1.    #1  
    It's been a while but im back on TC. I loved my 700p - but I had the devil's program (Good Link) installed so my treo was basically a better looking Blackberry. I stepped up to the 755p and I'm back...

I searched but couldn't find a difinitive answer. Is Versamail the only option for push email with Direct Push? I know people love Chatter but it seems a little over my head.
    Sounding like a Snappermail commercial, I risk suggesting that. It has settings for checking email every few minutes or hours. It's not exactly push, But having emails pop up on your phone is basically the end result. An option.
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    The short answer to your question is: there are currently at least two options if your email is an Exchange 2003 SP2 or better account: VersaMail and Chatter. If your email is IMAP (e.g. AOL), then Chatter should be the only choice to-date for push emails.

If your email is Exchange, I'd suggest you try VersaMail first for a few reasons. First, it's 'free'. Second, not only does it push emails, it also pushes calendar events and contacts (both ways) by using Exchange ActiveSync (EAS). So far it's been working quite fine with my 700p.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I have a possibly stupid question, but here goes...

I use MS Exchange with Versamail, and I haven't figured out how to get the email alerts to vibrate when I have the ringer switched off. There doesn't seem to be a choice in the alerts preference box...

Does anyone know how to do this? If so, I'd appreciate a little advice...

Many thanks!
    Larry Z.
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    The other problem with Versamail and Exchange is that if you have alerts turned on, the screen comes on every time there is an email. That will drain the battery much faster. I have been using Chatter and it works very well because it will alert you without turning the screen on.
    I've used Chatter with the Exchange option on my 700P with great results. But after trying Active Sync with our Exchange server on my 755P, I wasn't too impressed. Unlike Chatter, you have to set a 5 minute minimum sync time in Versamail, and it turns the screen on when it begins to sync, which hammers the battery.

Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, the new mail alert does not vibrate when in silent mode in Versamail.

I switched back to using Chatter with Exchange and there really is no comparison. New messages come in 1 to 2 seconds after they're delivered to me, and the alert settings work (except no flashing LED as in my 700P).
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet View Post
    I've used Chatter with the Exchange option on my 700P with great results. But after trying Active Sync with our Exchange server on my 755P, I wasn't too impressed. Unlike Chatter, you have to set a 5 minute minimum sync time in Versamail, and it turns the screen on when it begins to sync, which hammers the battery.

Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, the new mail alert does not vibrate when in silent mode in Versamail.

I switched back to using Chatter with Exchange and there really is no comparison. New messages come in 1 to 2 seconds after they're delivered to me, and the alert settings work (except no flashing LED as in my 700P).
    I've heard that there is a setting to get messages as they arrive in the new VersaMail for Exchange accounts. I use Chatter also. I have tried to go back to VersaMail a couple of times but just couldn't get used to the lack of features.
    Yes, you can set Versamail to get messages as they arrive, making the Treo act like a Blackberry. This is the first time I've seen this setting on a Palm Treo, and it works great.

Cheers!
    LZ
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    It does work great except for the fact that every time you get a message the screen comes on to alert you. Chatter works much better because it will alert you with the screen off.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I have a 650 with VZW. I could not get Chatter to work at all. Versamail 3.1F works great but can only pull emails. So I decided to eat the $13 for the 3.5 upgrade and the EAS push patch. I get emails pushed to my Treo faster than they come into my Outlook inbox (after turning off SSL, with it enabled my server would not let me connect). I'm not too concerned with the screen coming on for a minute for each email but what I would like to have is a vibrtate alert as well. Sometimes I don't hear it in my pocket.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I agree that VersaMail's email alert options are weak. But the syncing of calendar events and contacts keeps me from going back to Chatter (which is a great piece of software!).

Here's how I get around the lack of LED and vibrate alert from VM:
    I use Butler's Attention Grabber feature. Since the new email alerts from VM are actually basic alerts, Butler's Attention Manager can capture them and 'nag' you for attention. (The idea of Attention Grabber is to grab your attention for voice mail, SMS, missed calls, appointments etc). The available options are: the alert tone, # of vibration, LED (currently for Verizon 700p, Solid Orange is the only LED option that works), plays/alerts X times every Y seconds (X and Y are configurable), and repeats the alerts Z # of times. I set Butler up to alert 1 time every 10 seconds and repeats 1 time only, and I'd get Butler's alert (i.e. alert tone, vibrate, and LED) after 10 seconds.
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    If your email is Exchange, I'd suggest you try VersaMail first for a few reasons. First, it's 'free'. Second, not only does it push emails, it also pushes calendar events and contacts (both ways) by using Exchange ActiveSync (EAS). So far it's been working quite fine with my 700p.
    How did you set it up??? I can't get it to work....
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    I agree that VersaMail's email alert options are weak. But the syncing of calendar events and contacts keeps me from going back to Chatter (which is a great piece of software!).

Here's how I get around the lack of LED and vibrate alert from VM:
    I use Butler's Attention Grabber feature. Since the new email alerts from VM are actually basic alerts, Butler's Attention Manager can capture them and 'nag' you for attention. (The idea of Attention Grabber is to grab your attention for voice mail, SMS, missed calls, appointments etc). The available options are: the alert tone, # of vibration, LED (currently for Verizon 700p, Solid Orange is the only LED option that works), plays/alerts X times every Y seconds (X and Y are configurable), and repeats the alerts Z # of times. I set Butler up to alert 1 time every 10 seconds and repeats 1 time only, and I'd get Butler's alert (i.e. alert tone, vibrate, and LED) after 10 seconds.
    Do you set VersaMail to alert on new messages? The problem I have with this is that the screen turns on for every email. I am using Chatter for email and using VersaMail to sync my contacts and appointments every 12 hours since it is not that important to have them updated all the time. This seems to be working for me so far.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin View Post
    Do you set VersaMail to alert on new messages? The problem I have with this is that the screen turns on for every email. I am using Chatter for email and using VersaMail to sync my contacts and appointments every 12 hours since it is not that important to have them updated all the time. This seems to be working for me so far.
    In order to let Butler alerts me with LED and vibrate, I have to set VM to alert on new messages. I agree it's annoying that each email will turn on the screen. Currently there's no way to get rid of it unless you don't set VM to alert on new emails. One option you may want to consider is to shorten the "Auto-off after" duration to say 15 or 30 seconds (Prefs -> Power).

Palm should seriously think about revamping the alert options for VM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick View Post
    How did you set it up??? I can't get it to work....
    This question has been covered extensively somewhere else in the forum so I'm not going into details here. My setup is pretty straightforward. I have to turn off SSL to make it work so if this is where you got stuck, you may want to try that.
    This question has been covered extensively somewhere else in the forum so I'm not going into details here. My setup is pretty straightforward. I have to turn off SSL to make it work so if this is where you got stuck, you may want to try that.
    Ok. But I'm curious... Do you have more than one front-end server, assuming you're using that topology, or are you just running without ssl? What about forms based authentication??

I really appreciate your help.
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
  17.    #17  
    Why can't Snapper mail add push support? Snapper was my old standby...
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick View Post
    Do you have more than one front-end server, assuming you're using that topology, or are you just running without ssl? What about forms based authentication??
    We just have a stand-alone (i.e. just one server for both front and back end) Exchange 2003 SP2 server. We do run SSL but unfortunately VM with EAS doesn't seem to like GoDaddy's certificate. We don't use form-based authentication.
    But I thought you said "I have to turn off SSL to make it work"... So do you normally run with or without SSL? I only ask because I prefer to be more secure but I've read other postings that say to turn off SSL.

Thanks!!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP