1.    #1  
    Everything looked great when I received the 755 to replace my problematic 700P in just a few days.

I went through the activation process and the phone started working immediately.

I had read a tip about the first sync, so I copied and then renamed and moved my palm folder to the Desktop as suggested in another thread.

When I ran the Missing Sync I got a cryptic error saying that "the Entourage conduit improperly called Exit to Shell. This is an error in the conduit; you should contact the developer for a fix."

Also, when I double clicked the Entourage conduit in order to set it as Entourage overrides the handheld for the first sync I got another error message "A conduit that was not designed to run on this computer is being configured. You will not be able to continue until you have finished with the conduit."

Both of these errors are new to me and I've had no problems syncing the 700P with the same set up.

I'd sure appreciate any help.

GeneL

MacPro/OS 10.4.9/Treo 755 (Sprint)
  2.    #2  
    Ouch! Looks like I'm all alone with this problem
  3. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I don't have a 755 yet, but I'm curious because I also use Entourage and Missing Sync. There's a setting in the Entourage conduit about compatibility with newer PDAs which needs to be checked, but it doesn't really sound like that error.

Something's screwed up, I'd probably do a reinstall of the conduit and/or Missing Sync just to clear it all up. If that doesn't work maybe Missing Sync needs a patch for the 755. Let us know what you find.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM View Post
    I don't have a 755 yet, but I'm curious because I also use Entourage and Missing Sync. There's a setting in the Entourage conduit about compatibility with newer PDAs which needs to be checked, but it doesn't really sound like that error.

Something's screwed up, I'd probably do a reinstall of the conduit and/or Missing Sync just to clear it all up. If that doesn't work maybe Missing Sync needs a patch for the 755. Let us know what you find.
    I spent hours yesterday, uninstalling and reinstalling Palm Desktop from the 755's included disk, same with MS, totally removed and reinstalled v.5.1.2 and yep! I checked the box for newer PDAs.

Actually the situation with the Missing Sync got worse and worse as I attempted to find a fix. Now, when I try to start it up it won't even open and the last times that it opened it kept giving me an error report regarding a different conduit each time. Whoops! I just tried it again and got the error that the Entourage conduit (which has been working fine until now) is not designed to work on this computer???

What a joke! I just don't know what else to do and I haven't heard back from Mark/Space.

This is ruining my wonderful experience with my new 755
  5. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Have you tried uninstalling Palm Desktop and just using Missing Sync? I have never needed to have Palm Desktop or Hotsync installed at all. Maybe they're conflicting. I'm surprised we only have one Missing Sync user with a 755 so far.
  6.    #6  
    Have you tried uninstalling Palm Desktop and just using Missing Sync? I have never needed to have Palm Desktop or Hotsync installed at all. Maybe they're conflicting. I'm surprised we only have one Missing Sync user with a 755 so far.
    You know, I hadn't considered that. I'll give that a test with my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll report back.

GeneL
  7.    #7  
    This is odd.

I just booted from a backup drive on my MacPro and tried syncing with my original setup without making ANY changes from the 700P setup except to set the sync to "Entourage overrides Handheld" for the first sync.

When I double clicked Entourage to set the it up, I did get the conduit error warning about the Entourage conduit, but I ran the sync to the 755 and it seemed to progress normally.

When done I found that the calendar had been synced but not the contacts.

Still a mystery.

Unfortunately, I hadn't brought the backup up to date for about a week, so I can't just clone the backup back to my original drive in order to restore the Missing Sync setup.

The problem now is that on my main hard drive I have so screwed up the Palm/Missing Sync setups that they are worthless and I don't know how to get the backup setups on my second drive, which seemed to work somewhat, over to the main drive.

I'm so screwed
  8. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I've been reading the threads all day on my Treo and now I'm finally at home on my computer and can look at the Missing Sync app while I think about this. First of all, have you tried the option in the Missing Sync menu bar called "Update supported device list"? I'm not sure what this does, but based on its name perhaps it would help to update that if it needs to be 755p-aware (assuming Mark-Space has caught up to the release of the 755p).

As far as starting over, considering how screwed up it seems to be, I wouldn't hesitate to remove all traces of Palm Desktop, Hotsync and Missing Sync and start over. Restoring your conduits might take a few downloads depending on how many 3rd-party ones you have, but it shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure you back up your PIM data from Entourage or Address Book/iCal, whatever has your actual current data still in it, and put copies of those files somewhere where they can't get erased if you make a mistake.

Once you've got a clean slate on your Mac, install the latest version of Missing Sync again, and the Microsoft conduit (might want to redownload it too just to make sure you've got the current version). If your phone doesn't have any special data in it, I'd recommend a hard reset because I've found it makes for a more reliable first sync when things are totally messed up. Missing Sync recognizes it as a "blank" phone and I think you get more of a "walkthrough" kind of setup with it.

I hope that works.
  9.    #9  
    First of all, have you tried the option in the Missing Sync menu bar called "Update supported device list"?
    I'm not sure what this does, but based on its name perhaps it would help to update that if it needs to be 755p-aware (assuming Mark-Space has caught up to the release of the 755p).

As far as starting over, considering how screwed up it seems to be, I wouldn't hesitate to remove all traces of Palm Desktop, Hotsync and Missing Sync and start over. Restoring your conduits might take a few downloads depending on how many 3rd-party ones you have, but it shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure you back up your PIM data from Entourage or Address Book/iCal, whatever has your actual current data still in it, and put copies of those files somewhere where they can't get erased if you make a mistake.

Once you've got a clean slate on your Mac, install the latest version of Missing Sync again, and the Microsoft conduit (might want to redownload it too just to make sure you've got the current version). If your phone doesn't have any special data in it, I'd recommend a hard reset because I've found it makes for a more reliable first sync when things are totally messed up. Missing Sync recognizes it as a "blank" phone and I think you get more of a "walkthrough" kind of setup with it.

I hope that works.
    Thanks PSM

I don't remember trying the Update supported device list, but I might have since I tried everything else.

I did completely remove every trace of Palm and Missing Sync including whatever related plist items that I could find. Then I did a fresh install of Palm desktop and Missing Sync. When that didn't work, I again uninstalled and deleted everything and at someone's suggestion installed only Missing Sync. Again that didn't work either.

Each time the problem seemed to be inherent with Missing Sync and not to have anything to do with the 755. By this I mean that in the step where I had to open the conduit settings (which only involves The Missing Sync), when I double clicked the Entourage conduit an error message appeared saying that the conduit wasn't designed to work on this computer and when I then tried to sync another error message appeared saying that the conduit had "called Exit to Shell"???

As I said previously, the only luck I've had so far, was when I booted to the back up drive and ran the basic sync from there without making any changes from the settings for the 700P, Even so, it still popped up the conduit error warning, but at least it synced the calendar.

One thing, I've only had the Intel MacPro a short time and I can't remember if I ever synced the 700P from it. I'm almost positive that I must have, but it makes me wonder if my problem with The Missing Sync is related to some incompatibility with the Intel processor?

I am anxious to get in touch with the Mark/Space tech support on Monday, but it seems difficult since they don't offer phone support
  10. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I agree that it seems like Missing Sync is the problem. I know people throw this around like it's a cure-all for Mac problems, but have you repaired permissions? The fact that your old install is (sort-of) working made me wonder. It doesn't fix all problems, but I find that when I have an app that suddenly refuses to do things or let me change prefs, repairing permissions does sometimes actually fix it.

I don't actually have an Intel Mac (finally next month, I hope), but I'm sure if there were some flaw between Missing Sync, the Entourage conduit and Intel Macs everyone would know about it.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I use Missing Sync and Entrourage. The only problem I have is that my catagories in calendar have never worked. They always sync as unfiled and I have to change them after the sync. Biggest problem is If I have to do a restore. everthig becomes unfiled again and it take me about a hour to re-catagorize my appointments again.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionNE View Post
    I use Missing Sync and Entrourage. The only problem I have is that my catagories in calendar have never worked. They always sync as unfiled and I have to change them after the sync. Biggest problem is If I have to do a restore. everthig becomes unfiled again and it take me about a hour to re-catagorize my appointments again.
    What Mac are you using? Intel?

I have a feeling that there's a problem with Missing Sync and my Intel MacPro, even though Mark/Space says v5.1.2 is supposed to be Universal.

Since I never had a problem before, I've really been frustrated by all the error messages that I kept getting every time I try to sync.

If I don't get some help from Mark/Space on Monday, I don't know what I'll do.
  13. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Yeah mine doesn't seem to be working either, but I don't normally use appointment categories so I haven't tried to work on it much.

Treo 650 / Missing Sync / Entourage 2004 / Powerbook G4
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I have a Macbook (Intel core2 duo)
  15.    #15  
    I have a Macbook (Intel core2 duo)
    Do you get an error message from using the Entourage conduit.

Every time I launch MS it gives me an error message that I'm using a conduit that isn't designed to be used on this computer???

I can't figure out a fix.

I don't know if you read that I was able to partially sync Entourage (calendar, but not contacts) by booting to my backup drive. Even so, I still got the conduit error message.

This really stinks, since I can't enjoy the 755 until I get everything working properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneL View Post
    Do you get an error message from using the Entourage conduit.

Every time I launch MS it gives me an error message that I'm using a conduit that isn't designed to be used on this computer???

I can't figure out a fix.

I don't know if you read that I was able to partially sync Entourage (calendar, but not contacts) by booting to my backup drive. Even so, I still got the conduit error message.

This really stinks, since I can't enjoy the 755 until I get everything working properly.
    From the problems you're describing, I thought of 2 other issues that might be at work:

1. There is a corruption in one of the PIM databases that is causing sync problems. You could backup the 755p to the memory card with an app like BackupMan or VFSBackup. Then resync with Missing Sync desktop application. Or, simply delete all the PIM database info from the 755p and resync which might be quicker.

2. You have a problem with Missing Sync desktop prefs. I'm not sure if the uninstall feature that comes with that program (I'm assuming you used the uninstaller to remove it from the desktop) removes all the prefs files or not. But, after removing the software, I'd use the Finder to search for missing sync and mark space to make sure there are no traces. If the problem file is being retained even when you run the uninstaller, the problem would obviously persist.

Good luck!
  17.    #17  
    I finally heard from Mark/Space. The upshot is that the error message…

"A conduit that was not designed to run on this computer is being configured. You will not be able to continue until you have finished with this conduit."

…is not really a problem and I should be able to sync in spite of the message.

I went back to my second drive and copied the uncorrupted Palm Folder over to my main drive and then reinstalled Missing Sync again.

This time the sync started up normally, but a new problem has shown up.

I get an error message in the log saying "Hot Sync failure because another Identity is open in another Office Application."

I have tried everything I can think of to close this "other Identity," but I'm stumped.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. It appears that if I solve this issue I should be able to sync my 755.

Thanks for your thoughts,

GeneL
  18.    #18  
    I just got done with a proper sync!

I got a tech support person at Microsoft to help me get rid of the "another Identity is open…" problem. In a previous troubleshooting call I had created a backup Identity and by removing it I solved the problem. Now everything is working again.

Big point to be made here: Don't listen to any of the advice about changing anything in your Palm and Missing Sync folders before you do your first sync with the new 755. That's what fouled me up.

It turns out that using all the same set up and settings from my 700P, except to change to "Entourage overwrites the Handheld," worked perfectly for the 755.

If I had left it alone I wouldn't have gone through all the craziness that I experienced.

Oh well (sigh!), all's well that ends well
  19. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Glad to hear it's all better now!
  20.    #20  
    I'm very happy to report that I'm back in business

After a disgustingly long process, I've finally synced my 755 with Entourage and installed Bookworm.

I'm good to go and really enjoying the noticeably satisfying improvements over the 700P. Better phone reception and Powervision connection and only a tiny lag, so far, between apps.

So far, I feel it was worth the struggle to get the 755.

As I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL