Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I noticed that my 755P has an embedded version of Kinoma's media player (or whatever it's called). It mentions an available upgrade, but I couldn't find it. So, I went to Kinoma's forums and was told the following:

"Originally Posted by admin
    To get an upgrade discount on Kinoma Player 4 EX, soft reset your Treo 755p and click on the upgrade link that is displayed in the about box when Kinoma Media Embedded is first run. You will be taken to the Cleverbridge shopping cart. You can purchase, download, install and activate Kinoma Player 4 EX all on your device.

Regards,

Kinoma Support
    "

I followed those instructions and ended up paying only $14(.99?) for Kinoma 4 EX, instead of the full price of $24.99 - or even the discounted price quoted in TC's review.

I'm hoping folks see this before they purchase the product for full price, so if you benefit from this advice, please post in the thread. I'm hoping that'll keep it in the front page - at least until a sticky or FAQ or TIPS thread is created.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I don't have kinoma ???
    Kinoma is the embedded player that SprintTV uses.
    Ahh.. Thank you.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Kinoma is the embedded player that SprintTV uses.
    Yes. It also kicks in whenever I click on internet radio links.

Although it's just a lil embedded version, it still makes us qualify for an "upgrade" discounted price - a $10 discount. (For what these phones cost, a $10 discount is certainly welcome.)

Last night, I began combing Kinoma's media link library and we ended up listening to radio from Australia. I listened to an Asian station earlier in the day, but it was kind of a pain to access when compared to Kinoma's "menu."

I even watched a YouTube video - although whomever said it was kinda buggy was right. I'd guess (though I could be wrong) that the YouTube videos we see are all the same format, yet Kinoma frequently said some videos were unavailable for format (or bandwidth) reasons.

Bandwidth issues were sometimes cool, if I just tried, again, after the first attempt failed.
    west3man, this has been discussed at length before! Kinoma is almost a must-have for streaming internet videos (especially Youtube and the like). The full version is also useful to stream podcasts (my main use). Internet radio is still better streamed via pTunes, as you can play it in the background. But Kinoma is wonderful...even with its bugs!
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Wish I had seen this before I spent the $24.99.

Oh well. It's a great little program.

Especially it's ability to play m3u playlist with url references for the songs. That means I can access all my music that's set up on my home webserver - which is running a cool little script called Andromeda. If you're interested in setting up your own Andromeda music server, take a look here:

http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda/home.asp

If you need help getting Kinoma to work with it, send me a PM.
  8.    #8  
    west3man, this has been discussed at length before! Kinoma is almost a must-have for streaming internet videos (especially Youtube and the like). The full version is also useful to stream podcasts (my main use). Internet radio is still better streamed via pTunes, as you can play it in the background. But Kinoma is wonderful...even with its bugs!
    I'm still discovering those bugs, as I'm just now investing in it. I didn't wanna get a GPS device or certain software until I'd settled into a new Treo.

Well, I'm just about feeling settled, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by dbett View Post
    Wish I had seen this before I spent the $24.99.

Oh well. It's a great little program.

Especially it's ability to play m3u playlist with url references for the songs. That means I can access all my music that's set up on my home webserver - which is running a cool little script called Andromeda. If you're interested in setting up your own Andromeda music server, take a look here:

http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda/home.asp

If you need help getting Kinoma to work with it, send me a PM.
    I just found out about the discount, myself. Sorry that wasn't in time to save you some change, dbett. Thanks for the Andromeda info, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I noticed that my 755P has an embedded version of Kinoma's media player (or whatever it's called). It mentions an available upgrade, but I couldn't find it. So, I went to Kinoma's forums and was told the following:

To get an upgrade discount on Kinoma Player 4 EX, soft reset your Treo 755p and click on the upgrade link that is displayed in the about box when Kinoma Media Embedded is first run. You will be taken to the Cleverbridge shopping cart. You can purchase, download, install and activate Kinoma Player 4 EX all on your device.

Regards,

Kinoma Support
    "

I followed those instructions and ended up paying only $14(.99?) for Kinoma 4 EX, instead of the full price of $24.99 - or even the discounted price quoted in TC's review.

I'm hoping folks see this before they purchase the product for full price, so if you benefit from this advice, please post in the thread. I'm hoping that'll keep it in the front page - at least until a sticky or FAQ or TIPS thread is created.

What does this upgrade do for us?
    This works on the 700p as well.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    What does this upgrade do for us?
    Instead of having an embedded (i.e. not "full") version of Kinoma, you would have the full version, which allows one to view YouTube videos, access Kinoma's links for streaming audio and video, etc.

Check out their site for details: www.kinoma.com.
  12.    #12  
    west3man, this has been discussed at length before!
    Something just occurred to me. Did you mean that the $10 discount has been discussed before?
    Something just occurred to me. Did you mean that the $10 discount has been discussed before?
    This entire Thread has been discussed before.
  14.    #14  
    This entire Thread has been discussed before.
    That's surprising.

Oh well. It was news to me as well as some other folks, apparently.
    Yes, and some dont mind (like myself) directing or filling in whenever needed. Others will snarl and throw up a link for you to scroll through endless threads and posts.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Well a bit of a wrinkle...

As mentioned, I purchased and installed the full version before I saw this. Problem is that now I can't watch videos from the Sprint NFL site. Those videos are .3gp files and Kinoma is the default player. But the full version gives a "Network Error" whenever I click on a link from the site and it tries to play them.

When I unistalled Kinoma, the videos play fine on the embedded version.

Can someone who simply upgraded verify they are having the same problem?

Btw, the Sprint NFL site is at:

http://nfl.mspot.com/NFL4/html/web5.php

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kinoma Support
    "

Can you explain exactly how you did this? I've resent my 755p over and over again, but whenever I go to a website that streams to Kinoma (like m.youtube.com) it plays the video and never offers and upgrade option.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    Can you explain exactly how you did this? I've resent my 755p over and over again, but whenever I go to a website that streams to Kinoma (like m.youtube.com) it plays the video and never offers and upgrade option.
    I'm not sure why that would be the case. Are you resetting your 755P by removing, then reinserting, the battery? That's what I just did (after deleting a non-functioning of my new, replacement 755P), then I went to m.youtube.com, played the first available video, and noticed the Kinoma upgrade screen (which you can easily miss if you look away to sneeze or something).

So, to be clear...
    * I deleted any existing Kinoma program I'd already attempted to install. (In my case, it failed because I need to have the new installation activated with this new device's unique i.d. info.)

* Then I reset the 755P.

* Then I went to m.youtube.com, chose the first available video, and attempted to play it.

* Shortly after that, the Kinoma screen briefly appeared. That screen has a live (or "hot") upgrade link that you should click on.

Good luck.

Then I
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbett View Post
    Well a bit of a wrinkle...

As mentioned, I purchased and installed the full version before I saw this. Problem is that now I can't watch videos from the Sprint NFL site. Those videos are .3gp files and Kinoma is the default player. But the full version gives a "Network Error" whenever I click on a link from the site and it tries to play them.

When I unistalled Kinoma, the videos play fine on the embedded version.

Can someone who simply upgraded verify they are having the same problem?

Btw, the Sprint NFL site is at:

http://nfl.mspot.com/NFL4/html/web5.php

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm sorry there's been no response to your problem. I'm not sure how I missed this message.

Unfortunately, I've had to return my 755P a couple of times and I've been unable to activate the full version on the newest one.

If and when I can get the full version installed on THIS 755P, I'll try to remember to check on your issue. Hopefully, someone else will be available sooner, to help.
    * Shortly after that, the Kinoma screen briefly appeared. That screen has a live (or "hot") upgrade link that you should click on.
    Thanks I had figured it out after trying yet again... I didn't realize just how fast the box would appear and then disappear and it literally was just a web address link...I guess I was expecting something more clear like "To UPGRADE Press this BUTTON now!" Anyways got it to work! Thanks!

I'll see if I can help the other guy with the NFL question....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast