1.    #1  
    I am a new treo owner and have NEVER owned a treo at all.

First off let me say I do like it, but I have some questions.

I set up my Gmail account but when I click "get" my messages I am not getting them. I just checked my gmail account and saw that I have 3 msgs and yet when I press get i'm not getting them.

I would like to set up MP3's as ringtones but I dont have a memory card yet and I will be buying one but not for another week or so. How the hell do I transfer MP3's to the internal memory? I tried using Palm Quick Install but it gives me the error message that it requires a SD card.

What the hell is PUSH email? No clue what that means.

What programs should I get for this puppy?

What GPS receiver should i get?

What is the best GPS software for Treo's?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by MaynardLD50; 05/21/2007 at 12:06 AM.
    You do need a MiniSD card for mp3's. Palm internal memory can only store palms pdb and prc files. As for apps to recommend, DialbyPhoto to replace that age ol phone interface. Pockettunes delux to listen to online radio . SkinUI to skin the interface to make it look like OSX, Vista, etc. Also zLauncher to skin the launcher and save memory by launching apps from the memory card.
    Lupe! He's a n00b, you're gonna have him installing everything under the sun and then he's gonna be on here saying the Treo sucks in a week because he won't know why it's acting all wonky... My responses are in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by MaynardLD50 View Post
    I am a new treo owner and have NEVER owned a treo at all.

First off let me say I do like it, but I have some questions.

I set up my Gmail account but when I click "get" my messages I am not getting them. I just checked my gmail account and saw that I have 3 msgs and yet when I press get i'm not getting them.

I would like to set up MP3's as ringtones but I dont have a memory card yet and I will be buying one but not for another week or so. How the hell do I transfer MP3's to the internal memory? I tried using Palm Quick Install but it gives me the error message that it requires a SD card.

Using a card reader, once you get your card will make transferring MP3s faster. Also, you'll need a third party app like Minitones to be able to use the MP3s as ringtones. Minitones will allow you to edit them to a suitable sized file and then export the finished product to your Sounds App. You want to shorten the MP3s you choose because the ringtones are stored in internal memory and can eat it up pretty quick if you use them for most of your contacts.

What the hell is PUSH email? No clue what that means.

PUSH email is when your email is forwarded or pushed to you instead of you having to retrieve it. You need a third party app to do this, too. Chatter is the popular choice here.

What programs should I get for this puppy?

You should start by getting an Uninstall program to monitor any future apps you choose to add. Uninstall Manager will delete ALL the files associated with a program should you decide you no longer want it on your Treo. I would also strongly suggest a backup program to do scheduled backups to your mini SD card in case your Treo ever needs to be hard reset, you lose database files or find yourself with corrupted databases.

What GPS receiver should i get?

What is the best GPS software for Treo's?

I don't know anything about GPS...sorry

Thanks guys!
    I would recommend taking things very slowly and being patient. You've never owned a Treo before and they can be temperamental. People here with years of heavy Treo use, still screw their devices up from time to time and occasionally it's not just a simple restore from backup fix. You want to learn as much as you can before just loading apps left and right. Have fun with your new toy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I would recommend taking things very slowly and being patient. You've never owned a Treo before and they can be temperamental. People here with years of heavy Treo use, still screw their devices up from time to time and occasionally it's not just a simple restore from backup fix. You want to learn as much as you can before just loading apps left and right.
    Okay, that is the best advise I've ever seen on this board.

I would also strongly suggest a backup program to do scheduled backups to your mini SD card in case your Treo ever needs to be hard reset, you lose database files or find yourself with corrupted databases.
    Next best. Even if you hotsync all the time. I like to tell a story about being at a clients early one morning and all of a sudden my 650 did a hard reset on it's own. I lost everything including phone numbers I really needed. Yes I had it backed up at home but was hours away from being able to hotsync. That's when I bought Backup Buddy and never regretted it. As a backup to my backup I downloaded the free NV Backup and now only use that. Put it on and use it, hopefully you won't need it but it could be a lifesaver.
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodID=121637

Now my one piece of advise. I always read the reviews of the applications listed here. If even one of them says "this program made my Treo crash", I don't install it. I don't need any of them that bad. I've learned tons here, but don't even want to know about some of the things these people do with their Treos.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    The best GPS software for Palm is TomTom. Mapopolis is good, and uses the what most call superior Navteq maps as compared to TomTom's slightly worse Teleatlas ones, but the interface for TomTom is miles ahead of Mapopolis.
    Lupe! He's a n00b, you're gonna have him installing everything under the sun and then he's gonna be on here saying the Treo sucks in a week because he won't know why it's acting all wonky... My responses are in bold.
    Mesa sorry I just can't help it, its not much...really, I did limit myself there
    Just letting him know that he doesn't have to be bored with the UI, its that that makes the experience of your Treo much better.
  7.    #7  
    Is there a shortcut to get to alerts? On my sanyo it had a missed alerts button I was wondering can I program the side button to go to alerts? I didn't see anything that said alerts in the options. Thanks for the great advice so far I got chatter and that Backup tool but I need to get a memory card today I think i'll buy a 4gb version.
    Hold down the center button.
    your alerts are handled by your calendar app (which Im sure you know) so what Ive done is to set up my canendar prefs to open the calendar app on the "today" screen.

Now the other thing you might want to know is when an alert comes up and you miss it, there will be an icon (you may not know this) blinking in your upper left hand corner of your screen. If you press your center button and keep it pressed, it will go right to that alarm. I dont know if its a snow flake or a bell but that may help you.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Is there a shortcut to get to alerts? On my sanyo it had a missed alerts button I was wondering can I program the side button to go to alerts? I didn't see anything that said alerts in the options. Thanks for the great advice so far I got chatter and that Backup tool but I need to get a memory card today I think i'll buy a 4gb version.
    Hold down the center 5-way button. Also, if you have any alerts you should have a little 'bell' icon flashing in the top right corner of your screen, tapping it will also show any alerts.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  11.    #11  
    Awesome I am starting to enjoy this phone. Chattermail is awesome versamail sucks hard though I am not a fan it doesn't check my mail automatically like chatter does and I even set it to do it.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I like TomTom as well. Haven't use any other gps, but TomTom does everything i would want.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    i was just looking around palm's site, and here you go

http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2608806&creativeID=RMFB|accessories_gps3_199_mir

$200 (after $50 mail in rebate) for the software, maps on SD card (has to be a mini with normal adapter because it says its compatible with the 755p), mount, charger, and the receiver is blue tooth.
  14.    #14  
    Jesus this thing is crashing a TON. I am constantly having to reset the phone by pulling out the battery. It seemed to start after I installed Chattermail.
    That wasn't me!! I didn't say anything about chatter. That is wierd though because a lot of people seem happy with chatter.
    since you have a 755p you have it with Sprint service. You have to have a seperate reciever from Telenav which sells for about 100.00 bucks. then you pay sprint 10 bucks a month for the service of turn by turn directions. The sad part of it is that still to this day palm does not support turn by turn GPS with buying a external box plugged it to it. Hope this helps. www.telenav.com
    The post above didn't make too much sense, so regarding GPS:

Telenav and TomTom are the two main options. Telenav is a monthly fee, but always updated, and also needs to be in a data coverage area. TomTom is a single upfront fee, but you don't get updates as often (and usually not without paying). TomTom has multiple voices, Telenav has one (but apparently speaks the street names.)

Both require an external bluetooth GPS, but you can get those for much cheaper than TomTom or Telenav sell them for.

With regards to Sprint's inclusion of Telenav... if you have a $20 Power Vision plan, you can switch over to the PowerVision Navigation pack. However, it is also possible you might have a $15 Power Vision package (and I think some might even have a $10 Power Vision pack grandfathered in). If you have the cheaper Power Vision packs, Telenav is not included.
    Jesus this thing is crashing a TON. I am constantly having to reset the phone by pulling out the battery.
    Oh, that's classic!!!

That is the post of the year, hands down! Just remember, its a "smartphone."
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."