Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Guys,

This is what I have in my 700p that always generated lag for me. If you test these steps and no lag occurs in the 755p then we may have a winner, otherwise the 755p is a lemon with a new skin.

Disclaimer: I am a 700p owner, not planning to switch. However, since the rumors are that the 755p is the 700p with the MR integrated... well you guys hold in your hands the only thing that gives us hope (when May 28th week arrives) and also you can make yourself sure your 755p is rock solid... or not.

• Setup Versamail to fetch emails at a given time span. I have it configured for every 2 hours in an IMAP server. Around the time the phone is supposed to grab the emails, try opening new apps and/or switch to/from Versamail to whatever.
    • Check your voice mail while using a Bluetooth headset.
    • While on a phone call using your BT headset, try opening something, say a Memo or a game, generate a new appointment, what have you. I get consistent lags and freezes when doing this on the 700p
    • After reading email in Versamail, or "slinging", or listening to tunes with Ptunes, go ahead and Open Blazer. Screen will go white for a few seconds. Several times I've had to reset the phone here.
    • The golden test is getting to a low-coverage area. Try doing anything in an area where your coverage is on the one bar (even zero bar) level.

If the above tests give you a good experience, say a lag that is not significant, then I'll be a believer in the upcoming 700p MR and in the "freshness" of the 755p. Otherwise, we all are officially boned...

If anybody has more steps on how to test/cause lags please share them here. Try to stay on topic as much as possible.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    These are all good tests, thank you waldo15. My greatest peeve is the lag approaching a minute opening the Web application directly after using another large application/database.

Indeed, if we ever see that "promised" firmware update then the 755 has become the beta tester of our beta testing for Palm. Hang tight!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I have performed all of those tasks today (except the low coverage area) and am happy to report no significant lag. There was a very slight skip in Ptunes when using a processor heavy app, like loading a big DTG file, but no skip while browsing the web.
    ...don't make me want a 755 now, sxtg. I like having 4GB of SD space.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Mini SD will hold 4GB
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Mini SD will hold 4GB
    As 4GB (non-SDHC) is officially a non-standard (2GB is the max "official" SD standard), anyone know of a NON-SDHC miniSD that's known to work in the 755? I'd assume that any miniSD that works with the 700p would also work with the 755.

This leaves open the option to use standard readers that support 4GB without tossing them all out so the occasions you need to read your SDHC card you know you'll be able to read it.
    I notice a short lag for the first time today. I had switched to roam only mode and there definitely was a lag at times when I dialed a phone number. I hope that the lag in the 700p MR is fixed and then I will return the 755 which is a nice phone. Of course they need to give us support for the 8 gig sd support too.
    The lag and spotty EVDO coverage in Los Angeles were instrumental in my bricking my 700p.

After forays to Cingular and the 750, 680 and Blackjack, I thought long and hard before buying a 755p, and I'm glad I did. Now the other phones are the bricks.

No lags, good EVDO coverage and a great responsive feel. This is the phone the 700p should have been.

After a bit of research, I think another reason my new Treo works so well is that I did a clean installation with a different user name. Ordinarily I'd have just copied my material to the new Treo (it worked with the 680, for instance) but this time I bit the bullet and took the time-consuming step of moving my programs, one at a time, to the new 755.

BTW, the MS Exchange support is outstanding, and is a big plus for me. No complaints so far!

Larry Z.
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    Quote Originally Posted by LZMutant View Post
    spotty EVDO coverage in Los Angeles
    ??!

This was a while ago, I take it?
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
    ??!

This was a while ago, I take it?
    Well, I used it from the moment it was released, and cancelled my service around January. It was very frustrating, because Snappermail would fail if the 700p couldn't lock on to the EVDO signal, and I wouldn't get my emails. The green EVDO box would flick on and off, and attempts to connect to the web only worked about half the time. Calls to support produced a standard, "I guess you live in a pocket where the signal is spotty."

I live near Westwood/Century City, and you'd think that the signal would be strong - but no. I have a friend locally who had the same problem... I was remotely interested in a ROM update and checked periodically - but when the new Treo came out I went for it.

The antenna in the 755 is obviously a new design, and that may be one of the reasons the phone's data signal has been rock solid so far...

Cheers!
    LZ
    Last edited by LZMutant; 05/18/2007 at 04:36 AM.
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    Huh. I get full-on speeds in my area (Sepulveda between Palms and Venice (near the 405/10 junction, not that far from you)) and was surprised that you said this was recently.
    Palm Pre
    The antenna in the 755 is obviously a new design, and that may be one of the reasons the phone's data signal has been rock solid so far
    FWIW, I've have (and about to return; I didn't know there was a 755p coming) a 700p too, and it's just as fast.

Of course, I live ~200ft from the '405, and I know SPCS has excellent freeway coverage, too. I remember that when I first started visiting LA in '98 prior to moving out here that Westwood coverage blew chunks. I used to frequent a nightclub that is now where the Chili's is on Westwood Blvd, and remembering "NO SERVICE" indications on my Sony 1200. I hope 9 years later they've gotten it together.
    Palm Pre
    No noticible lag going from apps or versamail to Blazer. You do get a brief "white screan" but just for a split second before it starts to download homepage. No slower going to Blazer than my 650 so far.
    The lag and spotty EVDO coverage in Los Angeles were instrumental in my bricking my 700p.

After forays to Cingular and the 750, 680 and Blackjack, I thought long and hard before buying a 755p, and I'm glad I did. Now the other phones are the bricks.

No lags, good EVDO coverage and a great responsive feel. This is the phone the 700p should have been.

After a bit of research, I think another reason my new Treo works so well is that I did a clean installation with a different user name. Ordinarily I'd have just copied my material to the new Treo (it worked with the 680, for instance) but this time I bit the bullet and took the time-consuming step of moving my programs, one at a time, to the new 755.

BTW, the MS Exchange support is outstanding, and is a big plus for me. No complaints so far!

Larry Z.

I had some lags last night when I went into roam only! Several keypunches would appear of course with a delay.

Also I was putting in some latiudes this morning in World Clock and the unit would freeze for a few seconds. I have installed a lot of programs so far!

Worldmate
    Merck
    Dr. Drugs
    Treo Memo
    Treo Weather
    Treo Alarms
    ewallet
    Resco Backup
    My Bible
    Memorize
    Daily Reader
    FileZ
    Files
    Dir Assist
    Key Caps

I will post the other programs in a few minutes the 755p is synching with Merck Manual now.
    the only lag i get...if i send out a txt message the same time i'm receiving a txt. major lag, could take 5-35 seconds with the message Sending Message before it clears up.

i send/receive a lot of txts, so i get this problem a lot.

never had the problem on the 600 or 650. but always had it with the 700p and now the 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
    Huh. I get full-on speeds in my area (Sepulveda between Palms and Venice (near the 405/10 junction, not that far from you)) and was surprised that you said this was recently.
    Well, I'm no technician - but I live right near the golf course next to Century City (between Santa Monica and Wilshire) and would have to drive into Westwood or Beverly Hills to get a steady signal. I've had trouble with T-Mobile in my neighborhood, but Sprint was always fine with their regular vision service. When it switched to EVDO "power" vision and the 700p, it was nothing but trouble for me. I tried PRL updates, calling tech support, and had no improvement.

Sprint's customer service (and I use that term lightly) was so poor I simply cancelled my account. Of course I considered exchanging the phone - but the Sprint store on La Cienega is so awful I vowed never to set foot in it again. Factor my spotty EVDO in with the lags and other 700p problems, and that was that.

I'm a week in with my 755p though, and I couldn't be happier. I just wish I could figure out how to get the Versamail email alert to vibrate when the ringer switch is off...

Cheers!
    Larry Z.
    As 4GB (non-SDHC) is officially a non-standard (2GB is the max "official" SD standard)
    Palm's web site (don't have the link, but it's posted in another Treocentral 755p forum topic) stats that 4GB SDHC miniSD cards work on the 755p. Some TC readers have already confirmed they work.
    I just wish I could figure out how to get the Versamail email alert to vibrate when the ringer switch is off...

Cheers!
    Larry Z.

...don't waste your time. Out of the box, it can't be done. I've spoken with both Palm and Sprint's tech support and they both said the same thing: VersaMail does not support the vibrate alert feature. Only way is to buy & install a 3rd-party app. Chattermail does it as well as Butler, but both are overkill for my needs.

Such a simple feature -- what other smartphone on earth does not provide it?
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    ...don't waste your time. Out of the box, it can't be done. I've spoken with both Palm and Sprint's tech support and they both said the same thing: VersaMail does not support the vibrate alert feature. Only way is to buy & install a 3rd-party app. Chattermail does it as well as Butler, but both are overkill for my needs.

Such a simple feature -- what other smartphone on earth does not provide it?
    That is crazy. I wonder if someone can create a hack to make this work. Just out of curriosity does the 700WX or WM devices do this with Pocket Outlook?
  20. tip
    I just switched from my 650 to a 755p. I'm freezing (yeah.. freezing) in Versamail. I can't quite figure out why/when it's happening but I have to pull the battery (which is harder to do than with the 650).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast