Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Maybe a dumb question, but if we back-up using a program like NVbackup prior to running the release and then apply the release everything will be wiped out on the treo. Will the ROM stay intact if we restore the backup? Will restoring put all of apps and prefs back?

Or is it better to reinstall everything one by one?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Your backup/restore only affects RAM. ROM is completely different.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Yeah, I don't believe the restore will affect ROM at all. But, I would wonder about the ability of NVbackup to restore RAM after the MR. Read the readme that came with NVB that states something like may not be able to restore to same device if the firmware has changed.

It seems like I've read posts where people have successfully restored (with NVB) even after firmware updates. I wonder if A. Pruss is just being SUPER cautious with that statement.

The above is one reason I utilize multiple backup soluions. NVbackup and TealBackup run nightly. I use PowerGUARDlite to manually backup select files throughout the day.

You could, as a precaution, use PowerGUARDlite (freeware) to copy all RAM files to the card before installing the MR. Then again, I use it on a 650, don't know if it works on a 700p. You would also need something like Filez to restore.
    Yes, the ROM would stay intact if you restored an old backup. Basically, whatever is in ROM at the time of your restore would remain since the backup doesn't restore ROM.

Of course you can selectively restore RAM files from an old backup if necessary.
    Okay, this MR will be my first firmware update with a Palm device. Unfortunately, I will have to apply it to about 90 devices.

Will it actually wipe the device in the process? Would a Hotsync restore all the user's contact/applications/settings??

Sorry if these are elementary questions.
    the mr will back up and restore all of your data automatically. palm has done this correctly several times w the 650. a bkup is a good idea but you most likely will not need it.
    I bet you an internet beer that it will brick a few treos....
    I have MRd four times without a brick resulting. Following the instructions normally takes care of those problems.

Ben
    After applying the MR, is the change permanent? Ie. if you hard reset do you have to reapply the MR? I know with patches like the DST patch you have to reapply if you hard reset.

-Stew
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    after hard resetting the mr firmware change will still be there. You would have to do another mr to change the firmware again.
    Quote Originally Posted by sysmg View Post
    After applying the MR, is the change permanent? Ie. if you hard reset do you have to reapply the MR? I know with patches like the DST patch you have to reapply if you hard reset.

-Stew
    Yes. It is permanent because you will have re-flashed the ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike3000 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but if we back-up using a program like NVbackup prior to running the release and then apply the release everything will be wiped out on the treo. Will the ROM stay intact if we restore the backup? Will restoring put all of apps and prefs back?

Or is it better to reinstall everything one by one?

The only problem I've had is that my backup program doesn't back up any pictures stored internally in the Treo, including contact pictures and camera pictures & mini movies taken with the Treo's camera.

For that, you'll want to make sure you do a hotsync (with all database backup options enabled) before installing the ROM.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I recommend using the hotsynch just before you do the MR and then do it again after to bring back all your data...less chance of a conflict with the new ROM.

I did brick one 650 (I've done probably 8 or 10 reflashes for my self and customers). I followed the directions exactly and during the flash it crashed and I lost the ESN and couldn't recover it. It was replaced thru TEP. YMMV
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    The directions given and in fact the application itself has you backing up the device before executing the upgrade. The last two I did involved doing a device based backup, then executing the MR followed by a device based restore.

Ben
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but let's just say I WANT to go back to the old firmware. Someone noted above the only way to do that would be to reflash with the old firmware. Will that be accessible? If Palm doesn't make it accessible, would anyone else have it?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but let's just say I WANT to go back to the old firmware. Someone noted above the only way to do that would be to reflash with the old firmware. Will that be accessible? If Palm doesn't make it accessible, would anyone else have it?
    You have to backup your own rom with the r2sd all command in the bootloader... how to flash it back safely is another problem.

In this update I think Palm will

1) Disable MSL/passthrough mode
    2) disable downgrades, add bootloader security (seen on some Windows Mobiles at xda-developers..)

Thats why I want to extract only the bluetooth part of the upgrade from the 700p MR or 755p.. the other things are fine I don't want to flash.

I think people are excited yet afraid of consequences of updating.. like with PSP/Xbox360 firmwares..etc
    I just want to be able to retain the current Versamail setup (without the push update). Other than that I'd love to have the rest of the upgrade...