Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have to confess that as a Sprint Treo 700p user I felt that the Treo 755p was nothing but just a pretty looking Treo 700p and that it wasn't a big deal at all. Well, I changed my mind. First, getting a 4GB min SD card wasn't expensive and getting a SDHC card reader wasn't that bad either. Then, after reading stories saying how much better the 755p performance is when it is compared with the 700p, I am almost sure that even if Palm releases a ROM update for the 700p, it is not going to make it as good as the Treo 755p. Come on guys, Palm has already told us that the lag is a hardware problem because they used the same hardware they used on the Treo 700w. So, I'm not counting on that. Now, another reason why I'm upgrading to a 755p is because how good it feels on my hand. It really feels like you are holding something expensive and classy. The design is just awesome and if you already love Treos in general, the 755p is a must have. After a minute of just looking at a burgundy Treo 755p I felt in love.

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 05/20/2007 at 02:55 AM.
    No regrets here either....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I am also very happy that I made the switch. I am enjoying the 755P very much.
    I don't have the bank roll right now to make the jump... but soon <3
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Boy oh boy were you negative about this beauty. Glad to see you came around. I am glad Palm is slowly listening to us and making some good looking Treos, now I don't have to be embarrased when I pull out my Treo. With the 650 stubby antenna I had to be careful not to pull it out in public lol. Hardly see any phones with antennas. Can't wait for Burgundy phone to be in the store here (also for EVDO towers grrrr)
    Yep, I gotta say aside from the jump from my 300 to the 600, I'm enjoying this upgrade more than the jump from the 600 to the 650 and from that to the 700p. I really love this phone. I go caseless and with a screen protector and I don't even notice it in my pocket at all. I find too, so far anyway, that I no longer get those "but it's kinda big comments" now that I would always have to defend with "yah, but it does this and this and replaces this and this...)
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I have to agree that the minor changes in the form factor do make a bit of difference. I no longer feel like I am carrying a brick in my pocket. It's a trade off in battery performance, but I'll take it.
    Personally, I won't be making such an incremental upgrade unless my 700p dies and Sprint replaces it with a 755, but I'm glad others are happy with their switch.

This is coming from someone who waited 3 years to upgrade his 600 though, so I'm probably not the best barometer

Anyway, the big problem where I'm concerned, with regards to miniSD, isn't really the cost of a new reader/ card, its that that it'd make my memory cards that I currently have useless, and that I'd pretty much guarantee that Palm will do the same thing again in a few years and switch to the even smaller microSD.
    here's my theory...if I can get a free upgrade......why not? Ill try what someone else on TC did, call up sprint and ask to get my 700 replaced with a 755. It worked for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassangler View Post
    here's my theory...if I can get a free upgrade......why not? Ill try what someone else on TC did, call up sprint and ask to get my 700 replaced with a 755. It worked for them.
    I agree. I was able to upgrade my wife's 650 to a 755p for just $22 through retentions. I don't want to push it. But if they upgrade my 700p for a 755p...I'll take it!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I have to agree... after reading the initial specs for the 755p, I wasn't at all impressed. I thought to myself, "Palm, it took you a year to do this? Sheesh." While I am still a little dissapointed by the marinal upgrades, I'm growing more and more enamored with the 755... my 650 is getting a little long in the tooth.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I think I have to agree with what's being said here. I have family members with both 600s and 650s, I dreaded the day they'd want to upgrade their phone because I just could not recommend the 700p.

But with the aesthetic (though small), stability & speed tweaks in this model, I'm relieved I finally have a decent option for them.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Well do you rather have a 4GB miniSD card or a 8GB SD card?

Plus I have invested in the 700p batteries. It's a "meh" mild refresh.
    No regrets whatsoever on my 755P coming from a 700P. It really does feel like you're holding a great smartphone for a change. I've got all of my 700P apps loaded and it's still fast and incredibly stable after one week of use.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I got the blue 755p (replaced the Q) and this is a AWESOME phone.. feels so classy...It has some flaws (freezing or lock up) but no phone is perfect... Overall, 9 out of 10 for this phone.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I have to confess that as a Sprint Treo 700p user I felt that the Treo 755p was nothing but just a pretty looking Treo 700p and that it wasn't a big deal at all. Well, I changed my mind. First, getting a 4GB min SD card wasn't expensive and getting a SDHC card reader wasn't that bad either. Then, after reading stories saying how much better the 755p performance is when it is compared with the 700p, I am almost sure that even if Palm releases a ROM update for the 700p, it is not going to make it as good as the Treo 755p. Come on guys, Palm has already told us that the lag is a hardware problem because they used the same hardware they used on the Treo 700w. So, I'm not counting on that. Now, another reason why I'm upgrading to a 755p is because how good it feels on my hand. It really feels like you are holding something expensive and classy. The design is just awesome and if you already love Treos in general, the 755p is a must have. After a minute of just looking at a burgundy Treo 755p I felt in love.

Al
    You do realize that the hardware is the EXACT SAME AS THE 700p?? The only exceptions are the case (which moves the IR port and changes the card to miniSD). There is absolutely no difference between the 700p and 755p with respect to crucial hardware. The only reason the 755p is more stable and apparently quicker is because the problems the MR will address have already been applied to the 755p.

Palm is sure glad that there are people like you out there, willing to pay hundreds of dollars because you're too impatient to wait for a MR!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    but the MR can't help get rid of that bulky, hard body. If I had the 700P I would definitely get rid of that for the overall body of the 755P.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Well do you rather have a 4GB miniSD card or a 8GB SD card?

Plus I have invested in the 700p batteries. It's a "meh" mild refresh.
    Meh. I have a 2GB SD right now in my 650, and a 2GB miniSD sitting on my desk (it was $10, so I thought "why not?"), so it's not a big deal. In fact, for most people I imagine it isn't a big deal. Yeah, I've got more than 4GB of musak on my computer, but it won't be long until somebody shoehorns 8GB and 16GB and 32GB into an affordable miniSD.

And you can probably count out your 700p batteries in any future Palm. Thin is in.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    You do realize that the hardware is the EXACT SAME AS THE 700p?? The only exceptions are the case (which moves the IR port and changes the card to miniSD). There is absolutely no difference between the 700p and 755p with respect to crucial hardware. The only reason the 755p is more stable and apparently quicker is because the problems the MR will address have already been applied to the 755p.

Palm is sure glad that there are people like you out there, willing to pay hundreds of dollars because you're too impatient to wait for a MR!
    Will the MR make the 700p thinner? Will it take away the antenna or repaint it with that wonderful soft-touch paint they're using? How about improving reception or bluetooth quality? Just because the specs are the same doesn't mean that all the hardware inside is the same stuff.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post

Upgrading from a mini van to a sedan that has the same internal hardware specs might not be a big deal for some, but a great deal for others who are looking for a newer and modern look. Also, I've know people including myself that have actually made some money after upgrading to a new Treo. The key word is eBay or Craigslist. You don't need to keep your old Treo and spend more money again. All you have to do is sell your old one and use that money to cover all your upgrade price. I would never go to a Palm store and pay full price for a Treo and just save my old Treo in my desk drawer. I would have to be either rich or irresponsible. As I stated before on a different thread, "read, read and read....." and you will learn how we do it.

Now, regarding the been impatient about the ROM update for the Treo 700p. I believe Palm has already stated that they don't guarantee the lag as been fixed completely and also they have stated that the lag is due to the fact that they used the same exact hardware for the 700w. So even though the 700p and the 755p have the same specs I doubt it is the same hardware.

Al
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast