unlocked 680 and problems with dust/dirt accumulating underneath my screen.

After calling Palm, I received a replacement last week, and I already am starting to see the same problem happen again. I do not use a screen protector or case, and keep the phone in my pocket when not sitting on my desk. I don't think this type of usage is beyond the ordinary, and I would expect the device to be dust/dirt free - especially underneath the screen area.

So, I bought the phone in mid-January, and received a refurb replacement last week. What are my chances that I could get Palm to refund my purchase price for the unlocked unit?

Or will this be a long fight and something I'll be stuck with?
    It sounds like an unusual problem (never seen it with my 680 and I carry it in my pocket too) and it is hard to imagine how you could accumulate dirt and dust under the screen in a week - although I suppose it depends on the state of your pockets . Do you mean at the edge of the screen, or completely under? I think you might struggle to convince Palm that it is a fault with the TREO.
    Without a screen protector it seems to be asking for trouble; Palm even includes two with units they ship out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Without a screen protector it seems to be asking for trouble; Palm even includes two with units they ship out.
    But a screen protector doesnt really go right to the edge, so I would imagine, if anything, that it would help trap stuff at the edge/under the plastic?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    It sounds like an unusual problem (never seen it with my 680 and I carry it in my pocket too) and it is hard to imagine how you could accumulate dirt and dust under the screen in a week - although I suppose it depends on the state of your pockets . Do you mean at the edge of the screen, or completely under? I think you might struggle to convince Palm that it is a fault with the TREO.
    I wish I had taken a picture of the phone I had sent back.....though not sure if the dust/dirt particles would have shown up that well. For me it starts to show right in the middle of the screen, starting from the top. It's almost as if it gets in through the ear piece, and works its way down.

I do keep my phone upside-down in the pocket, so when I take it out it's orientated in my hand the right way - I wonder if that has something to do with it? It is an odd problem, and only heard of one other person on the site seeing the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    But a screen protector doesnt really go right to the edge, so I would imagine, if anything, that it would help trap stuff at the edge/under the plastic?
    Well, I don't know, I just looked at it really carefully. There's really no noticeable dirt around the screen protector. There's maybe a half millimeter space anyway, and I don't know what in the world you could be concerned about. Even if there were a fringe of dirt there, which there isn't, it's such a minute area, how could it matter to anything?

I normaly put my phone in a case, very rarely in my pocket, but I can't imagine this being a problem. I'm not sure this is a Treo problem, it's something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Well, I don't know, I just looked at it really carefully. There's really no noticeable dirt around the screen protector. There's maybe a half millimeter space anyway, and I don't know what in the world you could be concerned about. Even if there were a fringe of dirt there, which there isn't, it's such a minute area, how could it matter to anything?

I normaly put my phone in a case, very rarely in my pocket, but I can't imagine this being a problem. I'm not sure this is a Treo problem, it's something else.
    You have misunderstood me ...again.
    I am not concerned about it at all, but it sounded like you thought the lack of a screen protector could be a problem, cos you said "Without a screen protector it seems to be asking for trouble; Palm even includes two with units they ship out.."

The point I was simply trying to make is that I dont think a lack of a screen protector could explain DurtyD's problem of having dirt/dust under the screen, because I cant imagine how a screen protector would prevent that. I was making the point that if anything, the small 1/2 mm gap at the edge of the screen protector (that I too have) would provide an extra little ridge where stuff could get trapped if you had a really dirty pocket - the protector would not stop stuff from getting under the screen itself.

This is getting like a Marx brothers routine.

Last night I shot an elephant in my pyjamas.