Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. samboy's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
       #1  
    I just got my 755P yesterday. It doesn't seem much quicker than my 700P yet, but maybe I have just been blinded by the hassle of reinstalling my apps. I was able to get chatter up and running fine, and unlike another post that I read, I didn't need to obtain a new registration code.

    Here is my question: I can't get versamail to work with an exchange server, but chatter seems to sync with it fine. Is there a reason that one would work and one wouldn't, or am I just setting up versamail incorrectly?

    Thanks
  2. pluka's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #2  
    Samboy,

    Chatter uses the OWA web interface to access your exchange server. It uses SSL over the net. Versamail uses the exchange interface and your company may require that to be on a VPN connection only. If that's the case, there are VPN programs for Palm. None work on my server because my company requires certificates that are not supported by these clients.

    Paul
  3. #3  
    Don't use Chatter unless you intend to always use it. I've been using Chatter for quite awhile and thought I'd give the updated VersaMail and new ActiveSync a try on my 650. I'm thinking my wife will use the 650 and thought I'd be probably end up setting up VersaMail for her. I'm just killing time waiting until at least the end of the month to see what Hawkins says. What a pain. I spent most of this afternoon dorking around with it. I ended up backing things up with Backup Buddy VFS and trying it after a hard reset several times. I could get the older VersaMail 3.1 or whatever to work with Exchange but the new vs. 3.5 wouldn't. Did a lot of searching and trying different things. I spent some time messing with Palm's Certificate Tool and with the unsigned certificate our company uses. Then, just for kicks, I called the new "My Palm" support, evidently they're located somewhere in Cambodia. I didn't spend too long with them. Reminded me of calling Sprint on the weekend. I ended up setting up a POP account just to try VersaMail out. I won't be using it on my new 755 that's for sure. It just doesn't have the features Chatter has. It might be fine for my wife and her POP accounts though. I just don't think I can go back to it after using Chatter.
  4. #4  
    The thought of back stepping to Versamail - entertained it and tried it for two days shortly after I started using Chatter and what a mistake.

    Ben
  5. #5  
    Just got my 755p (from a 700wx). Setup Versamail through the Exchange Active Server account type and it seems to be working. Sync as items arrive was not initially available until I did the first connect with the server. Once that was complete it became the default and I have been getting emails in real time just like my 700wx did.

    My only gripe is that I cannot choose to only sync mail and calendar. I really do not want to sync my personal contacts on my work server. Although all three checkboxes do appear (looking like you can pick and choose), it seems when I uncheck contacts, all three uncheck at the same time. Oh well, I can live with this!

    F
  6. #6  
    One other thing I noticed now with Versamail is that I cannot setup a simple profile to sync as items arrive during peak hours (work hours that I set) and then off-peak hours (sync manually).. It seems to be one or the other and no way to change profiles.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fbarickm View Post
    Just got my 755p (from a 700wx). Setup Versamail through the Exchange Active Server account type and it seems to be working. Sync as items arrive was not initially available until I did the first connect with the server. Once that was complete it became the default and I have been getting emails in real time just like my 700wx did.

    My only gripe is that I cannot choose to only sync mail and calendar. I really do not want to sync my personal contacts on my work server. Although all three checkboxes do appear (looking like you can pick and choose), it seems when I uncheck contacts, all three uncheck at the same time. Oh well, I can live with this!

    F
    Is there no way to only sync Calendar and Mail? Or would one have to use Chatter?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The thought of back stepping to Versamail - entertained it and tried it for two days shortly after I started using Chatter and what a mistake.

    Ben
    Same here. I setup Chatter with an Exchange account. Then I gave Versamail Exchange Active sync a try on my 755P with mixed results. I didn't like the experience too much at all.

    Back to using Chatter with Exchange and syncing with Google Calendar - I'm happy.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

    Catch me on Twitter

    Google+ Me
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Is there no way to only sync Calendar and Mail? Or would one have to use Chatter?
    Versamail can sync Email, Calendar, and Contacts with an Exchange Server (that is setup correctly). I would like to ONLY sync email and calendar with Versamail. Under the autosync options there are check boxes to select what to sync (mail, calendar, contacts). When I select 'As items arrive' under the when settings, It defaults to checking all 3 items. When I try to unselect contacts, they all become unchecked.

    If I choose to do it on a polled time interval, I can select what I prefer to have synced. Also can tell it what hours in the day of the week I would like to do that.

    I wish that this could be done under the 'as items arrive' option!

    For the mail portion, it appears that Versamail only syncs with my Inbox on the server. None of the other folders that reside on the mail server are synced. Under Pocket Outlook with the 700wx all folders were synced. Again not a show stopper but frustrating when you used to have the ability to see these folders. I use the 'sent items' folder often to forward an already sent email.
  10. #10  
    Is there a way for me to sync (through the exchange server) email, calendar and contacts with Chatter & the exchange plug-in?

Posting Permissions