1.    #1  
    not sure where is best to post this - here in 700p or Sprint, but i'm desperate as i need this phone replaced quickly - any/ all advice would be greatly appreciated!

my screen on my sprint 700p treo died this week while i was on vacation. I called sprint and they told me to just go to a store and if they can't fix it they'd replace it. but, i didn't have time then. I am now i'm back home. I called my local store and they told me i need to go to a repair facility. Next I called spint and they said i need to file a claim with the insurance company they use.

i do have the protection plan. The sprint guy on phone also says 'you'll have to pay $50' - this is before anyone knows what's wrong with the phone.

anyone know what the proper procedure is on replacing a phone with the protection plan?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    not sure where is best to post this - here in 700p or Sprint, but i'm desperate as i need this phone replaced quickly - any/ all advice would be greatly appreciated!

my screen on my sprint 700p treo died this week while i was on vacation. I called sprint and they told me to just go to a store and if they can't fix it they'd replace it. but, i didn't have time then. I am now i'm back home. I called my local store and they told me i need to go to a repair facility. Next I called spint and they said i need to file a claim with the insurance company they use.

i do have the protection plan. The sprint guy on phone also says 'you'll have to pay $50' - this is before anyone knows what's wrong with the phone.

anyone know what the proper procedure is on replacing a phone with the protection plan?
    You don't need insurance. Just goto your local repair sprint store and they will replace it free of charge right on the spot.

Save yourself $50
    Sprint Treo 650 -->Treo 700p --> Treo 755p Burgundy --> Palm Pre
  3.    #3  
    that sounds great, but why would they replace it?
    They'll replace it if they can't fix it.

Be sure that you back everything up before you take it in in case they do replace it.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I carry two types of insurance on my phone through Sprint. They call it the Total Equipment Protection

Total Equipment Protection combines all of the coverage of the Equipment Replacement Program and the Equipment Service and Repair Program in one complete package.

One is for loss, theft, damage. There's a $50 deductable on this

The other protects the functionality/electronics of the phone. No deductable.

As long as the phone isnt damaged or noticably abused you should be able to get it covered under this at no charge.
  6.    #6  
    i too have the protection plan (TEP). so i don't need to call Sprint and go through the insurance program? All i need to do is go to the local store (not even a repair facility) and they'll swap it out?

all this at any store?
    I went through the Sprint "insurance" labyrinth a while back. Basically they don't train staff very well, and if you aren't aware of what you have and/or get a rep that's "out of it" you may pay more than you should for the replacement.

If you have insurance (I'm only talking for buying the total $7 one), they're supposed to replace defective phones (in the store if they have one, or advance replacement) without charging you another dime. If you damaged the phone, then you've gotta pay $50 bucks to get a replacement. If it just needs repairs, then they aren't supposed to charge you anything.

HOWEVER- I found that even longer-term corporate store managers are clueless about how this works - the manager agreed with a rep who attempted to charge me $50 bucks for replacing an obviously faulty device (and they pulled up my account and knew I was fully insured). I called the customer care, and even THAT person thought there was a $50 charge for insurance replacements of warranty issues. Had to go all the way to escalations to finally get them to acknowledge that if you have the insurance you don't pay $50 for warranty replacements, and they finally handled the issue (and claimed they'd educate their staff... umm yeah...).

Just walk into a corporate store with your phone, grab the flyer with the insurance details, then do your best to have the "customer service" rep abide by the details of what you've been paying for, hopefully the manager will be less clueless than the one I had. If you can show them their own flyer from their own store you may have a good chance of getting them to do the right thing without having to appeal to the gods in Kansas.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I have a 700p and Sprint TEP. About a month or so ago, I had the misfortune of dropping my Treo on tiled floor. The screen cracked. I brought it in to my local sprint store that had a repair facility. Showed them the cracked screen. They handed it to the technician. I was told to come back in an hour.

An hour passed and I inquired about my phone. I was told that they could not fix it and that I would receive a replacement 700p. They would mail it to the store and it was my choice if I wanted to hold on to the Treo while I waited. The screen was functional in the visual sense but not able to register my finger presses.

After a about a weeks wait I returned to the store and I received a refurbished Treo sans battery. It was in better physical shape than the original unit. And free of charge. Thanks sprint! :-)
    yeah most want to just nail you with the $50 deductible fee. My 650 was in perfect condition, something internal made it drop calls like crazy.

i complained and complained, called retentions every day. They offered me a new 700p for $299, then $249, then told me to use my insurance and they would give me a $50 service credit towards the cost of the deductible, which they did.

I went up to one specific store that always swapped my 650 out when I had problems with it. They looked at my 650 and said they were going to replace it with another 650, but it was out of stock. I was told to call in a few days.

So a few days later I went back to the same store, told them the situation and was expecting a refurb 650. Well, turned out they still didnt have the 650 in stock, so I got a BRAND NEW 700p, FREE!

Plus my 50 service credit

Plus, from all the dropped calls I was complaining about, I have first incoming minute free on my account.

Moral of the story: Dont accept what the first, second, third...or whatever number person tells you. Keep at them until you get what you want. You will find the right person and opportunity to get what you want.
  10.    #10  
    just got back from the sprint repair store - dropped the phone off, came back and they had replaced the screen - no cost and no questions asked! thanks everyone for your help! i wish i had done this down in orlando as i had all my info, schedule and disney guide right bought specifically for the trip on the phone! if i knew it was this easy i would have!