Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think most of the 755P talk has been relative to the 700P. I never owned a 700 model, but I did (and still do) own a 650. Maybe it'd be worthwhile to have a thread for current and former 650 owners to compare and rate the 755P, from their perspectives?

I bought a 755P, yesterday, (and my g.f. got one the day before). Here are some of my thoughts about it, so far:

1) Slimmer, lighter, firmer, & smooth
    2) Firmer buttons/keyboard
    3) Clearer, crisper screen
    4) Better reception (perhaps)
    5) Mini SD switch relatively painless ($26 online)
    6) No reset button?
    7) Off button where menu used to be (I've accidentally hung up on my mom, once already.)
    8) Camera images larger, but duller (so far)
    9) AIM & MSN IM clients are convenient and functional
    10) Some 650 accessories (battery, case, card, cables) MAY be incompatible (Magnesium case will do, for now, but holes don't line up except for, surprisingly, the mini sd slot/case hinge.)

EDIT: The battery may not be compatible but the cables appear to be.

Anyone else?

11) I'm using Sprint's Phone As Modem plan and, so far, it may be more reliable than PdaNet (whose support is lacking, imo) and DUN on the 650 (which was generally cool, but had its low points). More after I've used this option more often. So far, it's a ...

EDIT: I still think it's more reliable.

My 2nd Set of Observations
    Last edited by west3man; 05/21/2007 at 01:06 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I am using my 650 cables so far on my 755 and they work fine to charge and sync. I really can't tell any difference in the size when I put them together except for not having an antenna (I keep wanting to hang it upside down on my car clip). I am still using the case from Verizon I bought and used for my 650. The camera and speaker hole doesn't line up but I always took it out of the case to use it anyway, and the sound on this phone is so much better that I don't need to use speakerphone as much as I did, but I can still hear the speaker. I think the camera images are much clearer on the 755. Ordered a 2 gig Mini SD card on ebay yesterday. $22 shipped.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I bought a 755p yesterday also. I agree with some of your points.

Some of my own.

1) I miss the antenna. I have a side ways case and used the antenna to get my T650 out with no problems, now I have to fumble around with the 755p to get it out of my case.
    2) I get stronger signal at my house now with the 755p. I don't have to use my external antenna now that I had to use with my 650.
    3) My 650 accessories (cradles, headphones, etc) work.
    4) Much better speaker.

It's a no brainer on upgrading from a 650 to 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye View Post

1) I miss the antenna. I have a side ways case and used the antenna to get my T650 out with no problems, now I have to fumble around with the 755p to get it out of my case.
    A solution is to cut out part of the bottom of your side case so that you can push up the treo from the bottom. You'll get the motion memorized in no time. Or you can purchase the 755p side case from TC (i think the palm brand - i did) that already has the cut out on it so that you can lift it from bottom.
  5.    #5  
    Great responses.

I'll try my cables, again. Maybe I did something wrong. I notice that the new cables fit more snugly than I'm used to. In fact, the sync cable has to all but be pried out of its port.

Maybe I just need to stop being so gentle with them?
    Absolutely love the 755p moving from a Cingular 650.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I think most of the 755P talk has been relative to the 700P. I never owned a 700 model, but I did (and still do) own a 650. Maybe it'd be worthwhile to have a thread for current and former 650 owners to compare and rate the 755P, from their perspectives?
    Great Post! I just purchased a new 755p to upgrade from my 650. Once I get it, I will post with my opinion.
  8.    #8  
    I just sent my first text message using the 755P. I was a little worried, at first, because pressing the down-arrow didn't provide a list of recipients or a "browse" option, but I realized that 1) I could go to the contact and choose "message" from there... then 2) I tried to figure out how to add another recipient and it turned out that I only needed to start typing the name.

I.M. =

I'm still trying to figure out how to set the phone to do what my 650 did: dial by name or number, whichever one matches.
  9.    #9  
    I just streamed internet radio through the 755P, for the first time. Except for the excessive talk (which is purely a content gripe), it was pretty doggone cool.

Hawaii Hip Hop radio, baby. Too bad I didn't get to hear any actual music, though.

BUT IT'S STILL COOL!
    I just streamed internet radio through the 755P, for the first time. Except for the excessive talk (which is purely a content gripe), it was pretty doggone cool.

Hawaii Hip Hop radio, baby. Too bad I didn't get to hear any actual music, though.

BUT IT'S STILL COOL!
    Streaming is WAY cool. I stream music through to my car stereo. Somafm.com for me.
    6) No reset button?
    Of all the changes between the 650/700 and 755p form factors, this is the one I care about the least. With the 650, you have to take the battery cover off to use the reset button. Considering the battery is right there, it's just as easy and fast to pull the battery. In fact it's faster, because you don't have to pull out the stylus. Now if I had one of the Seidio battery covers with a hole for the reset button, then I might care.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Streaming is WAY cool. I stream music through to my car stereo. Somafm.com for me.
    I'm streaming Shoutcast with my 650 at work right now. I'm just looking forward to getting my 755p so there will be less skipping and buffering.
  12. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye View Post
    2) I get stronger signal at my house now with the 755p. I don't have to use my external antenna now that I had to use with my 650.
    This is the best news ever. I work 3 months a year in a very bad reception area. Looking forward to an improvement.
    Does the 755p's Blazer limit downloads from the web to 2MB like on the Sprint 650?
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    One problem I have with the 650 on Sprint in San Francisco is the call sound quality. Six years ago I bought a simple Motorola flip phone that was much better. My 650 is almost impossible to use in a noisy environment such as on a bus or on a side walk of a busy street. I never had that problem with the old Motorola.

I would appreciate additional comments on the phone sound quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    Does the 755p's Blazer limit downloads from the web to 2MB like on the Sprint 650?
    No- there is no limit that I've seen so far. I can download a 9 to 12mb podcast on my 755P rather quickly- convenient!
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejung View Post
    One problem I have with the 650 on Sprint in San Francisco is the call sound quality. Six years ago I bought a simple Motorola flip phone that was much better. My 650 is almost impossible to use in a noisy environment such as on a bus or on a side walk of a busy street. I never had that problem with the old Motorola.

So far for me, the 755 sound is MUCH better than my 650 with VolumeCare
    Oh, this is very promising...
    *looks longingly at stalwart 650*
    Pal, your days may be numbered. Let's just wait and see what Mr. Hawkins has to say at the end of the month...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejung View Post

I've not been in many noisy environments, yet, but the 755P's native sound quality seems superior to the 650's enhanced (i.e. VolumeCare) sound quality.

The speakerphone seems stronger and more crisp.

I've only had it a day and a half, though, and haven't gotten that many calls, so keep that in-mind. It's possible that I've listened to more music than phone calls, at this point.

More later.

EDIT: I've been a bit bothered by the speakerphone, recently. Maybe it's due to Kinoma or low audio-quality podcasts. I dunno. But using the included earbuds worked quite nicely.
    Last edited by west3man; 05/21/2007 at 12:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I stream talk internet radio on my 650 all the time using PT Deluxe. Does the 755 do it without having to install PT Deluxe?
    I'm still trying to figure out how to set the phone to do what my 650 did: dial by name or number, whichever one matches.
    I haven't figured this out yet either. It is a bit frustrating.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast