Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Andrew,
    This is very interesting to me. I finally got quit of Cingular's contract and the issues I was having with the Treo 650s and 680s and am a Sprint Customer now. When I moved to Sprint I steered clear of the Treos because of the other issues, but can't help wondering how much of the issues were caused from the actual signal & reception. I got a Sanyo SCP-8400 Flip phone and am very impressed with the reception. But I REALLY wanted a Treo a year ago and still want one today.

Although the phone & PDA is working O.K. for me, when the Treo DID get reception and I COuld utilize the combined PDA format , it was sooooo very nice! I do miss a lot of the Treo features, that a regular phone just doesn't have. Since I am still within my first thiry days and am not quite enamoured with this phone, what experience or comparisons do you have with the Sanyo vs. Treo 755p?

I don't want to sacrifice connectivity, for convenience of a combined device. If the Sanyo phone is still better at reception I'll stick with it and continue to use my T3.

regards,
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    A phones signal has 2 factors distance and object in the way to the tower and the phones radio itself. Phone radios can only be so powerful and the older phones had more powerful radios than todays newer ones.

Next to the sanyo phones on sprint I have yet to see another phone get as good as reception as the treo.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Just raw signal strength isn't enough to say whether reception is "better" or "worse". The 755p might well not receive as much signal, but if the amplifiers within are of better quality and the A/D conversion is better, you'll get better real-world reception.

Tom
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
    Just raw signal strength isn't enough to say whether reception is "better" or "worse". The 755p might well not receive as much signal, but if the amplifiers within are of better quality and the A/D conversion is better, you'll get better real-world reception.

Tom
    Is there any way to imperically test this? People were saying the same thing about the 700 v 650 when it came out. But I found they really were the same.

I have also have heard from people who KNOW that putting a shinny piece of chrome on their Harley add 5-6 horse power
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Oh, I'm sure there is. There's additional information on that debug screen that will tell you about error correction and stuff like that, most likely. Which parameter means what is left as an exercise for the student. :-)

Tom
    OK, here's a total guess for ya. FER is the "frame error rate". Note that it is below the two fields "bad frames" and "total frames". I would guess a phone with better reception, as it were, to have a lower FER percentage.

If that's wrong, don't blame me. :-)
    Last edited by VetPsychWars; 05/22/2007 at 02:30 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12