View Poll Results: What will you do when the Maintenance Release (MR) is available?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mine is very buggy and I will update ASAP

30 18.63%
  • Mine is a little buggy and I will update ASAP

50 31.06%
  • Mine is a not buggy at all but I will update ASAP

17 10.56%
  • Mine is very buggy and I will wait to see if others are having problems before updaing

7 4.35%
  • Mine is a little buggy and I will wait to see if others are having problems before updating

37 22.98%
  • Mine is not buggy and I will wait to see if others are having problems before updaing

16 9.94%
  • Mine is not buggy and I will probably do nothing (why take a risk?)

1 0.62%
  • The MR will never come. Palm is sticking it to us! Let's have a protest!

3 1.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I will wait to read the opinions of others before I try it.

Mine isn't really having any issues and I'm in no hurry.
    Same here
    Never had any problems with Palm firmware updates and I've done several. No reason to delay here even if my 700P is fairly stable. I hope the BT issues get resolved though since I may start using it with my new laptop.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    and as a "power user" who checks 2x/day for the update - it goes on asap....really what is more fun that playing with your toys ... adding stuff and then messing it up and fixing it... i cant wait for the MR
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I've been away for a while- are the tools to fiddle with the 650 roms likely to work on the 700p MR?
    As a Vzn 650 user... I'm gonna wait and see how all you beta-testers do with the MR. If the MR fixes all or most problems, I'll buy a slightly used 700-P (no contract) and immediately apply the MR. That is my hope. If the MR does not bring the 700-P into 755-P territory, and there is still a lot of problems with the 700-P, then I'll seriously, but reluctantly, consider a 755-P (with contract, hating the lack of a traditional SD card). The 755-p looks very tempting, but I really like SD. Opps! I should not have said that! Now Vzn/Palm has an incentive to mess up the MR.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    ...a poll shows that the majority of users are relatively satisfied with their 700P's. With 68 votes, only... 19 percent say their Treo is very buggy.
    Fully acknowledging that this is a very small sample size, for a mass-market consumer electronic device in the year 2007 to have a 19% "very buggy" response is absolutely ASTOUNDING (and not in a good way!). To put this in perspective, I hear that "very buggy" ratings went to only 18.5% of the Lucas electrical systems in mid-60s British sportscars.

(Okay, I just made that stat up. It was actually probably more like 185%. At least when it rained.)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    Fully acknowledging that this is a very small sample size, for a mass-market consumer electronic device in the year 2007 to have a 19% "very buggy" response is absolutely ASTOUNDING...
    I wonder what a different unscientific poll would say about another "mass-market" products, like say...Windows (sales well into the billions).
    Just a guess, but I'll bet over 19% over users would say their computer is "buggy" or "very buggy".
    Would that be astounding?
    Hi tech will always be, to some extent, buggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    I wonder what a different unscientific poll would say about another "mass-market" products, like say...Windows (sales well into the billions).
    Just a guess, but I'll bet over 19% over users would say their computer is "buggy" or "very buggy".
    Would that be astounding?
    Two comments:

1) For a long time, Windows had a near-monopoly, so while people complained, they had no choice. That (a near monopoly) is definitely not the case in smartphones/PDAs.

2) I'll bet you'd find most people would agree that Windows 2000 & XP are actually very stable and non-buggy. However, Vista appears to be "back to bugginess" (for now, anyway) and the continual security patches required for all three systems (buggy or not) is absolutely a disgrace. That's why Steve Jobs is smiling from ear-to-ear, and Macs are about to start gaining market share like nobody would've believed possibly.

I'll still take my Treo over any Blackberry out there, primarily because of the better screen resolution. (I use it a lot on the Internet.) But, that said, this is my fourth one in a bit under a year (all replaced under warranty).
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lazaruz View Post
    and as a "power user" who checks 2x/day for the update - it goes on asap....really what is more fun that playing with your toys ... adding stuff and then messing it up and fixing it... i cant wait for the MR
    I'm right there with ya
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    Two comments:

1) For a long time, Windows had a near-monopoly, so while people complained, they had no choice. That (a near monopoly) is definitely not the case in smartphones/PDAs.

2) I'll bet you'd find most people would agree that Windows 2000 & XP are actually very stable and non-buggy. However, Vista appears to be "back to bugginess" (for now, anyway) and the continual security patches required for all three systems (buggy or not) is absolutely a disgrace. That's why Steve Jobs is smiling from ear-to-ear, and Macs are about to start gaining market share like nobody would've believed possibly.

I'll still take my Treo over any Blackberry out there, primarily because of the better screen resolution. (I use it a lot on the Internet.) But, that said, this is my fourth one in a bit under a year (all replaced under warranty).
    Not to get into this again with another person......

What you consider a bug may not be a bug to me. See I don't think that lag is a bug, but other consider it to be a bug. I think that something like MP3 stuttering is a bug, and since mine doesn't have that problem I wouldn't consider my Treo buggy. So as with all stats/polls they are going to be biased based on the opinions of what people consider a bug and what they don't.
    I don't want to divert the point of this thread, which is to find out what people will do with the MR. my only point in noticing the percentages, was to confirm that most people are relatively happy with their 700P's. If you look at a lot the threads here, it seems like the majority of people complain about the all the problems of the 700P.
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    What you consider a bug may not be a bug to me.
    Yes, agreed. But I think you'd have to agree that a permanant "Access Powered Endless Loop" (my first two units) or a headphone jack that still thinks the headphones are plugged in even when they're not, and thus cuts off the regular microphone and speaker (my third unit), as well as completely unreliable Bluetooth (all four of my units) constitute "bugs." However, I admittedly don't know what were considered "bugs" by the people in that survey.
    I'm definitely waiting. My Treo's fine -- I don't want to ruin a good thing.
    if you r using the hack i bet the fix that

Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    As long as it doesn't screw up my tethering it to a laptop (and cause any other major problems) I'm in.

Gary
    I will update right away. It can't make things much worse. I've done enough of these to be comfortable with them, but if it gets bricked then it hastens my departure from Palm devices and I start looking for a different phone (and possibly different carrier - I'm out-of-contract with Sprint).
    Interesting. Looks like a vast majority think their Treo 700p's are just a little buggy or not buggy. I guess it just goes to prove the squeaky wheels are the ones in need of grease

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I love my 700 and its a little buggy but Im going to wait a few days or a week or so to see what happens.

The BT issue DOES drive me crazy tho. I cant stand loosing connection with my earpiece for NO REASON. Drives me crazy.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    It's all about perception. The overwhelming majority think it's very buggy to a little buggy compared to an extreme minority that don't think it's buggy at all. The question should be more direct about the bugs. Are they saying buggy as in one of the bugs that will be fixed by the MR? Spotty BT, Ptunes skipping, text msg delays, program switching lag. Not sure if the spontaneous resets gets into that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Interesting. Looks like a vast majority think their Treo 700p's are just a little buggy or not buggy. I guess it just goes to prove the squeaky wheels are the ones in need of grease
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I suspect if the MR is good (ie works like the 755P) people will be surprised how much faster the 700P will seem to operate.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I had a 600, a 650, and just recently got a 700p.

At first i tried versamail with the EAS update. For me that made mine slow as hell and buggy.

I did i hard reset to get rid of versacrash and the eas patch and now use goodlink for email. Goodlink seems to me to be a giant hack (it takes over everything it can- like the borg- lol)- yet I can't believe how fast and reset free the 700p is.

I'm running everything on my 700p that i had on the 650- except no more chattermail as I'm doing the GOOD thing now. And I don't use the app to automatically adjust the brightness since it doesn't seem to work right for me on the 700p. And I added obfuscate on the 700p to hide the built in functions that GOOD replaces.

So in my humble opinion many people's problems are eas and versamail- so if that's fixed on the 755 then the MR should doll them up fine. But my nemesis is a talking duck so take my opinion as you will....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast