1.    #1  
    I'm sick and tired of my 650 resetting every now and then because of Nexter (SMS App). It intermittently resets when I receive SMS from the same person in my phonebook (who I've deleted and re-added under a different name to see if it would solve the problem). I always get the same error: "MessageStoreOpenItem: item open already" and it's really pissing me off! I've done everything short of a hard-reset (including deleting the message database file countless times). I'm using an unlocked GSM 1.20-LAP. Can anyone (who has the same SW and has never experienced a reset due to this error) post their nexter prc so I can try it?
    More than likely the resets are being caused either by the the program was written, or because you 650 is allergic to it. Installing a dfferent copy of the PRC file probably isn't going to help.

I'd really recommend a hotsync and nvbackup to backup your data, then do a hard reset, install contacts, calendar, and email if you need, then install nexter and see how it works for you. Don't install any other apps. If your Treo keeps resetting even after a hard reset, then I'd have to say that it's just the program and there's not much you can do about it.

EDIT: Ok, now I see that nexter is the default messaging app. I thought it was a third party one. In that case, simply backup your data, hard reset, and install your contacts. If you keep getting resets, then I'd say it might be your Treo. I'd try a zero-out reset at that point (after backing up any data you need), installing your contacts, and see if that helps fix the problem.
    Less drastic; delete the messaging data in ram. Sounds like it might just be corrupt.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Less drastic; delete the messaging data in ram. Sounds like it might just be corrupt.
    As I said in my post, I've deleted the message database countless times (like everytime my phone reset due to the error). This didn't help. So, it's official, Palm's SMS app is crappy. Oh well. I wonder if this still occurs on the 700p or the 755?
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    As I said in my post, I've deleted the message database countless times (like everytime my phone reset due to the error). This didn't help. So, it's official, Palm's SMS app is crappy. Oh well. I wonder if this still occurs on the 700p or the 755?
    Sheesh, sorry, missed that.

Never had the SMS app on me reset once on the 650 or 680.
    hardware error?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nedmp3 View Post
    hardware error?

You know, I'm almost tempted to think so too... But the weird thing is, it only resets for one person in my contacts list. Not always, but when it resets, it's always due to a message from that person. AND, I've deleted and recreated that person's contact to see if this will solve the problem, which it didn't. Good thing I have msgbackup, because when my 650 resets due to a message, that message doesn't show up in the thread. Only when I use msgbackup does that message show up. It's driving me up the wall!
    You may have corrupted contacts in general. Try exporting your contacts to csv and import it back. You can do this with the Palm desktop software.
    Palm's SMS app is crappy. Oh well. I wonder if this still occurs on the 700p or the 755?
    Sure does, I have a 700p and it locks up and freezes everytime I open an sms message. I end up having to do a reset. I have tried deleting the databases the problem is still there. I am on my third 700 in a year (typical treo hardware crap) and they all locked up so its not hardware. I have tried iambic mail SMS worked with it but didn't like the app. I really wish there small practically substitute for Nexter. Next week Palm is supposed to release an update to the 700. Hopefully this problem is fixed with the update.
    cant say that the update fixes the issue, i have 1.10 installed and still receive resets on my treo 700p with nexter being the cause
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    You know, I'm almost tempted to think so too... But the weird thing is, it only resets for one person in my contacts list. Not always, but when it resets, it's always due to a message from that person. AND, I've deleted and recreated that person's contact to see if this will solve the problem, which it didn't. Good thing I have msgbackup, because when my 650 resets due to a message, that message doesn't show up in the thread. Only when I use msgbackup does that message show up. It's driving me up the wall!
    Manilenio, I was wondering if you could give me some info on msgbackup. I have what is supposed to be version 1.04, but under the "About", it says 1.0. I can't find it anywhere on the web, and the author's site seems to be down. Another thing, I hotsynced it once, and it worked great for exporting a thread. It put it in an obscure directory that took me a while to find. I lost that phone, and I haven't been able to get it to work correctly again when I reinstalled it on other phones. It will not create the directory again, so when I export it gives me a "export failed, check sd card or file name" error.

Could you please send or link me the version you have so I can see if their the same? Also, tell me the directory path on the card so I can manually create it to see if it fixes my error? TIA!!